Raptorsin7

Could A Drug Addict Become Enlightened

35 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Serotoninluv Good point. A better way to phrase it would be, could an addict achieve enlightenment experiences through meditation, which have an profound impact on his life  like many people on this forum claim the experience effects them, but all the while still being popping heroin pills multiple times per day. i'm curious if there's any behavior patterns which would prevent these enlightenment experiences from happening, or is it simple causation where if you do enough meditation and inquiry you will achieve a break through.

It would depend more on that person's individual path, level of consciousness through natural life experience and how aligned with Truth they are, rather than whether they are addicted or not.

Nothing is black and white in this work, or Absolute.  Only Truth is Absolute.  All else is relative.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Absolutely not, nor can a sober person.

Edited by MiracleMan

Grace

Most addicts quit developing emotionally at the time they start using. For instance, a 40 year old alcoholic who started hard at the age of 18 will often act like an 18 year old with the juvenile impulses and values.   Once they quit using and get clean it usually takes a few years before they start growing again.   Addicts tend to be pretty narcissistic and part of my growth was to realize other people exist independent of myself and get to make their own choices.   Addicts tend to be more concerned about their own selfish little worlds. 

On 14/10/2019 at 10:33 PM, Serotoninluv said:

@Raptorsin7 Enlightened/mystical experiences are difficult to predict or create there are so many variables. Even people that have dedicated their entire lives to teaching awakening cannot willfully transmit it to another. Consider people that spend years in therapy. The counselor may know the person’s block, yet is often unable to stimulate that in the patient, such that the patient has an “Ah ha!” realization and “gets it”. 

In a way, it’s like getting struck by lightening. It’s rare, yet we can increase our chances. We could climb to the top of a hill during a thunderstorm and hold up a metal rod to the sky. If that person was wearing a rubber suit, the odds would go down. Similarly, there are various methods to help induce getting struck by spiritual realization lightening. If someone is meditating drunk, I would say the chances go down. If someone was obsessed with getting revenge on someone, the odds go down. If someone is ocd worrying about failing a chemistry exam, the odds go down.

I knew a recovering alcoholic who told me about his last drink. He took his seven year old son out boating to go fishing. He drank for hours and got sloppy drunk. His son fell out of the boat and was struggling to get back in. The drunken father was yelling and slipping as he sorta tried to get his son back in the boat. Then he had a moment of clarity. He said it was like an out of body experience in which he clearly saw himself and his son. He saw the fear and struggle in his son. Not just fear of drowning, also the fear the son had of the drunken father. He observed himself in relation to his son. No rationalized bullshit, justifications, defenses, avoidances etc. He saw clearly for a moment and it stuck. He said he snapped back into him and no longer felt drunk and was now on a new path. That was his last drink. I met him 20 years after that incident and he said he still remembers it like it was yesterday. Timeless and transcendent. His relationship with his son was transformed and he started to help other alcoholics to recover. . . . This is a rare event, yet it happens. How and why does it happen? We don’t know. Was it divine intervention? Or perhaps trillions of inputs that came together at that one moment to create a “big bag” awakening. . . . The closet we have at his point to stimulate such awakenings is psychedelics. They greatly increase the chance, yet the odds are still relatively low on a single trip. There are so many factors. Yet as we learn more about the mechanism of psychedelics that number will increase.

@SoonHei Great video. I haven’t come across Paul. He expresses nonduality well. Thanks ? 

What would be divine is no suffering and no craving for addiction to things in the firstplace. Only pleasure as on mdma all the time. If there is a down. That's not because god is virtuous but only cause he is a whore.

God is the girl that trump fuck everyday. Right in the pussy

If god was good he would never have created dualities. For me there is no god. Only satan. And he is so satanic that he makes human believe that they can act selfless/love. Another satanic delusion.

All dualities is satan work. And god is equal to Satan cause he is everything.

When you do good. You are working toward your own self. There is only ego.

Should I love god for making me ? Or should I hate him for the all dualities.

Anyway doesn't change a thing what I believe. God is always laughing.

Maybe I should try 5 meo. But it will probably just validate my view.

Edited by Aeris

They can. Once they wake up, they often abandon their addiction(s), but not always. If they do keep an addiction, it's often enjoyable and it just seems to continue to happen. The body can be dependent on anything.

The self is already free from desire. But usually in order to make the greedy pig get off from its pseudo love object (to understand real love that's free from ego) a stick is required. So liberation is possible to anyone but only through rigorous self-discipline. I've seen many people do that. But only with alcohol. Drugs.. might be a more serious problem. I'd say it's better to stay as far as possible from them.

Stay cool & dry.

@Raptorsin7 How exactly do you plan to have a meditation practice if you are addicted to drugs?

Just in case it hasnt crossed your mind, when you are addicted to hard drugs like heroin, meth, cocaine, etc... When you are not on them your brain functions like shit. So theres no way you are going to be able to meditate properly. 

I have heard that Byron Katie had an enlightenment experience during a period of alcoholism. 

You tell me. 

Where is AK 47 and what's up with hats I don't wear 'em.Black dress code, accurate. 

Nobody and I repeat nobody takes my kitchen. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

Drugs and alcohol are addictive to the body for the state it brings, physical and mental like any other experience. I have personally through direct experience been addicted to substances solely for the awakening aspect. Like most people who feel like they’re more of a person on a substance they lean on or with. Any substance has it’s edge on enlightenment over the others. The positive experiences on harder stuff has muddy waters but can be very profound. Since the harder stuff experience is shrouded in bias of the word healthy it’s less likely to come across the more in depth positive sides and communities of hard drugs.

The fire burning in addiction to exist greater than you are is impossible to ignore. 

Edited by Mindflow

On 16/10/2019 at 8:14 PM, drmiller100 said:

Most addicts quit developing emotionally at the time they start using. For instance, a 40 year old alcoholic who started hard at the age of 18 will often act like an 18 year old with the juvenile impulses and values.   Once they quit using and get clean it usually takes a few years before they start growing again.   Addicts tend to be pretty narcissistic and part of my growth was to realize other people exist independent of myself and get to make their own choices.   Addicts tend to be more concerned about their own selfish little worlds. 

Great though, you are talking about my father. Was dramatic to be him or be close of him. Addicts are disgraceful people. I think in severe cases the suffering could be so high that could induce an awakening experience

Edited by Breakingthewall

On 10/14/2019 at 3:30 AM, Raptorsin7 said:

If someone were severely addicted to drugs (like heroin), where there life was consumed by the addiction, but they also spent hours a day meditating with proper technique and good concentration, could they become enlightened while at the same being addicted to drugs. Have there been examples of famous meditation teachers who were addicted to drugs while teaching?

I guess one alternative could be the drug addict losing their addiction through the process of meditation and inquiry before they become enlightened.

This is basically The Beatles. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

On 14.10.2019 at 5:27 PM, Conscious life said:

Drug Addict It's has nothing to do with enlightenment, but it is hindrance for enlightenment. 

We all Addict to certain things, like coffee, talking, theorising, acohol can be a gateway drug, thinking etc. 

An addict will become enlightened only when he gives up his addiction to drugs. Otherwise, it is very difficult to talk about enlightenment.

Edited by williamramirez