Alex bliss

Why doesn't buddhism call the emptiness as god??

41 posts in this topic

In Buddhism, 'Sunyata' is the basis of all reality. It is what underlies all forms and is the 'substance' that the world is made of.

The concept of 'God' is more associated with Hinduism. The Hindus believed in many Gods, they thought of Brahma as the supreme reality,  they believed in a soul or a self, while Buddha had nothing to say about them and thought of as irrelevant. Hinduism has all sorts of complex beliefs, rituals, creeds, rites, mantras, stories, legends, philosophy, etc etc.

The reason is that Hinduism is also a way of life, not just for 'monks' like the Buddhists, but for everyone. It served a standard religion function, that's why it has all sorts of moral codes, heaven and hell, belief in Gods etc like Christianity, however Buddhism was more of a religion for the recluse, you are not a good Buddhist if you are actively indulging in worldly pleasures, and Buddhism is way more focused  on direct enlightenment and direct spiritual experience then Hinduism. The founder of Buddhism is the 'Buddha' a guy who had made the vow to be enlightened at all costs whether doesn't matter if he dies or not . Buddhism is influenced by that.
But the ideas in Buddhism already have their basis in Hinduism.

Before Buddhism, Hindus had concepts like 'Om', Samadhi, Turiya. The things written in Buddhism is already written in the Upanishads.

Both religions are correct, it's just that Buddhism has a different way to interpret reality that may have a universal ring to it, while Hinduism puts labels on all sort of things and may look like it has a cultural influence. But what I think is they are trying to say the same thing. It's like saying, whether reality is a positive (hindus) or a negative(buddhism), is there a soul or a no soul, whether the substance of the world is 'Brahma' or 'Sunyata'. It's just a matter of perception.

Edited by Ibn Sina

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

Just remember that all the people that are so quick to tell you about God have never seen God.

We are quick to give are opinion as if its known truth when the reality is that at best it's just a guess .

I might be wrong but it's cause they believe God is the Buddha-mind.  I think emptiness is the nature of mind, nature of God like Leo also says God is a giant mind. So what is the substance of a mind it's empty but it exists.

"Your the left eye and i am the right would it not be madness to fight, WE COME ONE." - Faithless

1 hour ago, Ibn Sina said:

In Buddhism, 'Sunyata' is the basis of all reality. It is what underlies all forms and is the 'substance' that the world is made of.

The concept of 'God' is more associated with Hinduism. The Hindus believed in many Gods, they thought of Brahma as the supreme reality,  they believed in a soul or a self, while Buddha had nothing to say about them and thought of as irrelevant. Hinduism has all sorts of complex beliefs, rituals, creeds, rites, mantras, stories, legends, philosophy, etc etc.

The reason is that Hinduism is also a way of life, not just for 'monks' like the Buddhists, but for everyone. It served a standard religion function, that's why it has all sorts of moral codes, heaven and hell, belief in Gods etc like Christianity, however Buddhism was more of a religion for the recluse, you are not a good Buddhist if you are actively indulging in worldly pleasures, and Buddhism is way more focused  on direct enlightenment and direct spiritual experience then Hinduism. The founder of Buddhism is the 'Buddha' a guy who had made the vow to be enlightened at all costs whether doesn't matter if he dies or not . Buddhism is influenced by that.
But the ideas in Buddhism already have their basis in Hinduism.

Before Buddhism, Hindus had concepts like 'Om', Samadhi, Turiya. The things written in Buddhism is already written in the Upanishads.

Both religions are correct, it's just that Buddhism has a different way to interpret reality that may have a universal ring to it, while Hinduism puts labels on all sort of things and may look like it has a cultural influence. But what I think is they are trying to say the same thing. It's like saying, whether reality is a positive (hindus) or a negative(buddhism), is there a soul or a no soul, whether the substance of the world is 'Brahma' or 'Sunyata'. It's just a matter of perception.

Actively engaging in worldly pleasure is fine to be a good Buddhist, buy the middle way and all that

It's almost like this forum doesn't deserve a good well informed post based on data, research and knowledge. A well educated post can easily be torn down  by an ignorant user just by spitting some one liner bullshit and the value of the gem just reduces. I don't think I am going to spend much time here writing down my posts. It's fruitless. 

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

23 minutes ago, Ibn Sina said:

It's almost like this forum doesn't deserve a good well informed post based on data, research and knowledge. A well educated post can easily be torn down  by an ignorant user just by spitting some one liner bullshit and the value of the gem just reduces. I don't think I am going to spend much time here writing down my posts. It's fruitless. 

Mine is a two liner. ;)

Edited by Joker_Theory

"Your the left eye and i am the right would it not be madness to fight, WE COME ONE." - Faithless

25 minutes ago, Ibn Sina said:

You are so self centered and your ego is so big that whenever somebody dismiss or disagree your post that you consider a valuable "gem" you get angry lol. Lot of work to do!

@Moreira lool yeah.   @Ibn Sina bro spirituality means being generous without expectations..when you give something just so that you get back ..that's selfish motive !! Peace ?

Because God would then become a 'thing', something that can be worshipped.

Try to worship emptiness/nothingness, you will always fail.

You are free, so be free. That's the whole point of religion.

Edited by Truth Addict

@Alex bliss because god is still something. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

20 hours ago, Moreira said:

your ego is so big

My ego is as big as the empire state building. 

However, if you logically, with good knowledge and research show that I am wrong, then I  accept it. I am not 'irrationally' egotistical when it comes to learning.

But I get frustrated when someone just throws one liner crap and  it gets equated with all the hard work and deep research that I have  gone through. 
Any pot head or crack head can come to this forum and give their  opinions, and now I am equal to them, however  I have done far more work then them. What I write  can be of value to the readers of this forum.

It's like, Einstein  wrote down entire theory of   of general relativity on a wall seen by everybody, and a methaddict  comes along and sprays 'It is wrong'and walks away.

It is frustrating.

Edited by Ibn Sina

@Ibn Sina I appreciated your thoughtful, well written and researched response above. I know what you mean, but keep in mind that not everyone who reads and appreciates the time you put in will necessarily give you any signal that they did so.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish Yes, you are right. But It's  not that I want everyone to thank me and show that they appreciate my effort, it's that I don't react properly to someone trying to show me wrong and create 'doubt' in what I said. And the reason is, I get into a dilemma, should  I spend my time refuting his arguements? Or  should I leave it like that? But what he wrote makes my post 'look' like it is wrong, so should I reply him to make it not look wrong? But wouldn't that be just a waste of time?

Leo's vids have very high standards. But I have to say, his forum has low standard.  There is very few high quality material in here, most of them is just people giving their opinions however they feel like , passing their time, trying to feel better  by arguing etc.

Edited by Ibn Sina

@Ibn Sina I'd say just avoid the trap of feeling like the last word is the final word. Just because someone put up some lower quality post after you spoke your mind doesn't mean anyone is listening to the last one. I think you can have confidence in what you said, and let go of feeling like you need to prove yourself, because really, do you even care what some random individual on the internet thinks?

Most of the time I find it's not really worth engaging in debates, but there's a sweet spot where it can be worthwhile. Just depends doesn't it...? I remember reading once (maybe in a Steven Pinker book) how obviously, debates/arguments rarely change the opponent's mind. But what they do do, when they're done right, is change the spectators' mind. Makes sense.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

8 minutes ago, outlandish said:

@Ibn Sina I'd say just avoid the trap of feeling like the last word is the final word. Just because someone put up some lower quality post after you spoke your mind doesn't mean anyone is listening to the last one. I think you can have confidence in what you said, and let go of feeling like you need to prove yourself, because really, do you even care what some random individual on the internet thinks?

Most of the time I find it's not really worth engaging in debates, but there's a sweet spot where it can be worthwhile. Just depends doesn't it...? I remember reading once (maybe in a Steven Pinker book) how obviously, debates/arguments rarely change the opponent's mind. But what they do do, when they're done right, is change the spectators' mind. Makes sense.

Thanx for the advice :)