Kloof

Saw something disturbing. How do I get it out of my mind?

9 posts in this topic

Hello friends,

I didn't think this qualified as a "serious emotional problem," and thought you consciousness experts could give me some good tips. But let me know if this belongs somewhere else.

Yesterday, I witnessed something disturbing. It was no one's fault, I did what I safely could. Logically, I know there's no reason for me to feel guilt or regret. But I can't stop thinking about it. Even though I'm trying to keep my mind away, I keep thinking about how I could have reacted differently, who I can blame, what circumstances out of my control could have led to a better outcome...

I tried meditating, focusing on my breath, but the images/sounds kept popping into my mind.

Do you have any advice? Can I make these thoughts go away faster with some technique, or do I have to wait it out?

Fast fix: Shamanic Breathing.

Ultimate solution: Surrender.

Edited by Truth Addict

Let it be. Just sit in your room and let the images in your mind do whatever they want. If it causes annoying, let it be. If causes sadness let it be. Relax your muscles. You are going to feel bad but there is no other way. Repressing it with concentration won't work. Believe me I tried many things to deal with this and nothig works but letting the feeling go. 

@Kloof for one don’t resist them, try to open up and feel them fully. 

Secondly, contemplate what it means to have emotions. Identify what they feel like in the body and see if you can be aware of them coming in and going. 

Lastly, remember that everything is always changing and you will get past this with time. You won’t always feel this way. 

You are all so kind. Thank you for your speedy advice!  

@Truth Addict : I'll give Shamanic Breathing a try, I've heard of it but haven't tried it before. Thank you!

@Jonac, Dimitri, Meditationdude: Thank you, it seems there's a consensus that I shouldn't force the images out of my head, but instead, just let them be what they are.  You all are awesome. You don't think it'll make the images more vivid and terrifying? I'm afraid that letting the thoughts and images come is going to "solidify it" in my mind. I have no evidence for thinking that, it was just my assumption. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Kloof said:

Can I make these thoughts go away faster with some technique

Don’t think of a pink elephant. See?

Attention on the absence of a thought is sneaky attention on the thought. 

Write down a couple words on one piece of paper; what you can extrapolate from the experience, about what you do not want. Use general words, derived from the experience, not descriptive detailed words about the experience.

Then you know (because all thought is dualistic) what you do want. Write that down on a second piece of paper. Then crumble up that first piece of paper up, and throw it away. 

You are vibrationally attracting all experience, you can also do it on purpose. 

Poteniality}vibration}”perception”

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Truly, I am grateful. I just tried it, it was so powerful! At first I was skeptical that I could extrapolate anything from this experience and come away with something that I do want. But I tried it out, and I feel a lot better. Did you read about this somewhere or did you come up with it on your own? Either way, have you thought about writing a wikihow article on the subject? :) Before I posted here, I googled what to do and really couldn't find great advice.

@Kloof You’re too kind man, thanks. I did hear about it but I didn’t ‘get it’ and therefore wasn’t implementing it. Then I went in a black hole and came out a white hole and was like, oh, ok, I get it now. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE