randombodymind

The Denial Of Death

11 posts in this topic

we are going to die.
Society is a way of hiding that.
Like you said in contemplating your own death, it's a very motivating thing to do.
Most people hide death and trivilise there lives.
Let's look at those mechanisms for hiding it and various coping mechanisms and avoidance strategies

To become more aware of my death, I will write about the best moments in my life and my regrets. However, the catch with my regrets list is to write how I will learn from this regret and treat it as a lesson. I will also write a vision of my death! I will ask "did I live the life I wanted to? What did I experience? What do I want to experience? How do I feel about the past, the present and future? What are my regrets? How are these regrets valuable? How will I prepare for my death?  Will I be proud of my life or will I regret my life? 

Death should not scare you;  because nothing is dying but an illusion of the egoic self, and an organism that was not "you" in the first place. ;)

@SkyPanther The video I posted wasn't about being afraid of death but about being afraid of waisting your life. This is very related tothe denial of death in our culture. And when you say that death should not scare you and that there is no you in the first place, do you "know" this as a belief, or is it a realisation you had?

Edited by Wouter

8 hours ago, Wouter said:

@SkyPanther The video I posted wasn't about being afraid of death but about being afraid of waisting your life. This is very related tothe denial of death in our culture. And when you say that death should not scare you and that there is no you in the first place, do you "know" this as a belief, or is it a realisation you had?

It's a realization I had.   The "I" is a conglomeration of different parts that takes on the illusion of a whole entity. 

Wasting your life is an interesting notion though...  mostly because one can also see that no deed, no matter how "empty" is a waste.  All effects are started from some cause, and so nothing is a "waste" in the grand scheme of things.   It can be perceived as a "waste" by the culture/concepts you surround yourself with however.   Some people think being a Monk/Yogi, and sitting and meditating your whole life is a waste because you add nothing to the economy. ;) 

Wow, impressing that you actually realised it. I don't really understand what you want to say about the notion of wasting your life. Do you mean that every notion of a wasted life is arbitrary, or that the general notion of a wasted life (e.g not contributing to the economy) is "wrong"?

23 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Wow, impressing that you actually realised it. I don't really understand what you want to say about the notion of wasting your life. Do you mean that every notion of a wasted life is arbitrary, or that the general notion of a wasted life (e.g not contributing to the economy) is "wrong"?

It is arbitrary, or relative.  What is a waste of life to you, may not be a waste of life to someone else. I think that "metrics" of a wasted life or not, is ultimately up to the person that is living it.

We create our own purpose in life, so saying "it's a waste" is arbitrary in that instance.  If there was an ultimate "purpose" than you could make a case of something/someone doing something that is a waste... but since there is no set "purpose" a "waste" is all dependent on the person and the life they themselves perceive as not reaching some purpose or goal they set for themselves. 

I agree :) At the other hand, personally for myself, as it happens that my values evolve, I tend to watch at the ones before as "less good". That is quite strange I think, because I don't see where this kind of judgment could be grounded in.

Just now, Wouter said:

I agree :) At the other hand, personally for myself, as it happens that my values evolve, I tend to watch at the ones before as "less good". That is quite strange I think, because I don't see where this kind of judgment could be grounded in.

*nod* well, or unwholesome, or unskilled. 

But here is something else to think about.  Sometimes you may fail to reach your goal because of society, culture, genetics, experience (or lack thereof). This is not your fault, and you did not choose any of it, and ultimately why things like "free will" are illusory.   All experience is subject to a cause and effect chain.  This is why most spiritual paths that have to do with Enlightenment (Buddhism/Hinduism), tend to have a different definition of "free will", that in the lense of compatibilism.  Determinism, and Free Will entwined to be something else.  You are free to choose, but your choices are colored by the options you have, and some of those options are determined by circumstance that are outside of your control. 

I love this quote: "You can do what you like, but not like what you like."