outlandish

Cognitive Biases

17 posts in this topic

"Cognitive biases are systematic patterns of deviation from norm or rationality in judgment, and are often studied in psychology and behavioral economics."

By studying our cognitive biases, we can become aware of our mental blindspots and shortcomings.

cognitive-bias.jpg

(source "Every Single Cognitive Bias in One Infographic": https://www.visualcapitalist.com/every-single-cognitive-bias/)

(Ironically, that title must be some kind of Cognitive Bias, thinking we have the complete picture, when in fact we do not.)

Wikipedia list of cognitive biases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Leo hit the nail on the head with the uber Congitive Bias he discussed in the Self-Bias video. Self Bias encapsulates many of these more specific cognitive biases. http://actualized.org/articles/self-bias

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Rationality and cognition itself is a bias.

Even perception is biased.

But cool infographic!

The trick is being able to spot them within yourself as you're doing them.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Wow, thank you. That's a really comprehensive information. Sometimes, I wonder whether it would be easier just to define "truth" so we can all agree on the definition and automatically remove all biases.

I have an opinion on everything :D

13 minutes ago, JustThinkingAloud said:

Sometimes, I wonder whether it would be easier just to define "truth" so we can all agree on the definition and automatically remove all biases.

The Truth undermines survival, so it will never be agreed upon. Your mind's job is to avoid Truth at all costs.

Misunderstanding of Truth is not a bug, it's a feature upon which your entire life is hinges.

To know the Truth is to become unhinged.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The Truth undermines survival, so it will never be agreed upon. Your mind's job is to avoid Truth at all costs.

Misunderstanding of Truth is not a bug, it's a feature upon which your entire life is hinges.

So does it mean that anything goes? If there's not one truth then everything is truth?

54 minutes ago, JustThinkingAloud said:

So does it mean that anything goes? If there's not one truth then everything is truth?

It's always the case that anything goes. But that ain't Truth. That's devilry.

Truth requires transcending all bias.

"Reason is the Devil's whore."                                                                                                                                — Martin Luther

25 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

"Reason is the Devil's whore."                                                                                                                                — Martin Luther

Should I take it personally? haha

I'd keep going but I'm not sure whether it'd be listened to. ;)

Faith without a reason.

Not drugs. Not a human being. Not creations. 

Not a blind faith. But faith. 

Faith in your Creator. Which is not anything like creations.

Creations is everything that is visible and non-visible.

Edited by Angelite

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

what does this mean i tried searching it but it says mentally unbalanced, what do you mean?

"hell is empty all the devil are here"

Truth is like Mario watching himself from his own tv screen.

And Mario ain't happy discovering all his life was a game of piece.

But funny enough I was aware of my Mario Dynamic at 6 years. I Always lived life for the game.

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

"Reason is the Devil's whore."                                                                                                                               

— Martin Luther

and the pope was the antichrist. he was reforming the church not the old greeks. there is a huge difference. he was not known for his good manners as well but for the impertinence to call out devilries of the church. someone who spoke up against what was going wrong. doesn`t mean he was enlightened.

luther quotes are usually very rude - he was a rude man and an ego and male biased fanatic.

Edited by remember

Your all psyche is a cognitive bias

All your ideas are cognitive bias

@outlandish Really interesting reading, thank you. All feeds into the illusion filter we hold. 

What I found really interesting is the part about what and how we remember. When we remember things, how do we remember the Truth? Tricky if this doesn't exist. We're in fact remembering only our take on the event, which in fact is biased, therefore an illusion.

Edited by Surfingthewave