SvanteTheBeast

Philosophical novels

8 posts in this topic

Me and my older brother is going to do a book club thingy and what   we mostly would want to read is novels that in the very essence has a underlying deep meaning that you could go on and on thinking about. Books like siddharta by Herman Hesse. Does anybody have some booktips? 

Thank you very much!

Edited by SvanteTheBeast
Wrote wrong

Moby Dick. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Here are 3 books I loved reading and I feel are perfect for actualized.org-ers. After finishing one of these I guarantee you'll have something to talk about:)

1) The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, very popular book, maybe you know it already. About how devilry evolves when it tries to grasp and materialize perfection (I think that's how Leo would describe it).

2) The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati, short and clearly written but it'll change you forever. It's about how you experience time and how NOT to actualize. This book can ignite your life purpose!

3) Death with Interruptions by José Saramago, about a country where everyone suddenly stops dying. Very thought provoking but also hilarious. It starts off in a zoomed out perspective on society and politics, but very slowly narrows down becoming metaphysical. All in a very captivating emotional story. Writing style is something you have to get into, but personally one of my all time favorites ;D

Autobiographical accounts which read like novels -

https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Way-Challenging-Life-Games/dp/0440593859

https://www.amazon.com/Meetings-Remarkable-Men-All-Everything/dp/0140190376/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Meetings+with+remarkable+men&qid=1569869817&s=books&sr=1-2

Meetings with Remarkable men is autobiographical, but reads like a novel.

Gurdjieff on an expedition crossing the Gobi desert-

"The first thing next day, with the consent of our consciousness, degenerated like those of all contemporary people and and corresponding exactly to the requirements of hell, we killed all the goats, which only the day before we had regarded as our sincere friends and associates in overcoming the difficulties of the journey."

After this admirable Christian-Mohammedan manifestation, one of use began to cut thier meat into small pieces in order to roast it.,,,,,,,

PD Ouspensky- Strange life of Ivan Osokin

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn