Robi Steel

The cultural importance of "Joker" (spoilers)

2 posts in this topic

Anyone else saw the joker movie?

First of all, the joker is a genius movie all by itself and Joaquin Phoenix performance had me gripped almost every second of the film. The joker is a film about a lost middle-aged man who still lives with his mother and virtually nobody around him cares for him. One tragedy upon the next happens in his life.  He goes from trying to be good towards embracing evil and becoming the Joker. Even though Arthur Fleck makes all the wrong decisions, he earns his right to exist and be heard. He is the villain but we understand him. 

the final scenes of the movie really blew me away and overloaded me with excitement and shock. The joker itself is apolitical but much political commentary can be found in the film that doesn't favour left or right. It is about the 1% and the concentration of the wealth at the top and the painful existence at the bottom. It is about a white man being abused by his mother (also by everyone else) who turns into a mass shooter.

There is a lot in this movie.  

Edited by Robi Steel

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

Joker stoked the flames that were already there from the top 1% "chads" experiencing pleasures you cannot imagine, while those at the bottom suffer from so many problems at the same time, just avoiding suicide taking a lot of willpower out of them, facing problems that everyone else thinks define their personality and flaws, when they weren't caused by them at all