Philipp

A never ending search for meaning

38 posts in this topic

@ivory only in a hollistic view.

and yes, I do value it, but I’m still applying 

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

Do you make a distinction between meaning and purpose?

@ivory

i think the meaning to life would integrate both.

what do you think? ? 

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

I think all things have a purpose. To survive, procreate, and participate in the interconnectedness of reality. I think purpose is more obvious for some things than others. Like, bees, for example. They have the job of spreading pollen from flower to flower and making honey. Some species are food for other species. I'll have to think about the purpose of human beings. I don't think it's quite as obvious because we do so much harm and very little to provide outside of our families. I guess sometimes we do get eaten, so we've gotta be some kind of food source :)

I guess the question to consider is whether or not we serve a purpose that don't relate to biological concerns.

8 hours ago, Thewritersunion said:

@VeganAwake

humanity: to integrate the individual into the whole

human: maximize love ❤️ 

but  I am sure there is more. The meaning to life is more of a mountain range than a Everest. 

Those are good ones...yeah definitely no limits to the potential. Thanks for sharing ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

7 hours ago, Philipp said:

@ivory I do enjoy sex.  But I enjoy it from my perspective. I don't enjoy if you have sex for example (I mean I don't care haha). If something is real only under on perspective it will fade if you let go of your perspective.

I'm confused. What is your meaning or purpose in life?

@VeganAwake Yes. So life has no meaning, cause everything is as it is. Life is not meaningless either, the idea of meaninglessness require the existence of meaning, which doesn't exist. Still would be happy, if there were some meaning to life. 

Rupert Spira thinks that the meaning of life is to find happiness...he is a smart man!!

For me personally existence = meaning = being...

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@ivory Hey Ivory I am not well-read on existential philosophie, but I do know a little bit. I read Beckert" Waiting for Godot", but that's pretty much it. What wisdom have you drawn from that philosophy? 

Having no purposes is confusing me. Everyone I know and see, seems to follow a goal, to go somewhere. I mean even Leo seems to want certain things. If everything is meaningless I don't why I should want something. It has also to do with the hardship of life. Why struggle, why sweat, to achieve a goal - but every goal is meaningless.. That's is somewhat the thinking I have been having. 

@Philipp Most people have goals because they think it will bring them happiness, complete them, or make them powerful. These are illusions. This search continues because they keep thinking that maybe the next one will work. It never works. There is always more. There is nothing wrong with having goals, but there has to be some understanding that the positive emotions aren't necessarily going to last.

There are ways to be at peace and enjoy life. That's what the existentialists were about. Modern psychology and western spirituality often draw from existential philosophy. The basic premise is, find out what you value, and do that. I spent some time in a western zen monastery. The thing that stood out the most was that the monks didn't waste any time. At all. Ever. Period. They flowed from one thing to the next all day every day. Meditation -> Breakfast -> Work -> Lunch -> Work -> Free time -> Dinner -> Meditation. During free time most people either socialized, exercised, played, or worked on some creative activity. They did not slip into distractions.

Authenticity is another buzz word with the existentialists. Passion, curiosity, enjoyment, and love are all authentic desires (off the top of my head). That is what is worth pursuing. Validation, power, hedonistic pleasures are not.

Regarding the struggles of life, life is hard. All species struggle with survival and the day to day demands of life. Our responsibility is to be strong enough to deal with what life throws at us. Once we have taken care of everything we need to, we have our free time. How we spend it really matters and ultimately brings us satisfaction.

If I could summarize the existentialists, open up to the challenges of life, drop distractions, and do what matters.

1 hour ago, ivory said:

@Philipp Most people have goals because they think it will bring them happiness, complete them, or make them powerful. These are illusions. This search continues because they keep thinking that maybe the next one will work. It never works. There is always more. There is nothing wrong with having goals, but there has to be some understanding that the positive emotions aren't necessarily going to last.

There are ways to be at peace and enjoy life. That's what the existentialists were about. Modern psychology and western spirituality often draw from existential philosophy. The basic premise is, find out what you value, and do that. I spent some time in a western zen monastery. The thing that stood out the most was that the monks didn't waste any time. At all. Ever. Period. They flowed from one thing to the next all day every day. Meditation -> Breakfast -> Work -> Lunch -> Work -> Free time -> Dinner -> Meditation. During free time most people either socialized, exercised, played, or worked on some creative activity. They did not slip into distractions.

Authenticity is another buzz word with the existentialists. Passion, curiosity, enjoyment, and love are all authentic desires (off the top of my head). That is what is worth pursuing. Validation, power, hedonistic pleasures are not.

Regarding the struggles of life, life is hard. All species struggle with survival and the day to day demands of life. Our responsibility is to be strong enough to deal with what life throws at us. Once we have taken care of everything we need to, we have our free time. How we spend it really matters and ultimately brings us satisfaction.

If I could summarize the existentialists, open up to the challenges of life, drop distractions, and do what matters.

Yes I believe Enlightenment is all about being free to be yourself and just do in the spontaneous moment without being attached or requiring things to be a certain way.. they are as they are... dropping the resistance to the current situations. Keeping on the middle path in the present moment as the Observer. It's a beautiful pathless path.

33 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

without being attached or requiring things to be a certain way.. they are as they are... dropping the resistance to the current situations

I agree with that

@Philipp Why questions can be intriguing, yet they also are a downer for the magic show. Imagine going to an amazing magic show with a friend and he kept asking "why". . . "why did the magician tap the box twice? why was there steam instead of smoke? why did birds appear rather than a rabbit? why is he wearing a coat and not a cape? why is his hat red? Why is is magic wand less than 12 inches long?". . . That would drive me crazy. We would miss the whole magic show! 

You are, the meaning you are searching for. The desire for meaning results in the act ,and/or action, of seeking for meaning.

Turn your attention back to that which is aware of the act/action of seeking meaning.  In the recognition that, "I Am That which is aware",of the act and/or action of seeking meaning, the desire and the act of seeking meaning end. The recognition that I Am That, is the recognition that "I Am The Infinite AllThat Is." 
Therefore, "I Am the meaning, and the end, of the desire and action of seeking meaning. ?️

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard