Amy

Running too much?

13 posts in this topic

I have been a runner for a dozen years. I wouldn’t consider myself a long distance runner, but I have completed 4 half marathons, a full marathon, and many 5ks some of which I came in second or third place in my age category.  My happy place is probably 5 miles/8 k.

I stopped running recently when I had my baby.  I restarted this summer and have been doing well. It was suggested to me to go for another half marathon. I have been training my ass off for it knowing that I won’t do as well as I did years ago.  However I do enjoy it and it helps keep me fit. If I do a shorter run the baby comes with me in a jogging stroller.

My point is the people that I associate with that are non-runners probably think i am crazy.  I am close to 40 years old, but I don’t feel it. I don’t know many people my age that run 20 plus miles a week. I know I shouldn’t care what people think of me, but I do. 

Am I getting too old for this?

I had seen a guy who was in an older running event shirt and he looked like he was 70. Jogged just fine. I think it is more of a mental thing than anything. You love running obviously. I think it is one of those things that can help keep a lot of balance in your life and keep you stable going through harder times too. It's a big tool for me in my personal development. 

Edited by Average Investor

definitely, you should absolutely stop exercising.

it's only for young people

who wants to be healthy, live longer, and feel good anyways ?

I've changed my account password to something I don't remember. 

I do not support actualized.org anymore

goodluck

@Proactive yeah I see your point! Lol. Some people in my family tell me I will ruin my legs, knees, and feet. Running is a huge part of who I am. I know I shouldn’t get attached to labels.  I know we are not are hobbies and we should not get too attached to our current state of our bodies.  It’s just hard because I feel true to myself on a good run.

hehe just joking,

I have no idea if your running too much.

I run moderately and i'm still at the age where I can just jump off a building without being scared of dieing.

So yeah

I've changed my account password to something I don't remember. 

I do not support actualized.org anymore

goodluck

@Amy mind your diet, if you suffer a lot of inflammation and injuries and don't feel 100% most of the time, perhaps adjust diet but damn that's awesome! You can totally make new friends who are living the same lifestyle as you to ease the worries. Also i dare you to ask people you know who are nonrunners if you are crazy. If you completely understand why you run then being crazy to others is something one could embrace xD

You use it or you lose it, so keep it up! i would recommend other forms of exercise as well to increase your strength and resilience as you age. Incorporate some resistance training and some high intensity interval training to give yourself a well rounded fitness routing along with the steady state cardio. The resistance training if done correctly/appropriately will strengthen your joints and provide structural balance so you stay running for longer.

Not to mention nothing is better bang for your buck time spent exercising than HIIT intervals. If you are pressed for time or want to devote more of your time elsewhere, ditch the hour run and you can get an intense HIIT workout in in 10-15 mins.

Edited by TrynaBeTurquoise

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

On 10/6/2019 at 1:10 AM, Amy said:

My point is the people that I associate with that are non-runners probably think i am crazy.  I am close to 40 years old, but I don’t feel it. I don’t know many people my age that run 20 plus miles a week. I know I shouldn’t care what people think of me, but I do. 

Good for you! That is amazing.

Also: you're not old at all, time to get angry at the people making you feel that way, because they are fucking you over with that toxic message.

My advice: stop associating with those people or you will slowly but surely eventually give up and become like them. It is crucial for you to find new friends who are on this level. Not caring what people think is great, but influence from your social environment will eventually get ya. These are strong forces, a deeply ingrained mechanism designed to make us fit in with our tribe. So we have to pick our tribe carefully. Every second spent with a friend pulling you down, is one you could have spent being uplifted and motivated by a better friend.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

On 10/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Amy said:

I am close to 40 years old, but I don’t feel it. I don’t know many people my age that run 20 plus miles a week. I know I shouldn’t care what people think of me, but I do. 

Absolutely not too old for this. 

I know so many people who are your age or older who are running 40 mile + weeks, men and women. They are some of the fittest, happiest, healthiest, most glowing people I know.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish @flowboy thank you for your advice. I definitely need to find some fitness and running friends. Also- thank you so much for that YouTube video! That woman is so amazing. Such an inspiration...

@Amy 40 is a great age for long-distance running. Below is an age histogram for the 2017 Chicago marathon. 40 years old was the most common age of runners for both men and women. And there were more 50 y.o. women marathon runners than 22 y.o. women. Some cities have running clubs that are popular with runners 35+

1*P9ZeewedGeS0IExvGfx4oA.png