Yannik

Is being more aware worth it?

7 posts in this topic

Hello there, 

I noticed that I sometimes tend to multitask rather unconsciously instead of doing one thing and being totally aware of only this one thing. I've done quite a lot of meditation and spiritual work already but especially during the day it seems to be more rewarding for me to do more than one thing at a time (maybe for mental stimulation). 

Some examples:

Watching videos and browsing Youtube while eating

Listening to audiobooks while cooking, walking, falling asleep or whatever

Reading something on my laptop while someone talks to me 

Listening to music while taking a shower/working

My question is, is it worth stopping those behaviors, consuming less and training to be more aware? My motivation to do that is quite low at this point because I've done it for a while already and it didn't give me a more fulfilling experience of life. What are your thoughts on that? Did you experience something similar?

Thanks, and have an outstanding day.

Much love from Austria

Yes, multitasking is a very unhealthy way to go about life.

Minimalise the number of tasks as much as possible, and finish them one by one. When you're done doing things, just sit and enjoy. God will be waiting in silence ?

Edited by Truth Addict

To me it sounds like you are depriving yourself of solitude, which is absolutely essential to mental health. You don't even have to train to be more aware, you can just stop consuming all the time. That alone will give you tremendous benefits. You might want to read "Digital Minimalism" by Cal Newport.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

I can relate to your concerns. Particularly my habits when eating. I feel restless when i eat if i am not reading, watching something or in company. I sometimes think it would be a useful exercise for me to sit and be present as i eat. But then again, if the rest of my day is healthy and balanced, is it a big deal that i behave like this?

Incidentally, If you watch a day in the life of Tim Ferriss, he does his nightly writing stood up, 1-2 glasses of wine, listening to music and with a film on mute in the background.

Of course its worth it. While i reach a high awareness state when meditating I realise that all the time I've spent in low conscious states is lifetime that went to the sink. Living a life run by unconscious behaviours is a  total waste, and very sad.

I have to add something that was not mentioned. It's a 'Yes, but...'-Case.

Generally you want that extra awareness in your life. But life is messy and you can't do everything. If your goal is to be a Master of Cooking you may find that you should be 100% focused on it. But is that what you want?

The Level of Awareness you talk about is not something you achieve 'on the side'. The Monks are away from everyday life for a reason.

Conclusion: Is it good to be more aware? Yes. Should you strive to be fully aware? You have to decide it.

I for myself have recognized that hearing music or podcasts in the streets is a rather bad habit in that regard, but it is hard to break because I do it to gain Power trough it. Some day I will be ready to do this.