flume

Eating soy everyday

10 posts in this topic

What's your opinion on eating soy everyday?

My breakfast currently consists of oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts and hempseeds. I cook it in soy milk and put soy yoghurt on it.
I wonder it that’s maybe a bit much soy if I eat that everyday? I work in the mornings and need a good meal with a substantial amount of protein to keep me going for several hours.

When I did a bunch of research on soy some years ago I found so much contradicting information.
I came to the conclusion that it’s probably fine as long as I don’t overdo it and I feel good eating it.

Does anyone have other high(er) protein vegan breakfast suggestions? (Preferably on-the-go)
I really can’t think of anything apart from soy milk and yoghurt. I love smoothies but now that it’s getting colder I don’t crave them as much anymore. I’m not a huge fan of protein powder but I also haven’t tried many, so maybe someone can recommend a good brand?

Would love some input.
Thanks everyone :-)

I feel anything but water and fruits every day is not wise in the long run especially if you eat/live routine-like. Maybe do 5 days on 2 days off or have on/off periods every now and then. We evolved to adapt and live with biodiversity.

Routines kill us.

You can always alternate between soy, almond, coconut and other plant-milks.

We don't need as much protein as most recommend.

Listen to your body.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

43 minutes ago, pluto said:

We don't need nowhere near as much protein as they recommend.

i agree. Fruit is very high energy 

check out this guy 

Edited by DrewNows

For a woman is ok. But according to the oriental classification is a cooling food, that means will make you lethargic and a quiet. If you have a quiet temperament per nature too much soy may make you feel exhausted even depressed.

For men soy is forbidden imo.

@flume You can try putting some egg white protein in the oatmeal. The separate 100% pasteurized egg whites they sell in cartons. You can also put it in smoothies, heres a oatmeal recipe though:

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/egg-white-oatmeal/

A little peanut butter now and then in the oatmeal will give you some good monounsaturated fat and additional protein to keep your energy levels high, not to mention it tastes amazing with oats (for me at least)

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

good stuff by @Shiva

Based on the current amount of evidence soy is beneficial for females. It reduces risk of estrogen-driven cancers by balancing amounts of endogenous estrogens, reduces post menopausal bone loss and flushes and has been shown to improve overall wellbeing even libido.

I would always make sure it is organic and would stay away from highly concentrated sources such as soy protein. When taken as wholefood in form of tofu, miso or edamame, soy can be quite helpful.  But ofcourse, there are better, healthier foods as always such as your fruits, vegetables and all sorts of other beans and lentils and nuts. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@pluto maybe that's true, I just know that I feel a lot more stable energy throughout the day eating a good amount of protein and fat. Woman need more fat too to maintain healthy periods. When I was eating high carb I had to eat every 2 hours and all the raw food gave me so much energy that I didn't know what to do with it anymore. So I quit that for now :D

@Shiva thanks! I actually already knew most of that. Have you read 'How not to die'? You sure sound a lot like Doctor Greger:D Good stuff! I also love all the protein sources you mentioned, I have no problem making yummie recipes for lunch and dinner, my breakfast just seems to be very unvaried lately.

@TrynaBeTurquoise thanks, I don't eat eggs though ^_^

@Michael569 Great, I didn't know that. I always make sure I buy organic so I think it shouldn't be in issue.

No recommendations for good protein powder anyone?

@flume whats the reason you are not eating eggs? If you are trying to avoid the fatty part (even though it is packed full of nutrients) you wont be getting it in the whites, they are a pure, complete amino acid source. Especially if you get organic cage free eggs.

but you could easily just substitute the whites with a plant protein powder like pea or hemp, as long as you can tolerate the chalky taste of it.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

@flume That's great love, you do what works for you. All i was saying was allow yourself to be more biodiverse in your life and you don't have to consume soy everyday, you can switch it up and mix things around and or take days off/breaks every now and then, its good for your body and immune system. Also if you are consuming soy daily make sure to get adequate iodine to compensate soy's potential effects. This is why Japanese, Korean always eat seaweeds, kelp, sushi, Algae and or other sea vegetables often with Soy because these are very nutrient rich and contain high amounts of Iodine, more so than regular foods and also tend to be bio-enhancers and bio-stimulants which go hand in hand in excess soy intake. Hope this helps :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@TrynaBeTurquoise I do but very rarely, and then from my parents chickens. I don't really want to purchase animal products where I don't know where they're coming from. Maybe I'll try the oatmeal thing once I have my own chickens:D Thanks anyway!

@pluto Didn't know the iodine thing. I'll look it up. Thanks a lot^_^