Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Don

The dark side of meditation: is depression a mental illness?

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm still going through episodes of depression as a result of raising my consciousness by practicing meditation.

Some people claim depression is a mental illness. It's hard for me to believe that.

Is depression a mental illness? Really?

On the other hand, in this video, @Leo Gura mentioned that meditation is not all rainbows and butterflies. He's right. He also mentioned that 'bad moods' as a byproduct of meditation are signs of growth.

So... What's the purpose of depression? Why am I depressed? Why am I having feelings of meaninglessness?

Am I having all those negative emotions because they were in my psyche and now my own mind is getting purified by meditation?

Am I having all those "bad" feelings and negative emotions because the ego is overwhelmed by the process of growing my consciousness?

What's actually happening here? I'm still pretty confused.

Edited by The Don
To correct a few sentences.

Me on the road less traveled.

The negative and unwholesome mental states like frustration, boredom, anxiety, sadness, depression, meaninglessness are all a temporary process where you become more and more aware of the unconscious mind's projections. There are a lot of challenging emotions to deal with. This is the bulk of the suffering. And this purification process usually takes a few years before joy and happiness arise.  If you don't cultivate joy and happiness every day regardless of these emotions (the attempt is enough) and just let these negative states take over in meditation and daily life, your integration and progress on the path will come significantly to a halt.

Here is my post about this if you want further help: 

9 hours ago, The Don said:

Am I having all those negative emotions because they were in my psyche and now my own mind is getting purified by meditation?

Am I having all those "bad" feelings and negative emotions because the ego is overwhelmed by the process of growing my consciousness?

I would say the first one rather than the second one, the second one is not too likely imo, and also could be third option, you feel depressed now and it doesn't really have much to do with your meditation practice, or 4th, you were depressed for a bit but been distracting yourself/repressing the feelings so you didn't even notice that much that you were depressed, but now meditation is stopping that distracting/repressing and puting some light on the fact that you are feeling a bit depressed now (which is a good thing, distracting yourself/repressing feelings is not solving anything, that's just building more and more a timebomb)

@The Don "Depression" is just a sign that MAYBE you are not in-line with your lifes purpose. Maybe you are slacking off with something that distracts you from your true goal in this life. Deep down you know whats causing this, maybe you just need some time off from everything, maybe you are tired, maybe your MANLY core values are not met. Only YOU can know whats wrong.

Mahadev

2 hours ago, ardacigin said:

The negative and unwholesome mental states like frustration, boredom, anxiety, sadness, depression, meaninglessness are all a temporary process where you become more and more aware of the unconscious mind's projections.

That is true. Right now as I'm writing this I'm pretty OK. I'm not depressed; at least not anymore.

I'll keep myself mindful. Mindfulness is helping me a lot.

Can be many factors, and sometimes it means you just need to take a break from this world, go meditate or (semi-)nap.

But if you can really love someone, then that cures it. 

Chances are you are going to keep cycling between depression and clarity for some time. I've been through this, and I can tell you that's how it's going to play out. Be careful with all of the advice you get on this forum. There are plenty who have no idea what they are talking about and can lead you down the wrong path. Too many ideas, too much confusion, will only keep you stuck. Only you can figure out what's causing your depression. I wish you the best.

21 hours ago, The Don said:

What's the purpose of depression?

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

3 hours ago, ivory said:

Only you can figure out what's causing your depression. I wish you the best.

Thank you, man.

I truly appreciate your advice.

I'm starting to notice what's causing my depression and I'm conscious of the fact that I'm getting significantly better.

I know I'll be fine because I'm much stronger than I thought I was.

Anyway, I hope as well that you're OK.