Girzo

Deep Adaptation and Climate Tragedy

10 posts in this topic

What if the world is already ruined beyond a point of no return?

This paper is making some buzz lately: http://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf

I start to lose faith in us being able to save ourselves and then this paper comes, igniting these doubts. It makes me want to cry when I think about the BILLIONS of people who will have to suffer due to climate changes. And I get another uneasy feeling from understanding that not only people will suffer, but I could be one of them.

I wonder who else on these forums errs on the side of the argument that we should rather already plan for the catastrophe instead of trying to mitigate the risk and hoping it will be enough. I don't think that anything society is doing right now has the slightest chance of saving us, we are doomed. Life in the next 50 years will get much harder.

Yes, it will. I don't necessarily think it will end though. In fact, most people will survive, albeit with different material conditions to what we have now. 

Global warming will represent an unprecedented challenge to us. We've truly faced nothing like this before. But we will face it, and we will adapt to it, even if there's much uncertainty during the process. 

And remember, YOU imagined global warming up! Everything that is happening is just you, as Infinite Imagination, imagining things infinitely! The answer on how to solve these problems is the same answer to everything else - CONSCIOUSNESS! 

Edited by Apparition of Jack

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

We could, however there are unconscious people who will not do the things required, and they will be allowed to do so by ignorance and deflections that aren't getting questioned

People in the future who will live in awful conditions due to climate change will not take light of excusing people like bill gates or deflections that anyone who has looked at the facts should easily see through

16 hours ago, Girzo said:

What if the world is already ruined beyond a point of no return?

In some regards, we have passed a point of now return. Melted glaciers, destroyed forests, destroyed coral reefs and all the extinct plants and animals aren’t coming back. Old growth forests and coral reefs take hundreds of years to develop. And technology isn’t going to reduce oceanic temperatures. 

This is one of my concerns with perceptions of climate change. Many people think that it’s something out there that may happening. However, this is it. We are in the process right now. It’s like someone stage 2 cancer wondering if cancer is real and how bad it would be to have cancer - and the doctor is like “You have stage 2 cancer. This is it”.

Unfortunately, this view is prevalent in the U.S. Other developed countries are more evolved, on average. I’m hopeful that the U.S. can catch up and become a leader in this area, rather than drag the planet down.

If the science is to be belived we are beyond the point of no return and civilsation will crash regardless of change and innovation.

I don't think change will come. The cause of our ill situation is an ill mind. Mental illness. Ego.

Perhaps innovation will buy us time as a species but I think the future will be very different from this rarity of consumption and abundance. Potential Tech is an outward fix. We need an inward approach.

Deep Adaptation is gold. Jem Bendell has a forum set up but it isn't anything beyond Stage Green it seems. https://deepadaptation.ning.com/

What is needed in my naive opinion? Mass awakening which won't happen in time, if ever. No more phones, tvs, computers, cars, airplanes etc etc. Humanitys neurology as it is is comparable to a crack head rushing down the high street just seeking one last £20 for its next hit. It is unsustainable. It will crash.

If you and I dear reader can/could go sit in a room and meditate, fast and renounce our egoic desires of the future for 30 days. Perhaps we will suffer so deeply we'll come to the realisation that most of humanity couldn't dream of doing such. That 30 days would be a blip percentage of the rest of our lives . . . 

Deep Adaptation indeed.

“Humanity is now faced with a stark choice: Evolve or die. … If the structures of the human mind remain unchanged, we will always end up re-creating the same world, the same evils, the same dysfunction.”  

Breath. 

“What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.” :) 

--

Ecodharma: Buddhist Teachings for the Ecological Crisis

by 

David R. Loy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40637715-ecodharma?from_search=true

---

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

For someone to see their self as a victim is to destroy all action towards growth. You know this. (one of Leo's best videos btw.) That's how growth works, this way of thought must be avoided by principle. To see yourself as a victim of society, or even worse, that the entirety of society is a victim and just doomed is a sneaky (but innocent) way of perpetuating the problem and postponing action.

Humanity is capable of incredible acts of love. This isn't rational. Like how some alcoholic in the gutter, or maybe our younger selves, can never believe there is a meaningful and better future possible. Our collective full potential has never been put to the test. It all starts with dropping victimhood.

Edited by Bas

@Bas Leo dropped his lecture on Impermeability today. One can observe the reality of our enviroment and still Flow in Love and Christ Creation. 

All sand castles must fade into the sea. Love the process :) 

Oft times it takes a bit of fire to clear the overgrowth and bring back an arable foundation. An ego backlash of sorts. 

There are no victims. No demons either. 

One

Edited by SoothedByRain

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

well siyad @Bas 

focus and intent make change not a scarcity mindset shrouded with fear 

20 minutes ago, Bas said:

For someone to see their self as a victim is to destroy all action towards growth. You know this. (one of Leo's best videos btw.) That's how growth works, this way of thought must be avoided by principle. To see yourself as a victim of society, or even worse, that the entirety of society is a victim and just doomed is a sneaky (but innocent) way of perpetuating the problem and postponing action.

Humanity is capable of incredible acts of love. This isn't rational. Like how some alcoholic in the gutter, or maybe our younger selves, can never believe there is a meaningful and better future possible. Our collective full potential has never been put to the test. It all starts with dropping victimhood.

It's not about becoming a victim but accepting that the future will be harder to live.

:) xxx