Robi Steel

Reality and the Sacred - Jordan Peterson

5 posts in this topic

Really apolitical, tapping stage turquoise Jordan Peterson.  

Edited by Robi Steel

I know you're tired but come. This is the way - Rumi

2:41 - a rant against postmodernism
4:17 - Deconstruction of the deterministic, Newtonian view of the operation of the ego on the basis of the fact that "objects" we perceive have no definite boundaries.
6:48  - the frame problem, "how to limit your perceptions". Emergent properties of systems.
8:40 - the archaic view of Sacred is grounded in the presupposition that the Absolute is "the sum total". The encounter with the Absolute is the encounter with all the consequences of the emergent properties of everything that exists. "The absolute is always something that transcends the finite frame you place around your perceptions". "Finger pointing to the moon": Concertizing it, representing it symbolically, denies its absolute nature.
9:50 - It seems like this is where Peterson confuses the "Finger pointing to the moon" with a moral statement that humans should be mindful of their finite capacity to understand. Weird.
10:25 - This is very yellow. Understanding reality requires multi-paradigmatic perception.
10:48 - Deconstruction of the ego. Actuality is "colored", "framed" by the wants of the ego. Ego as a walled city. Very reminiscent of existential philosophy of Martin Heidegger ('ready-to-hand'). The mind linearizes, simplifies, concretizes reality for the mind's purposes ignorantly. 
12:17 - Context shapes distinctions that are used by the mind. "The room is a theater". "The room tells you what to do". The ego is not contained within a skull, the human is interspersed with its environment.
14:27 - "You are in a walled city". Walls are subtle.
14:40 - Yin yang. Peterson thinks that metaphysics aren't practical lol. Chaos vs order. Chaos attracts attention because you already understand the order. Personal failures are 'the world falling apart'. That relates to the previous sections with 'walls interwoven in reality'. Peterson seems to be terribly fearful of surrendering to life, he calls actuality "chaos". Total disregard of the underlying harmony of the world apart from human effort.
17:04 - Accidental descent into chaos is "the worst experience of your life", that is Peterson's projection. Confuses presence with emergency preparation mode LOL. Uses biology to justify the unwillingness to surrender (cortisol levels etc).
17:54 - Discussion of yin-yang symbol. Very good. Talks about enlightenment.
19:18 - Discussion of Christian symbols. Argues that society needs to be formed through effort of its members. Seems to be not aware that society emerged from nature's harmony (he calls nature chaos). "Chaos is murderous and unproductive". 
20:36 - Society (order) as an archetype. Positive and negative expressions but only the negative ones are given emphasis. 
21:38 - Nature as an archetype. Medusa is the unknown that "turns you into stone". Uses Buddhism to justify his worldview that "life is suffering". Implies that Buddhism views yin as the absolute. Uses that to justify his fear (I'm finite and I contend with the absolute). This is completely wrong, the absolute is not "lots of stuff". Infinity is not a number.

At this point, I lost interest in dissecting it. There are very good yellow-level nuggets interspersed with fear-mongering.
I watch Peterson's lectures from time to time and I'm steadily losing my interest in him because of this.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

OH, now I get it!!!! Eureka!!!

Jordan Peterson is afraid of post-modernism because it is the deconstruction of culture.
He tries to understand the world through knowledge and he can't admit the possibility that it can always be deconstructed!
He equates post-modernists with chaos and he can't see the harmony beyond the mind!

The chief mistake he is making is that he tries to understand reality.
He tries to gather examples and extract principles. That is not how it works! You cannot construct grace!

Just imagine what would happen if he started tripping properly lol. That would be magnificent.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

7 hours ago, tsuki said:

OH, now I get it!!!! Eureka!!!

Jordan Peterson is afraid of post-modernism because it is the deconstruction of culture.
He tries to understand the world through knowledge and he can't admit the possibility that it can always be deconstructed!
He equates post-modernists with chaos and he can't see the harmony beyond the mind!

The chief mistake he is making is that he tries to understand reality.
He tries to gather examples and extract principles. That is not how it works! You cannot construct grace!

Just imagine what would happen if he started tripping properly lol. That would be magnificent.

oh my god you;re right!

He is a clear-cut demagogue, and should be force-fed psilo.  I do think he would need a sitter, as he would be scared shitless.