Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raptorsin7

The Impact of No-Self

3 posts in this topic

How does the truth of no-self actually influence our lives day to day. For example, i'm currently doing self-inquiry work, the purpose of which is to discover the insight of no-self (I think i'm not actually sure what i'm going to get out of this), but i don't know how that will actually change my life. How does one change after learning the truth no-self, and please correct me if i'm wrong about the purpose of self-inquiry work. Does anyone remember how their experience changed from before they had the insight to after they had the insight?

@Raptorsin7 that is just one, often the first, of many realizations.    Understanding your true nature is understanding the fundamental nature of reality.    This is liberating in itself, but it is just the beginning.   The pinnacle, to me, of this work, is the realization of Oneness.  This will bring a deep sense of peace in your life although at first it will be quite the shock.  

As you keep going deeper in this work, you will be walking down a path that brings more peace, love, and wisdom in your life.  This wisdom will help you to begin the path of transcending all of the things that cause us to suffer.  This doesn't mean suffering will just vanish - but the closer you are aligned with Truth the less you cling to your finite identity.  The more you cling to your finite identity the more you will fear.  The more you will suffer.  The less peace you will have.  

Now ultimately you must come full circle and embrace your duality - your identity.  But on the return path it is with much, much more consciousness and wisdom.  You will embrace your identity without clinging to it.  That is a fundamental difference.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Raptorsin7 I experience life in a much less personal way now 

I'm much more present. My mind wandering and self-referential thoughts are hugely diminished. When I'm anxious or afraid for example, it doesn't create as much suffering as before. I lost a lot of motivation to pursue money, career etc. 

Better default concentration. Generally, I enjoy the good times as much as before and bad times like depressed mood and/or anxiety are more bearable.

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk