Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Average Investor

Quality Water

18 posts in this topic

I've been buying purified water for awhile now, cooking in it etc. I was thinking about getting my own distiller for water? Or a nice water purification system. I have been doing some research and it seems like the distiller might be the best for the money and quality. But was curious if anyone here has any experience? It costs me more than $30 a month for water. So I am fine investing into a good system. 

Drinking distilled water all the time is dangerous because it will leach minerals from your body. Avoid drinking distilled water.

As a rule of thumb, extreme purity is toxic.

Where I live, the tap water is fantastic and clean, but there are some good filters out there that will remove particulates and heavy metals if that's needed where you live. I don't have any that I'd recommend because I've never owned one.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish Yeah, there is arsenic and other bad stuff in my tap water. I had the water tested here before.  I am sure it would be "okay" to drink I just don't want to consume so many chemicals regardless of the content. I had seen stuff that adds minerals and etc. But I will continue to keep looking at what the best solution may be. I do consume a decent amount of Himalayan salt if that matters.

I just got my first natural organic baby shampoo today. I have sensitive skin, so need to use the baby one lol. I was going to find some natural toothpaste as well. 

Thanks for your response I will keep digging into more. I have looked into a good amount of reviews and stuff. Just nothing really saying what is the best.

Some of the best tasting water I had was from a purifier of the water of the mountain I was on in my picture.  The snow melting at the top would have little crystal clear streams. As well as the distant lake in that picture you could see to the bottom. 

50 minutes ago, outlandish said:

Drinking distilled water all the time is dangerous because it will leach minerals from your body. Avoid drinking distilled water.

Where I live, the tap water is fantastic and clean, but there are some good filters out there that will remove particulates and heavy metals if that's needed where you live. I don't have any that I'd recommend because I've never owned one.

@Average InvestorI’ve heard distilled is quite healthy for detoxing the body. I find hydration most effective with the consumption of fresh fruits and smoothies. Those who are malnourished and unable to make and absorb a lot of vitamins and minerals should probably avoid it as you say until they are eating cleaner and fasting for a while 

Edited by DrewNows

@DrewNows I drink a smoothie daily and am on a plant based diet. I have some vegan junk food stuff on occasion. If the diet effects it I am not really sure. I take daily vitamins and etc. I am not sure what is best really for the water. I would make since it needs the minerals and what not would be found in the traditional sources of water. But what exactly are the minerals I should be looking for? 

I also do want the water to not taste terrible would be a plus since the tap water is not very good tasting. 

@Average Investor we don’t need any supplements. Adding lemon to water and drinking occasional mineral water is fine. What I’ve done is added more fruit for meals, especially breakfast. The water won’t go right through me like it used to when my kidneys were suffering from over protein intake. We were taught to think clear pee is a healthy body but in truth it just means our kidneys aren’t filtering and we’ve over did it with the water 

i recommend Robert Morse youtube channel and Facebook group for questions, concerns and info about fasting and detoxification, all raw food diet, if you’re interested 

Edited by DrewNows

@DrewNows I'll check it out it! I subbed him, so notifications will pop up later. Yeah, I am more interested in learning more into a raw food diet. I appreciate the information. I will keep looking into the water and see what I find. 

@Average Investor Yw. Feel free to reach out whenever. I saw in the Facebook group distilled with lemon and Himalayan salt is a great combo, we can get all our minerals from fruits and veggies. The more fruit in your diet the less water you’ll need for hydration, my goal is 90+% fruits 

@DrewNows That sounds pretty intense. I should probably go back and see what I need for protein. I get over 100g a day I know that, but I workout daily. I probably drink too much protein powder that I do not need. But it is a good fill for early day calories. It's a plant based superfood one I use. I did see some supporting stuff for the distilled water and it removes more fluoride too. The taste would be ideal as well because my tap water is gross tasting. 

18 hours ago, outlandish said:

Distilled/Purified only flushes out "minerals" this is a big misconception. If anything, it only flushes out "inorganic minerals/substances" not organic ones. I've been drinking purified/distilled water mostly for several years.

You get more than enough minerals from food and you can always sprinkle some sea salt, kelp or shilajit with your waters from time to time if you are worried but you shouldn't have to.

Listen to Andrew Norton Webber, he had some excellent talks on this. Never forget how intelligent nature is.

HTH

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

this thing is pretty expensive (but you could probably  make your own if your handy), but it uses solar evaporation to obtain your purified water, which is the actual process water gets evaporated in nature (not by boiling the water, which is very violent to the molecules, which is why it comes out 'dead' and unnatural)

if you want health, be in and/or replicate nature ;)

http://www.solaqua.com/solstils1.html

Edited by passerby

@Meditationdude I was considering one of those. I figure gas, time, and energy of getting the gallons of water adds up too. So that isn't an unreasonable price. I am not quite decided on going the distilling route. But I had seen that was one of the better purifiers. I thought about getting their hiking version that is like $30 to see roughly how the taste quality would be like. 

@dinone I don't see much medical research that would agree with that, and that article is pretty thin on references and heavy on hand-waving. There might be something to it, but there probably isn't. That blog in general has a lot of red flags.

If someone were to insist on drinking distilled water, it would probably be a good idea to remineralize it before imbibing, with some kind of gentle healthy combination of nutrients/salts/vitamins. That way you'd be playing it safe on all fronts.

Ironically, a lot of distillers, at least in the old days, had leaded solder joints in them, and were prone to bacterial growth. I'm sure you can find clean ones these days, but you'd still want to be vigilant.

Another irony in the whole snooty drinking water thing is that a lot of people buy water in plastic bottles, which is absolutely atrocious for the environment, and the plastic leaches into the drinking water as well, contaminating it with hormone-mimicking compounds and so on. 

@outlandish what about inorganic and organic minerals? I have made my own water distiller. After i distilled all water what is left is all "rocks". Inorganic minerals body can't use. And i use only glass bottles, never plastic.

3 minutes ago, dinone said:

@outlandish what about inorganic and organic minerals? I have made my own water distiller. After i distilled all water what is left is all "rocks". Inorganic minerals body can't use. And i use only glass bottles, never plastic.

The idea of inorganic vs organic minerals is a little bit vague, but you can't go wrong by generally sourcing your nutrition from whole foods rather than supplements, pills etc. As far as remineralizing your water goes, you'll have to DYOR in that department because it's not something I've ever bothered doing (since I don't demineralize it in the first place). I think calcium, sodium, iron, zinc are the main ones to be thinking about. Maybe potassium too?

Just because it forms rocks/crystals doesn't mean your body can't use it btw. There are lots of nutrients that will do that, that our body's have no problem absorbing. If you take the water out of a mineral solution (whether "inorganic" or "organic") it will form solids and crystals.