Kalki Avatar

Self-Realization vs Self-Actualization

9 posts in this topic

I was confused a few days ago about personal development and enlightenment paths merging, so got to ask this friend of mine. If you feel the same, here you go:

I highly recommend you check out all of his videos and website as well. 

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. - Jeremiah 33:3

https://open.spotify.com/track/4V0rRwRqhFPxSJb40XmKA1?si=lNN5hNRPTxi6zNzzi9gFqw&utm_source=copy-link

@kieranperez Self actualization does not mean ego development. Personality creation is ego development. The result of mundane and inner identifications. 

You can be enlightened and be rich, famous, healthy, intelectual, skillfull, attractive, etc. Without ego as a result of self actualization. 

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. - Jeremiah 33:3

https://open.spotify.com/track/4V0rRwRqhFPxSJb40XmKA1?si=lNN5hNRPTxi6zNzzi9gFqw&utm_source=copy-link

1 hour ago, Kalki Avatar said:

@kieranperez Self actualization does not mean ego development. Personality creation is ego development. The result of mundane and inner identifications. 

You can be enlightened and be rich, famous, healthy, intelectual, skillfull, attractive, etc. Without ego as a result of self actualization. 

Yeah sorry you’re just wrong. 

You misunderstand what ego and spiritual development is. Ego literally means “I”. As that (illusion of) “I” develops, it transcends and includes prior stages of development. Which is to say, it’s sense of identity moves more towards absolutely everything. 

And this idea that when you’re enlightned you don’t have an ego is just a myth and if you go to enlightned masters, they will confirm the same thing. So long as you have a body functioning, an embodied perspective, you will have an ego operating because you currently operate as a limited form. What you are however is not any form and will never die. The perspective (your ego) that what your true nature is using as a vehicle to experience creation will die. 

Bottom line:

- ego development and spiritual development are the same. Which is VERY different from saying ego development is the same as spiritual realization (which it’s not).

- you wil have an ego till your body as a human dies. 

Edited by kieranperez

Self-transcendence is just the final step in Maslow's pyramid. One step above self-actualization.

Don't make self-actualization and self-transcendence at odds with one another. They work together.

In the end, to fully actualize yourself you must fully transcend yourself.

The first half of this journey you spend actualizing your human self.

The second half of this journey you spend actualizing your God Self.

#1 leads to #2. And then #2 undoes #1. It's hard to undo #1 until you do #1. Most people need a lot more work doing #1 before they can even entertain #2.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I suppose the two were blended together in certain cultures, like Buddhism and Hinduism. The enlightened master should be both self-actualized and self-transcendent, and can't be either. 'Either' is not enlightenment. He must be both.

So, as he's teaching enlightenment, he's also monitoring the ego development of his students. The goal is to not 'give' enlightenment to poorly developed individuals, since that'll make them Zen-devils. Only the best of the best, the most selfless students are 'given' the enlightenment title, and it is meaningless to them, so they are the best people to lead. Self-actualization is like the safety valve to ensure that no devils can pass.

To be self-transcendent is to be free, and to be self-actualized is to be well-educated, nuanced, and systemic. To be enlightened is to be both.

I believe that is the case, and it takes a genius to create such systems!

Edited by Truth Addict