peanutspathtotruth

What To Do When Someone Is Psychotic

11 posts in this topic

So there's this colleague of mine whom I have been knowing for 5 years now. Around a year ago he started talking to me about star constellations and how he can foresee the future and stuff, so I was already worried. Then, about 7 months ago he quit his job at our company and a short time after that he sent me vocal messages that made clear to me that a psychosis did break out. As I understood it, he took DMT and the latent psychosis broke out. He thinks he knows everything about the world, he is the savior and the apocalypse lies before us. He says his body is made of crystals, he has contact to the nation's presidents and he is writing a book where he adds to Tesla's explorations to explain the whole world. And much more - he is very hysterical about it and he wants us all to believe him. He sleeps with a knife in his hands because he's scared his neighbours would rape him, he recently jumped out of a window on LSD and had to go to the hospital.
He was allowed to come back to his old job and he brought this behaviour into work - I had to intervene because we all felt threatened, so he's out again.

He doesn't want to see that he needs help. His best friends are trying to convince him for months now. The parents don't know what to do. A psychological emergency was alarmed, the police as well, but somehow they didn't find it necessary to get him into a mental hospital. Here in Germany, you can't force someone into a mental hospital, only they themselves can have themselves commited. Only if he threatens someone can you do something. And although I'm not close to him, I'm worrying about him. He could kill himself. He could hurt others. The psychosis could become unhealable, if it isn't already.

Everyone who knows him is worried. We don't know what to do. We want to help but we don't know how. Does anyone have any idea what could be done?

Aiyaiyai..

That's tough. I've been around a few people like that, maybe not that far out, but in that direction. I don't really know the answer here. Maybe it's like waiting for a storm to pass. It's really good you have your eye on him. Hopefully he will realize that he needs some help, and that he knows he can turn to someone when he needs it. It's a tough situation. Be safe, make sure the people around him are safe too.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

How do you think a mental hospital would help him? Stuff him with pills that "block his dopamine" because his delusions are a chemical disbalance?

It is a tough situation though. Im sorry.

@outlandish Yes, we all try to be there and watch what happens. I'm a little worried the storm won't pass. It's been 6 months or so and it's getting worse. He's still taking drugs which doesn't make it any better. I'm really scared it's going to be permanent which is really possible. 

@Manjushri Yes I know, you're right... The thing is, we can't do anything. I have no idea how to handle even a communication with him. I'm telling him I believe anything he says because I don't know what happens if I don't believe him. His friends try to tell him he needs help. But he says he can handle it with tea and detox.... You know, I just have this hope that a professional could help him. I don't know, probably nature and physical work and complete withdrawal from media and the city would be a great start. 

I just don't know what to do...

@peanutspathtotruth

I am from Germany and my nrother went through something similar, trust me mental hospitals here are so bad really bad. 

My brother calmed down with esting raw food and cleaning his guts but he remains delusional, which I now am totally sure is a spirit possesion and needs to be dealt with. 

Spirit possesion is true I didnt believe it either, but I had my own experiences too now.

If you want contact me and we'll exchange some informatiom

So, he’s been psychotic for 7 months? And he’s still taking drugs? He won’t be able to heal unless he stops taking everything. Once he’s sober from all the substances, he needs to prioritize his health. In my opinion you can only help people to an extent, I would say, just be there for him (support and relationships is vital) and help him get off the drugs by reminding him about it. 

"You Create Magic" 

@peanutspathtotruth  in some situations it might be better to take some psychatric drugs prescribed by a doctor to calm one down to then get open again for the talking part or alternative methods, one of the more important parts is getting a diagnosis on what is really going on even for alternative methods. does he sleep? would you say it`s manic or is he hearing voices? maybe one solution would be to go send him to a psychtric psychotherapist who then can say weather he is really in a state where he could hurt himself or not, because  aside from hurting others, the attempt of hurting  oneself is also a legal reason to put a person into psychatric hospital. jumping out of a window could count as an attempt. maybe even bringing him to the point to go to a psychatrist to take some drugs could be helping. i`m not sure, but does he want to work again? wouldn`t he want to get rid of his fears and sleep like he used to sleep before? maybe you could tell him if he wants to work again he has to at least do a therapy. he needs to get aware of his psychosis to the point where he really wants help, that`s the only way. maybe asking a psychologist to convince him. what about his family?

Edited by remember

I had the so-called psychosis in 2015. Every psychosis is a spiritual emergency, but not every spiritual emergency is a psychosis.

When we can't observe our ego, we tend to get into psychosis, but, when we can observe our ego, the spiritual emergency tends to be calmer. The approach to help him also depends on his paradigm. If he's utterly Blue or Orange, a psychiatric hospital may be a good choice. If he's utterly Orange or Green, maybe some specific places such as Soteria houses (if I'm not wrong, there are Soteria houses in Germany, like this one: https://www.zfp-web.de/) and programs such as Open Dialogue are a better choice.

Remember that your friend is a reflection of your own fears. Depending of his "psychosis", he's facing deep layers of fears, maybe even related to his childhood traumas. You mentioned he was afraid of being raped, so there's a good chance of him being raped when he was a child.

Unconditional love is the answer for these cases, so you'll have to stay really present with him, but, and that's a big BUT, take care of your own fears. Be safe too.

I hope this helps :)

Edit: you may want to take a look at these materials:

• The book Rethinking Madness by Paris Williams, Ph.D (the PDF is for free: http://www.rethinkingmadness.com/);
  • Every Daniel Mackler's documentaries;
  • Sean Blackwell's videos about healing bipolar on YouTube (it may seem that bipolar is a different thing, but it's very similar and also helps to heal other types of mental conditions);
  • The book Am I Bipolar Or Waking Up by Sean Blackwell (the PDF is for free: https://www.bipolarawakenings.com/);
  • Materials of Stanislav Grof (he has some old views about spiritual emergency and psychosis, but it's still worthy to take a look);
  • Some videos of Laura Delano on YouTube;
  • Will Hall's website has some resources: https://willhall.net/.
Edited by brugluiz
More information

I've suffered from psychosis earlier. Definitely a spiritual emergency.

A psychotic drowns in the same waters where a mystic swims with delight. Meds were not the answer for me. Yoga and meditation works miracles.

https://aapo.blog/

my personal website-actualized since 2015-just waiting for the day-we have the first guys on the forum

born on 2015 :P

I think this is actually a person I would put on antipsychotic drugs...at least few of them. He is a potential danger to the neighbourhood and from what you say may as well be beyond help in his current state of mind. He needs help but for that to happen he needs to be grounded....may be in this case means being turned a little bit more into vegetable for some time.  

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 10/23/2019 at 2:27 PM, Michael569 said:

I think this is actually a person I would put on antipsychotic drugs...at least few of them. He is a potential danger to the neighbourhood and from what you say may as well be beyond help in his current state of mind. He needs help but for that to happen he needs to be grounded....may be in this case means being turned a little bit more into vegetable for some time.  

It's easier the neighbourhood be a potential danger to him than otherwise.