PlayOnWords

Spiral Dynamics - Atypical Mixes

40 posts in this topic

Unsurprisingly, I've found that trying to gauge which stages people are at is a bit of a losing battle. 

I see that people tend to not fit into one defined box, but rather, have a predominant colour, and then strokes of others. Pretty sure Leo has spoken of this. Visualizing a painting of the appropriate colours to specific people is a fun way of doing this. 

I also notice in myself that I think I'm predominantly green, with some orange, maybe a stroke or two of yellow. Maybe.

Anyway, it got me thinking: Are there any famous examples of people who have, in a sense, a bizarre mix of stages? 

For example: Red and Green? Blue and Yellow? 

I'm sure there are and would like to hear your examples if you have any. 

This is purely out of intrigue, not to judge or shame people or the stages. 

JP is a bizarre mix of Blue, Orange, and Yellow.

Trump is a bizarre mix of Red and Orange.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Could this be an explanation why some people seem to behave in higher levels of the spiral, and then suddenly act out?  As if they'd been hiding a more basic stage and then it lashes out?  Like a "closet" stage hidden since they sense it wouldn't be socially acceptable to be it?  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Sam Harris: a bizarre mix of orange, green and yellow.

Ken Wiber: a bizarre mix of orange, yellow and turquoise.

That just means they still have a lot of room for growth and build fundamentals better.

You can do personal development until you die and still have a lot more room for growth.

Edited by CreamCat

7 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Could this be an explanation why some people seem to behave in higher levels of the spiral, and then suddenly act out?  As if they'd been hiding a more basic stage and then it lashes out?  Like a "closet" stage hidden since they sense it wouldn't be socially acceptable to be it?  

Well, I'd probably call that a shadow.

It's common to have at least one color shadow. Common shadows are Green, Orange, or Blue. A shadow here would be one color which triggers you or you love to hate.

For example, if you can't stand religious people, that's a Blue shadow. If you can't stand greedy Wall Street types, that's an Orange shadow. If you can't stand hippies and SJWs, that's a Green shadow.

3 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Ken Wiber: a bizarre mix of orange, yellow and turquoise

Wilber is Turquoise and above.

3 hours ago, kieranperez said:

Wilber is Turquoise and above.

I perceive it differently

@Apparition of Jack would be amusing to see him ditch blue and start moving into orange, sniffing powders off hookers' assholes.

Interesting example. 

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's common to have at least one color shadow. Common shadows are Green, Orange, or Blue. A shadow here would be one color which triggers you or you love to hate.

For example, if you can't stand religious people, that's a Blue shadow. If you can't stand greedy Wall Street types, that's an Orange shadow. If you can't stand hippies and SJWs, that's a Green shadow.

What kind of shadow do I have if I can't stand people who insult me or beat me or threaten to beat me?

Edited by CreamCat

19 hours ago, PlayOnWords said:

Unsurprisingly, I've found that trying to gauge which stages people are at is a bit of a losing battle. 

I see that people tend to not fit into one defined box, but rather, have a predominant colour, and then strokes of others. 

Out of curiosity, If you manage to decide what colour someone is, then what? What's the next step? Inform them they have been assessed as green or red or a mix? If they ask what the hell you talking about you say it's spiral dynamics model? 

19 hours ago, PlayOnWords said:

I think SD is a stronger model at the social level than personal level

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

1. So a shadow hates generally other things at it's own stage?

2. Is it generally a downcast, so you are at Orange and your Shadow is Blue or could you be Orange and your Shadow is Green?

@Apparition of JackJackJack Jack 

Phone is bugging. ^

@Bill W it's more for my own benefit. I have discovered I tend to believe everybody knows what I know, or holds the same values. This has led to me being too trusting and, in some cases, manipulated. It's sometimes hard finding common ground with people also. I hope being able to determine where people are at will help me in the social domain and better my external interactions. 

2 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

2. Is it generally a downcast, so you are at Orange and your Shadow is Blue or could you be Orange and your Shadow is Green?

It can be either up or down. Doesn't really matter.

Liberals tends to cast down. Conservatives tend to cast up.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It can be either up or down. Doesn't really matter.

Liberals tends to cast down. Conservatives tend to cast up.

You describe culture war.

In the future we might see a raise in Numbers of Individuals in Yellow. Will Green fight Yellow and continue the culture war?

11 minutes ago, supremeyingyang said:

You describe culture war.

In the future we might see a raise in Numbers of Individuals in Yellow. Will Green fight Yellow and continue the culture war?

it depends what yellow entails, if yellow integrates green, green will be pushing yellow instead of fighting it but if your yellow is more an orange yellow of course green will fight it, but then you could also ask if your yellow really is yellow, or if it is more an orange, then it`s of course not really yellow. because yellow is the energy that drives green towards turquoise.

Edited by remember

10 minutes ago, remember said:

it depends what yellow entails, if yellow integrates green will be pushing yellow instead of fighting it but if your yellow is more an orange yellow of course green will ficht it, but then you could also ask if your yellow really is yellow, or if it is more an orange, then it`s of course not really yellow. because yellow is the energy that drives green towards turquoise.

Right. Orange-Yellow can be a trap.

I meant not my Individual Yellow but a whole Group of Yellow Individuals. How would a Yellow Group operate in this culture war?

So Green will push against Yellow? That would be less than fighting. Culture War => Culture Debate ?

Edited by supremeyingyang

30 minutes ago, supremeyingyang said:

Will Green fight Yellow and continue the culture war?

Once you get to Yellow there's no much fighting left.

Each stage up involves less and less fighting and demonizing.

Getting everyone to stage Green is crucial because at that point there will be a lot more peace. Hippies and New Agers aren't known for shooting people.