Giulio Bevilacqua

Do you trust your feelings ?

15 posts in this topic

Hi. 

Why should i trust my feelings and emotions in situations like making decisions ?  I really doubt evry thought and emotion. Why should a "bad" feeling be wrong and a "good" feeling be right ? 

I really can not trust them fully. I always wait for that perfect feeling before taking an action, and often it really doest not express it self and so it takes a lot of time  before i decide something. 

Is intuition a an emotion/object in consciousness , or only a knowing ? 

Also this famous concept of "gut" is an illusion in my opinion. Like sadhguru says " The way you think is the way you feel " and vice versa.

What do you think ? 

I'm curious how you see this . Thank you ?

7 minutes ago, d0ornokey said:

Sounds like ocd?

Ahahaha maybe. I think it is more a chronic scepticism 

Edited by Giulio Bevilacqua

Maybe this helps. In the book Conversations with God part 2, there is a part about real and false feelings. Real feelings here are 'the language of the soul', can be trusted and represent what's true for you. False feelings are 'thoughts masquerading as feelings'.

Copied part from Conversations with God. You can find more context if you search for it online:
You have all said things—ugly things—only to discover that, once having been said, they no longer feel “true.” You have all expressed feelings—from fear to anger to rage—only to discover that, once having been expressed, they no longer reveal how you really feel.

In this way, feelings can be tricky. Feelings are the language of the soul, but you must make sure you are listening to your true feelings and not some counterfeit model constructed in your mind.

Oh, man, so now I can’t even trust my feelings. Great! I thought that was the way to truth! I thought that was what You were teaching me.

It is. I am. But listen, because it is more complex than you now understand. Some feelings are true feelings—that is, feelings born in the soul—and some feelings are counterfeit feelings. These are constructed in your mind.

In other words, they are not “feelings” at all—they are thoughts. Thoughts masquerading as feelings. These thoughts are based on your previous experience and on the observed experience of others. You see someone grimace when having a tooth pulled, you grimace when having your tooth pulled. It may not even hurt, but you grimace anyway. Your reaction has nothing to do with reality, only how you perceive reality, based on the experience of others or on something that’s happened to you in the past. The greatest challenge as human beings is to Be Here Now, to stop making things up! Stop creating thoughts about a pre-sent moment (a moment you “sent” yourself before you had a thought about it). Be in the moment. Remember, you sent your Self this moment as a gift. The moment contained the seed of a tremendous truth. It is a truth you wished to remember. Yet when the moment arrived, you immediately began constructing thoughts about it. Instead of being in the moment, you stood outside the moment and judged it. Then you re-acted. That is, you acted as you did once before.

16 minutes ago, Waken said:

Maybe this helps. In the book Conversations with God part 2, there is a part about real and false feelings. Real feelings here are 'the language of the soul', can be trusted and represent what's true for you. False feelings are 'thoughts masquerading as feelings'.

Copied part from Conversations with God. You can find more context if you search for it online:
You have all said things—ugly things—only to discover that, once having been said, they no longer feel “true.” You have all expressed feelings—from fear to anger to rage—only to discover that, once having been expressed, they no longer reveal how you really feel.

In this way, feelings can be tricky. Feelings are the language of the soul, but you must make sure you are listening to your true feelings and not some counterfeit model constructed in your mind.

Oh, man, so now I can’t even trust my feelings. Great! I thought that was the way to truth! I thought that was what You were teaching me.

It is. I am. But listen, because it is more complex than you now understand. Some feelings are true feelings—that is, feelings born in the soul—and some feelings are counterfeit feelings. These are constructed in your mind.

In other words, they are not “feelings” at all—they are thoughts. Thoughts masquerading as feelings. These thoughts are based on your previous experience and on the observed experience of others. You see someone grimace when having a tooth pulled, you grimace when having your tooth pulled. It may not even hurt, but you grimace anyway. Your reaction has nothing to do with reality, only how you perceive reality, based on the experience of others or on something that’s happened to you in the past. The greatest challenge as human beings is to Be Here Now, to stop making things up! Stop creating thoughts about a pre-sent moment (a moment you “sent” yourself before you had a thought about it). Be in the moment. Remember, you sent your Self this moment as a gift. The moment contained the seed of a tremendous truth. It is a truth you wished to remember. Yet when the moment arrived, you immediately began constructing thoughts about it. Instead of being in the moment, you stood outside the moment and judged it. Then you re-acted. That is, you acted as you did once before.

Such beautiful words 

@Giulio Bevilacqua What is there to trust or distrust about a feeling? A feeling is a feeling. It is actual. It seems like you are asking whether to trust the thought story of meaning related to the feeling. 

8 hours ago, Waken said:

Yet when the moment arrived, you immediately began constructing thoughts about it. Instead of being in the moment, you stood outside the moment and judged it. Then you re-acted. That is, you acted as you did once before.

:x

On 10/17/2019 at 5:05 PM, Serotoninluv said:

@Giulio Bevilacqua What is there to trust or distrust about a feeling? A feeling is a feeling. It is actual. It seems like you are asking whether to trust the thought story of meaning related to the feeling. 

If we take the example of making decisions. You follow something (could be thought,emotions,sensations) and you trust them so to speak. 

Your thoughts, emotions, intuition should be synchronised. 

Otherwise you always be deluded. 

2 hours ago, Giulio Bevilacqua said:

If we take the example of making decisions. You follow something (could be thought,emotions,sensations) and you trust them so to speak. 

Are not decisions thought stories? If I dog chases me and I run away, did I "decide" to run away? I could make up a thought story that "I decided to run away", yet it is just a happening. There was simply a dog chasing me and running away. 

Without the thought story of "decisions" and "trust", what remains? What is actual?

Constructs of decisions and trust can be very practical and valuable at the level of the human. It is a big part of how we interact with the world and our human experience. For example, imagine buying a used car and not feeling good about it. There was something odd about the car salesman and transaction that didn't feel right. You felt a bit too pressured. Three months later, the car breaks down and the salesman says "sorry, all sales are final and there is no warranty". You think "I knew something was wrong with that guy. I made a bad decision. I should have trusted my intuition.". . . This can be helpful at the personal level if we are in a similar situation. We may be buying a house and get a similar feeling and think "I remember this feeling. Someone is not right with this realtor. This time I am going to trust my intuition". So you switch realtors -  and perhaps save yourself from getting scammed again. So the human constructs of decisions and trust are really important for personal evolution/growth and personal survival. 

For human wellness, it is of value to align the mind with body wisdom. For example, a person may go on a date and their body says that it is not a match, there is no resonance and something isn't right. Yet the mind can come in and create all sorts of thought stories "No, I think I am just nervous. She seems like a nice person. I really want to have a girlfriend. Once we get to know each other, it will be fine". This is a mind and body out-of-sync and it will cause inner turmoil. 

On 10/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, Giulio Bevilacqua said:

Why should i trust my feelings and emotions in situations like making decisions ?  I really doubt evry thought and emotion. Why should a "bad" feeling be wrong and a "good" feeling be right ?

Where did you get this silly notion that "bad" feelings are wrong and "good" ones are right? A recent example from my own life. I work towards something I want from morning till midnight. Everything should be alright yet I get this nagging anxiety that I ignore for 2 days. It doesn't go away. Then I say, alright, I'm listening, what are you trying to tell me? And it's obvious. I'm avoiding a problem that I should be facing right now by distracting myself with work. Even though this work is meaningful to me, I use it to distract myself. And I'm getting lonely working away for weeks with no meaningful contact with others. Hadn't I listened to my nagging anxiety I would have kept on working and avoiding this problem for god knows how long. Thankfully a negative emotion pointed my attention to it which I was unable to see with my rational thinking mind.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, Giulio Bevilacqua said:

I really can not trust them fully. I always wait for that perfect feeling before taking an action, and often it really doest not express it self and so it takes a lot of time  before i decide something.

The problem is that you believe that you need "that perfect feeling before taking an action". You don't. Just go do what you want regardless how you feel. Waiting for the "right" feeling is something procrastinators do to avoid doing what they actually need to be doing.

Trust feelings of love and inspiration.

Distrust feelings of fear, anger, and pettiness.

In other words: selfless feelings vs selfish feelings.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.