Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

How to listen to the affirmations?

4 posts in this topic

I am new to listening to the affirmations. I have couple concerns...

- Is listening to affirmations passively (while doing something else, not being focused on them) still productive?

- Will it affect my ability to concentrate? Take my mind out of flow state? 

- What are best ways to practice listening to the affirmations? 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

2 hours ago, Rasheed said:

- Is listening to affirmations passively (while doing something else, not being focused on them) still productive?

No. Repeating a task like a monkey does not teach you to do it better, nor listening to something like a monkey affect your brain wirings.

- Will it affect my ability to concentrate? Take my mind out of flow state? 

Multitasking is the best way to kill your productivity, concentration and learning abilities

- What are best ways to practice listening to the affirmations? 

Laser focus on the affirmations you are doing. Some sources on the internet claims that you need to be in meditative theta state for affirmations to work, but personally I found different techniques to work on different areas of improvement.

For body image I used a hypnosis tape that came with affirmations

However, to me words alone on some affirmations just didnt work. For self esteem affirmations I used a technique I developed myself. For example, I worked on my crippling fear of speaking up by doing this:

1 Stand in front of a mirror

2 Clear your mind and focus on the upcoming affirmations

3 Set timer for 5 minutes per affirmation

4 Start repeating your affirmation (For my fear of speaking up I used "I speak up my mind!" with emphasis on "speak" and "my")

5 As you repeat your affirmation, imagine doing the task it in your mind

6 Emotions start to bubble up. Dont fake them, but let them come naturally and dont stop them when they come up. Shout if you want

7 If you get urges to clench your fist, kick, punch air, roar like a lion then let it happen

My self-esteem affirmation practice usually ended up with me smiling, adrealine running through my body as my emotions winded up as I shouted my affirmations. Sometimes I would dance, sometimes I would stand my ground like a gorilla protecting her young while I imagined telling my narcissist co-worker to stick it up where the sun dont shine. This style however did not work with some affirmations, like the body image affirmations.

TL;DR: Find what works for you, and your spesific affirmations. Observe the results you get and dont be a monkey, build up on what works and try something else when it dont work

Hope this helped :)

Edited by Hansu

6 hours ago, Hansu said:

No. Repeating a task like a monkey does not teach you to do it better, nor listening to something like a monkey affect your brain wirings.

Multitasking is the best way to kill your productivity, concentration and learning abilities

Laser focus on the affirmations you are doing. Some sources on the internet claims that you need to be in meditative theta state for affirmations to work, but personally I found different techniques to work on different areas of improvement.

For body image I used a hypnosis tape that came with affirmations

However, to me words alone on some affirmations just didnt work. For self esteem affirmations I used a technique I developed myself. For example, I worked on my crippling fear of speaking up by doing this:

1 Stand in front of a mirror

2 Clear your mind and focus on the upcoming affirmations

3 Set timer for 5 minutes per affirmation

4 Start repeating your affirmation (For my fear of speaking up I used "I speak up my mind!" with emphasis on "speak" and "my")

5 As you repeat your affirmation, imagine doing the task it in your mind

6 Emotions start to bubble up. Dont fake them, but let them come naturally and dont stop them when they come up. Shout if you want

7 If you get urges to clench your fist, kick, punch air, roar like a lion then let it happen

My self-esteem affirmation practice usually ended up with me smiling, adrealine running through my body as my emotions winded up as I shouted my affirmations. Sometimes I would dance, sometimes I would stand my ground like a gorilla protecting her young while I imagined telling my narcissist co-worker to stick it up where the sun dont shine. This style however did not work with some affirmations, like the body image affirmations.

TL;DR: Find what works for you, and your spesific affirmations. Observe the results you get and dont be a monkey, build up on what works and try something else when it dont work

Hope this helped :)

Wow, what you said was very counter intuitive, but still very helpful. I really like the practice, which you are doing, good job. 

I understood your point and it makes sense to me, but what do you think about subconscious mind programming...In this case, when we passive listen to affirmations, I think subconscious is still picking up on it, and it is elating the positive imprint. What is your opinion about that?

Also, I like that you do your affirmations in front of the mirror, keep doing that because that will improve your results. 

Edited by Rasheed

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

3 hours ago, Rasheed said:

I think subconscious is still picking up on it, and it is elating the positive imprint. What is your opinion about that?

One of the ways affirmations work is that they are part of law of attraction.

Yous subconscious may pick the words you say or hear, but if you listen like a monkey then thats all that happens. Your subconscious picks up the message. So? Magical gnomes appear and start working for you to achieve whatever your goal is while you sit on your ass?

When you concentrate on those affirmations, you are not so much changing your subconscious with the words but instead you are priming your mind to change your subconscious so that it will pursue those words

You tell, with conviction, to yourself that you are going to make a million dollars long enough and eventually you start to think like a millionaire. The three or four words in themselves are not a magical sources of wisdom that pull in some kind of universal energy that turns you into a millionaire. One sentence is not that strong, its the work that you do around that sentence that is the power behind your path to being a millionaire.

Monkey listens to something with one ear and lets whatever it hears out the other. Dont be a monkey :)

Edit: I may have made this sound more difficult than it is. You dont have to understand any of this for affirmations to work for you. You simply need to concentrate on your affirmations, thats the most important note to take away here. Do them for few months and you'll probably learn what I explained in your first hand experience, you'll be amazed!