andyjohnsonman

China celebrates 70th anniversary with biggest ever military parade

43 posts in this topic

Im curious what people think of this from a conscious politics standpoint. It seems to me like a display of propaganda, pageantry power, nationalism and fear.  Keep yourselves in order and follow the regime or else. We have extortionate amounts of power so you can trust us to protect you. I feel it's also a display to the outside world not to mess with them. It seems very stage red/blue. I really feel that a country like china needs an authoritarian figure to hold the country together especially with what happened in Tianamen  Square in the past so they need this to control such a large population. The problem is this is complete control by fear and i would have much preferred to see a 70th anniversary showing all the wonders of China like their love for Calligraphy, Tai Chi and drinking Pu'er tea in tea houses.

It's amazing when you realize that 1 billion Chinese citizens have never voted in their life. Because there is no voting in China, period.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Quotes from CNNs Spin of this Display:

”this is a country that has greatly improved the lives of its people”

“This is to reassure the world, that they are the safeguards of peace and stability”

^(reciting without opposition chinas supposed perspective)

Wowza. Zero expanded negative points of analysis.

Lol you can barely see the helicopters flying through the air because of all the thick smog they've emitted from producing crap consumer goods and knock-off electronics. All I see when I look at this is communist ugliness.

They're committing a genocide, by the way. https://www.businessinsider.com/china-harvesting-organs-of-uighur-muslims-china-tribunal-tells-un-2019-9

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

8 hours ago, ULFBERHT said:

All I see when I look at this is communist ugliness.

It's more capitalist than communist.

9 hours ago, ULFBERHT said:

Lol you can barely see the helicopters flying through the air because of all the thick smog they've emitted from producing crap consumer goods and knock-off electronics.

lol, go home and check all your cloths and goods for the made in label, especially maybe your high class computer, then throw all made in china out and pretend you never had them. and then go out and take a breath of fresh air.

Edited by remember

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's more capitalist than communist.

Let's not downplay China. They have the most successful capitalist system the world has ever known, it is planned out brilliantly. 50 years ago this was one of the poorest countries on earth.

@Bas It has been very successful in a lot of ways, but its also not been successful in a lot of ways. The reverse back to authoritarianism after some movements towards liberalisation is not a good thing. Plus, there's still a whole lot of corruption, poverty, pollution, etc. that gets overlooked in the whole "China Rises" narrative. They've come a long way for sure, but they've still got a long way to go (as we all do.)

Edited by Apparition of Jack

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

13 hours ago, ULFBERHT said:

crap consumer goods and knock-off electronics.

They also produce the best tech products in the world, like all the iPhones, Macs, PCs, all the latest smartphones, electric cars, and basically every other tech product you have in your home and have ever used. And who owns these manufacturing plants? American and western companies. Who buys these goods? America and western countries. What you're describing is straight up capitalism.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

11 hours ago, Apparition of Jack said:

They've come a long way for sure, but they've still got a long way to go

The story of mankind ;)

Fair points all around. Still, I wouldn't want to live there.

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

This YouTuber makes great vlogs of how he lives in mainland China.

Check out his channel. It's really good. He's lived in China for a decade and even married a cute Chinese girl.

You'd be surprised how life in China is really like.

@Leo Gura Thank you for that! The idea of moving to China has been growing on me very strongly for over half a year now since I started to learn the language. I'm dyslectic so I didn't expect to make much progress, but it's amazing how fast I got the hang of it! It's the most logical language I know of, ideal for people with dyslexia (spelling and grammar are practically absent in Mandarin/Chinese). Watching these videos made me all exited!

3 hours ago, Keyhole said:

@Leo Gura Better move to China then, the only cure for a white male's yellow fever.
soup.jpg

Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian ;)

wow, this thread is such a good example for chauvinism be it on a political level or about male chauvinism. it`s not only sexistic but also racistic and doesn`t have much to do with people getting shot while protesting for democratic rights anymore. it is ending orange/read in such a disgusting way, that mentioning low level sexism is not even enough to call it out. once you go anti fascistic you never go chauvinistic again.

even if people claim to not being both.

or in sense of china, why do they forget their roots? both historical and political? china mainland could be proud of revolutionary forces, but it seems only to be a show. all just for sexual equality? because that`s all what really got better. if china would want to keep the peace they would give the structures in hong kong a chance to show how democracy could work for them, to go into a better future. it`s such a chance to scientifically observe without "observation" democracy within china, why don`t they take the hand that is reaching out to them?

Edited by remember

Gosh, I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean, but these are the kinds of talks I don't go into. They get nowhere, and it's nonsense, esp talks of one "race" dating or marrying another "race." I sure don't see it like this in my marriage, esp when someone else points it out--that I'm married to a different "race." No such thing as "race."

So, I'm going to boldly say here that lots of people are so stuck in a strangeloop of trying to find the "right" relationship but keeps breaking up and having heartbreaks. They don't really understand that one of the major factors to this is not understanding detachment. Although, I think Leo did an excellent job in explaining it in this video, there is still so much more to say. Judging someone, whether or not she's a 9 or 10 gal, or what "race" she is, or which country she's from has nothing to do with detachment. Yes, of course detachment relates to enlightenment. It's a direct pointer word to it.

@Key Elements well it gets somewhere, it gets to how preoccupied people are while searching for their personal happyness. china is in a problematic situation, because they are to decide between two roots. actually in sense of gender equality they are pretty much on the same level as a lot of western democratic countries or maybe comparable to other asian countries in many cases even more progressive. but in sense of politics they are very blue and authoritarian, what partially is because the culture moved from an empire to communism, although they are not really as they are capitalistic, what makes exactly the problem they have to face now with what happens in hong kong. the tension between both parties is pointing to the conflict between theory and practice and even brings them in conflict with their bible. in that sense maybe chinas leaders really would do good and sit down on a table with the protesters, what will be difficult beacuse they have no leaders, maybe exactly because of the fear in mainland with which they hold up the stability in the country. the fear is on both sides. but i think china could profit enormously of a peacefull solution. practice will show. it`s enormously heated up and i really hope there will be a solution without using forces.

Edited by remember