Raphael

Let's get pratical #1: 1h of meditation per day

222 posts in this topic

2 November 2019

Time: 45 minutes

Summary: I kept my eyes closed during the entire session, even if I found it quite difficult. I let go of everything and was in a thought storm today, I also had some burning feelings in my body because of stress. I didn't felt more conscious when I opened my eyes.

@Raphael Are you at the point where you are aware of your own thoughts? Can you turn your attention on your thoughts and just watch your thinking for a few seconds?

Edited by Raptorsin7

1 hour ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Raphael Are you at the point where you are aware of your own thoughts? Can you turn your attention on your thoughts and just watch your thinking for a few seconds?

I'm not sure. I know I can see my thoughts for a few seconds, but I think I'm still immersed in them. Most of the time, I don't even remember my thoughts after the session.

@Raphael Start getting used to seeing or noticing thoughts during meditation. Try and pay attention and realize when you are lost in thinking then bring your self back to the present moment. Just keep repeating that. Sit---Get lost in thought------See thought or notice you're not present anymore--------Come back to the present. 

@Raphael No problem keep it up. I am making major progress right now and I feel like i was at around your level of practice recently so i might be able to recognize where you need to focus your attention to improve because i'm so close to the situation.

3 December 2019

Time: 45 minutes

Summary: I kept my eyes closed during the entire session and choose to follow @Raptorsin7's advice and found it harder than just letting go. I suppose that's normal as consciousness demands a certain effort. Sometimes I felt some movements in my brain as if the left and right parts were trying to merge. I was pretty aware when my thoughts were taking over so I try to get back to consciousness when it was happening. It wasn't perfect and I failed sometimes, but most of the time I was conscious of it. I felt more aware when I opened my eyes.

19 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Raphael Start getting used to seeing or noticing thoughts during meditation. Try and pay attention and realize when you are lost in thinking then bring your self back to the present moment. Just keep repeating that. Sit---Get lost in thought------See thought or notice you're not present anymore--------Come back to the present. 

Let's Push To 1 Hour

I have been meditating every day for 45 minutes without opening my eyes. The first phase of my objective is then completed and it's time to move to the next step. I will start tomorrow and it will go the same as for 45 minutes, my goal is now to meditate for 1 hour for at least 30 days without opening my eyes.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:13 AM, Raphael said:
  • Step 1: 45 minutes of meditation per day
  • Step 2: 1 hour of meditation per day

@Raphael Thanks for the shout out! Keep it up, do what feels right. If you have questions about how to grow your practice ask people here they are a great resource. 

4 December 2019

Time: 28 minutes 48 seconds
Eyes always closed: No

Summary: I didn't meditate that much today, maybe it was because of the apprehension and challenge to push to 1 hour or maybe because of how consistent I have been the last 30 days so that I need a little break from meditation. Anyway, I had a lot of thoughts during this session and was also quite excited. I didn't felt more conscious when I opened my eyes.

Hey, good luck to you. I'm doing 1 hour meditation too, but only in two 30 min sessions. An entire 1 hour sitting is too stressful for my legs and back. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

@Pramit Have you thought about doing an hour but just adjusting yourself during the meditation. Usually if i experience pain I can adjust myself slightly and the tension gets released. Don't buy the hype about not moving during meditation. When you are starting out, 1 hour of meditation with slight movements is better than 30 minutes of no movement.

@Pramit Thanks, I already did a few 1 hour sessions in the past, but never created a consistent habit.

5 December 2019

Time: 58 minutes 40 seconds
Eyes always closed: No

Summary: I opened my eyes at 19 minutes because I had to inform my grandma about something. I also got distracted near the end by a  message on my phone, so I opened my eyes before 1 hour. I choose to let go of everything for this session and I think I will do the same for several following sessions to accustom myself to 1 hour in the beginning. I had a lot of thoughts today and the ending was a little painful, however, I felt a little more conscious when I opened my eyes.

6 December 2019

Time: 1 hour
Eyes always closed: Yes

Summary: Here we are, 1 hour of meditation without opening my eyes. Interestingly, I found it easier than I expected, maybe because I let go of everything and authorized my mind to do whatever it wanted. The ending was more complicated and I moved my body a little more, I also felt like the last few minutes were endless. I didn't felt more conscious when I opened my eyes, maybe because I was so distracted by my thoughts.

On 05/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, Raptorsin7 said:

Have you thought about doing an hour but just adjusting yourself during the meditation. Usually if i experience pain I can adjust myself slightly and the tension gets released. Don't buy the hype about not moving during meditation. When you are starting out, 1 hour of meditation with slight movements is better than 30 minutes of no movement.

Thanks, I'll try that 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

7 December 2019

Summary: Today's meditation was similar to yesterday. I let go of everything and it globally went well even thought pushing to 1 hour was a little painful. I moved more my body, did some burps, and searched my nose near the end. I also had some moments where I felt becoming more conscious and merging with everything and other moments where I felt losing consciousness. I didn't felt highly conscious when I opened my eyes.

8 December 2019

TIme: 47 minutes 3 seconds

Summary: This session started well but ended in pain as I failed to push through 1 hour. I found it very difficult to maintain myself in position after maybe 35 - 40 minutes and started to move my body a lot. I didn't felt more conscious when I stopped.

9 December 2019

TIme: 59 minutes 15 seconds

Summary: Most of today's meditation went pretty smoothly until maybe the last 10 - 15 minutes. I was overall calmer than despite the monkey mind. The ending was painful, I moved my body a lot and did some burps. I opened my eyes before 1 hour without feeling more conscious.

10 December 2019

Eyes always closed: Yes

Summary: Success! This session went well, I had a lot of thoughts, but I didn't move my body a lot. I felt happy during this meditation and I had one important insight: love is what is needed to meditate longer and do well in life. If I don't love meditating, I cannot meditate properly, so the solution to last longer and have awesome meditation sessions is to generate infinite and boundless love. I felt great when I opened my eyes, but I also feel that the more I meditate the less I'm able to notice a difference of consciousness. It's maybe because I'm becoming able to retain this state in my daily life, which is a great thing.