Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ampresus

How to keep a cool head at all means

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

This topic has lately been bothering me when I looked up stuff about my (hopefully) future job.

Lets say you are falling off a cliff/being really humiliated in front of your social circle/being humiliated by your teacher or parent(s)/arguing with someone and it gets heated etc. You get my point. How do you stay cool? How do you manage to calm down?

With some things I can see how it can be easy. Lets say you are arguing and the other person starts screaming and throwing personal attacks at you. Obviously I can see that this person is making a fool out of themselves and so I keep my cool. However, lets say you can't leave North Korea after a 5-day trip, get arrested for ''colluding against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea'' and even though you know you are innocent, you also know enough about North Korea and end up being send to prison. How do you keep it cool up there?

If I were holding a gun at your mother how would you keep it cool?

If you were falling down and your parachute doesn't open how do you keep it cool?

(Are there any practices which can help keeping it cool up there?)

@bejapuskas For an astronaut to pass so they can go to the ISS, they have to endure some severe mental challenges. Stuff like literally flying to and from the ISS to earth, being able to not panick when something goes wrong during a spacewalk or just in general not losing your cool when being around the same people for 6 months. You gotta be at your top mental game there.

Considering I want to become an astronaut I wonder what I can do now, so I can pass those tests easily and convince my space agency that I was the right choice.

3 hours ago, Ampresus said:

Hello everyone.

This topic has lately been bothering me when I looked up stuff about my (hopefully) future job.

Lets say you are falling off a cliff/being really humiliated in front of your social circle/being humiliated by your teacher or parent(s)/arguing with someone and it gets heated etc. You get my point. How do you stay cool? How do you manage to calm down?

With some things I can see how it can be easy. Lets say you are arguing and the other person starts screaming and throwing personal attacks at you. Obviously I can see that this person is making a fool out of themselves and so I keep my cool. However, lets say you can't leave North Korea after a 5-day trip, get arrested for ''colluding against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea'' and even though you know you are innocent, you also know enough about North Korea and end up being send to prison. How do you keep it cool up there?

If I were holding a gun at your mother how would you keep it cool?

If you were falling down and your parachute doesn't open how do you keep it cool?

(Are there any practices which can help keeping it cool up there?)

You gave very specific scenarios, but I will try to answer more generally.

Spontaneous thoughts and emotions constantly occur, and the only "control" you have over them is by identifying them and the effect they are having on you, and then objectively making decisions. Furthermore, events will happen outside of your control, prompting strong cocktails of thoughts and emotions. 

Meditation is one of the best practices you can develop to strengthen this skill. It is a "practice" because you learn to identify these phenomenon as they occur, and dis-identify with them before you get mentally invested or make a rash decision that can further affect your mood or situation. 

"Keeping it cool" is identifying a situation and the emotions and thoughts that the situation provokes, and objectively making a decision that is as uninfluenced by the negative stimulus as well as you possibly can.

Edited by ZZZZ

Try to focus on solution. Don’t judge the situation, don’t set any goals or expectations. Purely focus on analyzing the situation and what could solve the problem. That means collecting all the facts, finding all the causes and effects, understanding what is going on, experimenting if you can.

I have an opinion on everything :D

You accept it.

To not accept reality as it is, is insanity. Or devilry.

For fear: See Leos last video. You accept that part of yourself (reality). If you have to live the rest of your life in a prison in NK, you accept this aspect of reality. If your mother gets shot, you accept this part of reality.

If you suffer because of these events, you accept this part of reality.