Lubomir

Do names in some way determine character of a person?

6 posts in this topic

Do you guys think that your name is somehow lead you into some form of behavior? And I'm talking about overall behavior or concrete aspects of it, not some specific situations.

Maybe it's just stupid idea, but I don't know any:

Monika - that isn't materialistic, kinda shallow, live life like "everyone else"

Klára - that isn't crazy, rough and have sharp opinions (kinda radical)

Kamila - that isn't mysterious, likes to talk about deep stuff

And so on... for these 3 names I do know atleast 3 girls with that name. I know it's nothing in terms of some social theories, but still. It's not hard for me to gues a name of a girl/guy when I get to know her/him.

Opinions? :)

This is true in every culture & religion.

Toshihiko Izutsu says you shouldn't revealed your real name to anyone. Especially if you're a woman.

Your name is yourself in a nutshell. In my culture, we choose a meaningful names. It was never something which has no meaning. 

Islamic names are all good. We don't have a meaningless name. You can't choose a bad name for your newborn. It will have an effect to their life.

I have observed this on every new person that I meet. Their name is a reflection of themselves. Their characters. Their life in a nutshell. 

Some people have many names. But known for one. Like Muhammad. He have many other names. 

But i'm not sure about names which have no meanings..

Maybe you're the first to create a meaning out of it.

Edited by Angelite

I theorize that a name usually has something to with the persons background and with the cultural expectations. Like where I live, the name "Niko" is a traditional name while "Nico" is considered to be a wannabe american white trash variation of the name Niko.

People named Nico are more often less successfull than people named Niko where I live and I think its because its more popular among less succesfull "white trash" parents. Those parents are more open to alternative styles of names while more succesfull parents are less open because they fear that they or their child will be discriminated for giving a "bad name" to their child.

This reminds me of a reddit post where someone wondered whether he/she should give their child non-black name to boost their career.

This is just my theory, take it with a pinch of salt

@Angelite So I'm not alone... :)

Yeah, I agree. Those names i mentioned are Slavic or comes from ancient Greek, they have their reasons too.

For example my name Lubomír means "Person who love peace" or just "peaceful" and I do find myself in it. I'm really calm type, even when I'm happy I don't throw away so much energy. I'm also extremely tolerant which can lead into future problems.

@Hansu Yeah, exactly. I'm sure there is psychological and social explanation for it. But I also think it can be even on spiritual level.

Little did i know that light wasn't only electricity.

B R E A T H E

maybe there's some but i dont think it's a very strong correlation between the person and the name compared to other things