Eph75

Real life mentors?

12 posts in this topic

In your self actualization journey, in what ways have you managed to find people that can help being mentors / being a gravitational pull upwards in development? 

I'm not counting Leo's videos or authors via books but people that you real life interact with. 

I don't have anyone myself that I can interact with, except a book author that I've met with about every month for the past 1/2 year. He asked me this question; where can you find people on the same level or one level above that can help accelerate my development. I just don't know... I'm an early yellow SD kind of person. 

I want to try and find people that can help me with my development in such ways but I have no idea how to find such relationships.

I thought hearing your stories would be inspirational and might give me ideas. 

This forum of course being a place with such potential, which is why I registered. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

I've never meet anyone like that. My guess would be that they keep to themselves. Which I mostly do myself anymore. You can find some, but be very weary of the quality. 

1 hour ago, Eph75 said:

I'm not counting Leo's videos or authors via books but people that you real life interact with.

I don't really have a good answer to your question, but I just wanted to point out that this can often be enough. That is, listening to podcasts, audiobooks, reading books etc. of people that inspire you. Over time their way of thinking will grow onto you.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

@Elham Good for you!

Wish me luck so I could find my Rabia Balkhi here. ;)

I chose to no longer be a member of this forum.

The real real-life mentors are good intentions :D 

Real life mentors I think are a difficult thing. People that self-actualize I think tend to do so in their solitude but these people are likely to be doing something more in life than just self-actualizing and therefor they could be good mentors in whatever field they operate in.

But, to me, it feels like an impossible mission.

It would be cool if there were self-actualizing focus groups that you could attend. It would be interesting to consider starting one of these but I wouldn't expect any "higher beings" to attend and if that would be the case, it's back to square once since I'm already in a position where I can practice the  knowledge I've already attained.

@Elham That's great.

The internet is like it is, real life what it is. I wouldn't having either personal connection but right now, where I am today, it feels a bit like utopia.

If anyone in far north of Sweden would happen to read this and feels like stretching out a hand, please feel free ;)

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

15 hours ago, Eph75 said:

In your self actualization journey, in what ways have you managed to find people that can help being mentors / being a gravitational pull upwards in development? 

I don't have anyone myself that I can interact with, except a book author that I've met with about every month for the past 1/2 year. He asked me this question; where can you find people on the same level or one level above that can help accelerate my development. I just don't know... I'm an early yellow SD kind of person. 

I want to try and find people that can help me with my development in such ways but I have no idea how to find such relationships.

I thought hearing your stories would be inspirational and might give me ideas. 

This forum of course being a place with such potential, which is why I registered. 

No one I have been solo since day 1... it's best that way.

From a SD point of view, having a center of gravity above you accelerates your development tremendously, so that's something I wouldn't say no to if I stumbled upon it. But tend to agree with you @MAYA EL; a solo hard learned lesson weights in heavier than a shortcut to an answer, losing much gained understanding on a intermittent journey lost.

The question I was asked was more from a business field point of view, which is that of an organizational transformation catalyst and from such a point of view it would be easier to find mentors. Well, at least if you have been good at networking - which I haven't - which probably is more in line with why I am here, being more of an introvert, individual kind of guy.

Thanks for sharing perspectives.

@Eph75 Hey Eph! I had the same problem like you. I think despite being introverted, networking skills are really key here. It's truly about bluntly assessing people's values at events where it's quite likely that you meet some actualizers IMO. The events that helped me most: psychology bachelor students in international cities, mindfulness courses, yoga classes etc.. I felt like that each of these stage green group gathering there are always some who are somehow higher than that. You just have to be good at approaching and then understanding people relatively quickly in order to "assess" many people at such events, but I think that's what you learn automatically when you go out there and just try.

Or try a Vipassana retreat! At the last day you can talk and those people you meet there are usually really amazing and in relation to the population average relatively high on the spiral as well as motivated to grow. I found my mentor through that too.

@Bestyle2209 Yes I think I will have to take that networking beast by the horns. Living in a small town there are not many opportunities though, or at least that is what I would think but then again I wouldn't have been looking for those opportunities in the first place. What we don't bother seeing, passes by unnoticed.

I saw they announced some local or at least locally arranged retreat the other day, I should look into what that is about.