Homo Lucens

Consciousness and Awareness - same thing?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all! 

I've noticed how in many language consciousness and awareness are translated to the same thing.

After some discussion and contemplation with my friend I really would like to hear your take on whether you believe there (should) exists a difference in the definition of 'awareness' and 'consciousness'. 

Thoughts? 

@Nahm I must say there was a time when I wasn't aware of consciousness. :D

13 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

I bet you were conscious of awareness tho ? 

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I bet you were conscious of awareness tho ? 

I was aware that I was a aware but not conscious of the awareness that was aware.

27 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

?...and there was but one set of footprints.

I once meditated so deeply into consciousness, that I became a wolf. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

57 minutes ago, Nahm said:

?...and there was but one set of footprints.

I once meditated so deeply into consciousness, that I became a wolf. 

@Nahm Unadulterated consciousness is very pliable. 

7 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Homo Lucens Welcome to Crazytown. What kind of differences did you guys come up with?

Hahaha, thank you for the warm welcome.  No doubt i'll fit right in hahaha.

The question was mostly related to this article:  https://www.scienceandnonduality.com/article/are-consciousness-and-awareness-the-same

In which I found this quote:

“Awareness is primordial; it is the original state, beginningless, endless, uncaused, unsupported, without parts, without change. Consciousness is on contact, a reflection against a surface, a state of duality. There can be no consciousness without awareness, but there can be awareness without consciousness, as in deep sleep. Awareness is absolute, consciousness is relative to its content; consciousness is always of something. Consciousness is partial and changeful, awareness is total, changeless, calm and silent. And it is the common matrix of every experience.”  
~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

Personally I have considered awareness and consciousness as two sides one coin, but then after some discussion and reading this article I'm thinking one might nest itself in the other, one being prior to the other. 

@Homo Lucens Being sort of argumentative for fun and the sake of the convo....I’d offer that have directly ‘experienced’ (been / and am) consciousness during sleep, without anything at all serving as something to be conscious of , and that his reference to consciousness basically equating to reflection, or the knowing of knowledge, specifically involving the brain - that consciousness requires something to be conscious of - is missing a deeper dive into the fundamental self, and the heart of nonduality. It strikes me as there’s a possibility there is ‘scientist’ bias at play. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE