The Don

As we become more conscious, how can we break out of nihilism?

28 posts in this topic

Hello.

Day by day, as I'm meditating, I'm becoming more conscious and at the same time, I observe the fact that I have a tendency to lose myself in nihilism.

As you all know, nihilism leads to depression and despair.

Who wants to live a life in despair? Nobody.

When someone becomes enlightened, how does he keep himself happy? I know that happiness is not an emotional state. I'm talking about a different kind of happiness; for example, a sane and lucid mind.

On this spiritual path, how can we give meaning to our lives? How can we keep ourselves safe and away from the trap of nihilism?

I'm going through a tough time right now. I felt a shift in my consciousness and I notice myself becoming sad and a little bit depressed.

Some people describe my feelings and the period I'm going through as the Dark Night of the Soul.

I'm totally confused right now and I want to know if meaning is something that's up to us. I want to know if "meaning" is something we should strive for when going through dark days.

Edited by The Don
Correcting a word.

Me on the road less traveled.

8 minutes ago, The Don said:

On this spiritual path, how can we give meaning to our lives? How can we keep ourselves safe and away from the trap of nihilism?

Depression related to nihilism is caused by associating meaning with the apparent meaninglessness of the world.
If the world is truly meaningless, the fact that it is meaningless is meaningless in itself. 

I'd expect you to be too conscious to be incentivised to 'add meaning to your life' at that point.
What I did instead was plunging into the nihilism-related suffering and see through it, understand it.

Good luck.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

First off, Im sorry to hear you’re going through it right now. But I have to say, the fact that you’re feeling this is a major sign of growth. At some point, we all have to confront the fact that existence is utterly meaningless and this can certainly lead to depressing states of mind. Why? Because the mind is literally a meaning making machine; you’re undermining the very mechanism the ego uses to sustain itself, so such negative emotions are to be expected. But hey dude great work. 

Couple of things to note though: 

The fact that life is ultimately meaningless is actually a double edged sword: the fact that you’re taking this perspective, this insight as negative depressing fact is itself meaningless. There’s is in fact nothing negative about this nihilism, the depression is more meaning being projected onto this fact. To be depressed is to only partially understand the meaninglessness. It’s only until you go full circle with meaninglessness do the negative emotions dissipate. 

However I do want to put a potentially positive spin on this Nihilism you’re discovering. Absolute meaninglessness is actually synonymous with absolute freedom. Think about it - life is utterly empty of meaning MEANS you can construct whatever type of life you want. Whatever passions you feel, whatever strengths you have, whatever imaginations you feel you need to actualize, you are completely free to walk that path. Any inherent meaning to life would actually inhibit our freedom and infinite possibilities of life. It could be said that this meaningless and freedom are so absolute that there is nothing to do in this lifetime except give your greatest strengths to the world and to your self. Sure, you’re completely free to be depressed, but you’re also free to live out life, actualizing you’re highest most authentic self. Both are perfect.

However this is what Ive found has helped me the most when confronting this absolute nihilism - Gratitude (with a capital G) and Acceptance (with a capital A). Understand that this life you have, this perspective you were born with, these eyes you look out at the world with are the only opportunity reality will ever have to be The Don. Out of the trillions of organisms that have lived on this planet across time, reality decided it was time to be YOU. You are only ever going to have this single opportunity to experience life as you. Your life will be over in a flash, as if the universe were blinking. Understand and cherish this gift you’ve been given to see the world as The Don - your memories, your mind, your perspective, is all utterly unique unto you. You will never have this opportunity back. To be you was effectively a 0% chance, an infinitely rare chance, and yet here you are. That can be the source of your gratitude. 

Acceptance - understand that in the bottom of your heart, creation, existence does not make mistakes. Everything is perfect; all perspectives are “valid” through the eyes of God. Channel this Absolute Acceptance and understand that Being is accepting all that is being, and since you are ultimately at ground zero of this Being, you are accepting all that is already. Tap into this Acceptance not only with your mind but with your heart. Welcome all that is with kindness and compassion, and you will eventually stumble into the other side of this Nihilism coin: Absolute Infinite Love. 

Hope this helped brotha ??

Just to elaborate on what others have said.  When you realize that meaninglessness is a meaning your attaching to life, then your that much closer to dropping even that knowledge.  When the mind and knowledge of meaninglessness is dropped, theres a positivety and a solidness to being that you could say is a quiet mind, or more quiet, theres no longer the depressiveness or less of it (you also can see its just emotion and its not that important to you if you have a little yuckiness in your experience) and your free to be in meaning making and not meaning making, and you see and understand this and aren't attached either way.

Edited by Mu_

I was stuck as a nihilist for a long time. It was very painful. You have to figure out the things that matter to you personally and balance that with acceptance. There is no ideal reality. You'll never have everything that you want. But there are things you can participate in that keep meaninglessness at bay. Find out what matters to you and stick to it. Friendship, family, certain types of work, health and fitness, art, learning, etc. Don't overlook the fact that there are things that make life worth living. Figure out what those things are.

1 hour ago, Consilience said:

Any inherent meaning to life would actually inhibit our freedom and infinite possibilities of life.

Thank you. I'm really grateful for your words. This is a great insight for me.

1 hour ago, Mu_ said:

When you realize that meaninglessness is a meaning your attaching to life, then your that much closer to dropping even that knowledge.

Wow, this is also a great insight. I'll come back here and read it again.

1 hour ago, tsuki said:

Depression related to nihilism is caused by associating meaning with the apparent meaninglessness of the world.

Alright then. I won't associate meaning with the meaninglessness of the world.

43 minutes ago, ivory said:

I was stuck as a nihilist for a long time.

Sorry to hear that but I'm glad you got over it. Family is a great value.

What's confusing is the fact that right now I'm OK but tomorrow I won't be OK. I'm experiencing lots of mood swings.

Edited by The Don
To add a sentence and remove some spaces.

Another frame of what others have said is to go "prior" to meaning / no meaning. For example, if I said there was an absence of traglot in life, it would have no impact on you.  You have not been struggling between the meaning vs. no meaning of traglot  because traglot has been absent in your life. It didn't exist until I created it. This is "prior" to meaning/no meaning. We need to create a duality of meaning vs. no meaning to struggle with meaning vs. no meaning. 

For direct experience, I've gone into nature to observe. Sitting by a brook and observing things as it IS. It just is. Then I watch the mind create "Life has no meaning. My life is meaningless. Why bother living a meaningless life". I try to observe the construction of meaning, the personalization (*my* life has no meaning) and the resulting feelings that arise. Observe how feelings of discomfort cause a negative feedback loop. The mind may think "my life has no meaning", there may be an uncomfortable feeling, the mind may then use the feeling to amplify "This feels bad. Life really is meaningless. This is worse than I thought", then the discomfort may increase, which intensifies the thought story. A nasty loop. . . Yet the underlying feeling is often related to something else. The body may be signaling to me that I am missing something. 

9 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

We need to create a duality of meaning vs. no meaning to struggle with meaning vs. no meaning. 

Okay. I understand. So I should drop the concept of meaning and meaninglessness.

I'm creating the struggle, right?

1 minute ago, The Don said:

Okay. I understand. So I should drop the concept of meaning and meaninglessness.

I'm creating the struggle, right?

I would say it depends. Sometimes I walk in nature and contemplate meaning. What is meaning? Is there relative meaning? . . . This is more of an exploration. Like. . . "What is beauty?" or "What is love?". Yet the orientation of "What is meaning? There is no meaning in life. My life sucks. Why even bother living if there is no meaning" - is a very different. It will cause inner turmoil. . . I went through a phase in which I had to work through this and it still pops up from time to time. I wouldn't avoid or repress it, yet I also wouldn't be attached/identified with it either. 

2 hours ago, The Don said:

Hello.

Day by day, as I'm meditating, I'm becoming more conscious and at the same time, I observe the fact that I have a tendency to lose myself in nihilism.

As you all know, nihilism leads to depression and despair.

Who wants to live a life in despair? Nobody.

When someone becomes enlightened, how does he keep himself happy? I know that happiness is not an emotional state. I'm talking about a different kind of happiness; for example, a sane and lucid mind.

I'm going through a tough time right now. I felt a shift in my consciousness and I notice myself becoming sad and a little bit depressed.

Some people describe my feelings and the period I'm going through as the Dark Night of the Soul.

I'm totally confused right now and I want to know if meaning is something that's up to us. I want to know if "meaning" is something we should strive for when going through dark days.

@The Don Nihilism is the gateway that one must go through to reach enlightenment. Nothing matters except your experience of the flowing present moment. 

Focus on love, beauty and truth in the present moment. Then this opens up to what Leo calls actualized nihilism.

13 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

Get a puppy or a kitten.  Seriously.  I have days like this all too often and what really helps is having animals to care for.
I feel that responsibility is the antidote to nihilism.

Well, thank you! How about starting a family and having kids?

23 minutes ago, Matt8800 said:

Focus on love, beauty and truth in the present moment. Then this opens up to what Leo calls actualized nihilism.

Alright. I'll focus on love, truth, compassion and the present moment.

Moreover, I would like to know what @Leo Gura thinks about nihilism and what can people do to escape from it; he definitely has been nihilistic and found his own way to escape from it.

40 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I went through a phase in which I had to work through this and it still pops up from time to time. I wouldn't avoid or repress it, yet I also wouldn't be attached/identified with it either.

I must admit I'm scared of this too. But the only thing I can do is to let it be as it is without getting attached to it. I must be OK with whatever pops out into my mind.

This video is very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxUPSRgLIGE

Thinking is meaningless meaning, love is needless of meaning & meaninglessness. Love loves stories. Love loves peace. In truth it’s a no lose predicament; just an appearing duality, which you are aware of.

Have your cake and eat it too, in presence, in appreciation for yin and yangs. All that comes and goes - every state, stage and sage, is reminding you that you are that, which never comes, and never goes. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

A strong dose of full acceptance and some Peter Ralston Enlightenment videos always helps me, that guy seriously cracks me up in every way. He is awesome!!

Good luck my friend..

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

It's not going to help but it's both. Life is both meaningful and meaningless.

As long as you have the urge to eat and sleep and breathe, there is meaning - those are meaningful things. If you keep thinking about it, there are a million meaningful things in your life. some more than others. Being on this forum is meaningful. Hold on to those things.

But the real you, deep inside knows that it really is meaningless, and this can make you feel there is no ground beneath you. When you stop and think about it, everything in your experience is so fantastical and nonsensical. It's just a jumble of light and hard stuff and emotions and experiences and memories and rules and funny creatures with four limbs and teeth and eyes and hair. None of it makes any sense, because there is no sense to it! It's random and abritrary.

You have to embody both sides of the story to be really actualised. And it's hard work.

All stories and explanations are false.

4 hours ago, The Don said:

What's confusing is the fact that right now I'm OK but tomorrow I won't be OK. I'm experiencing lots of mood swings.

Totally normal. Still happens to me from time to time. If you are in and out of it, that's a good thing. It means you're believing in the nihilistic arisings less than you used to. Just out of curiosity, are you an idealist?

8 hours ago, ivory said:

It means you're believing in the nihilistic arisings less than you used to.

Yes. I see that if I'm considering nihilism to be of no use, I'm getting better. Right now I'm OK. Last night I wasn't.

Last night, just before the bed, I was lost in a wave of depression and I was thinking about how to get out of that wave.

I tried to embrace the depression and it didn't work for a while. I was still depressed. Then I started to focus on my breath and I got better; I was using a technique described in this video. It really worked.

Today, I just finished a meditation session and I feel like I'm getting better. Maybe these mood swings will come back but I really don't care.

I'm practicing how to get out of them and in the future, I'll find a way to consider nihilism of no use in a logical manner.

Maybe Stoicism is helping me. I need to read more of the Stoics.

8 hours ago, ivory said:

Just out of curiosity, are you an idealist?

I was an idealist all my life. I wanted the world to get better and I wanted people to live consciously, in the sense that they had to have a family for maintaining Western Civilization and all that's good in society (medicine, science, technology, automotive, etc.). I was bothered by the thoughts of people having fewer and fewer relationships; I was bothered by the fact that Western Civilization is imploding because people refuse to get married and have more kids.

So yeah, I was an idealist. I think I'm not anymore. I need to embrace reality as it is and be a good person. A person that has the will to help others.

44 minutes ago, Sahil Pandit said:

Notice how "nihilism" is a story you're creating?

Yes. I can how "nihilism" is a story that I'm creating.

Thank you for reminding me that.