carlo

How To Overcome Addiction To Thinking With Meditation?

11 posts in this topic

I am trying the do nothing tecnique (just 2 weeks), but as soon I sit and do nothing I start to thinking.

what if I am addicted to thinking, and i just sit and do nothing but i start to thinking?

In the words of Sadhguru, your brain is the result of thousands and thousands of years of evolution, how could it be an enemy? Why would you want to turn it off? The brain is one of the most incredible phenomena that exist. You actually want to welcome these thoughts, welcome pain and welcome discomfort. The goal is to lose attachment to these things, they are not you/yours. If you try to avoid these, you will be in an infinite chase. People last lifetimes avoiding. Just observe, experience, and most importantly: be. 

so.. that means that I should keep doing nothing, 
no matter if I  get lost in thoughts ?

Simply allow yourself to watch the breath, watch your thoughts flowing through your head, sometimes you will get lost in a thought form or start to wander, just guide yourself back to your observing position. Dont judge your thoughts as right or wrong, detach from them and just be still. This will become easier with practice, first it is important to just be able to disconnect from all external stimulation and be alone and quiet for a little while. 

Just take it simply, use this time to learn about yourself and will yourself to go a little deeper each time. Use it to experience living in the present and being at peace. It's not so much about focusing on nothing, it's more existing freely within the flow of life. Eventually you'll find that ironically all of this leads to the "nothing" you're talking about! 

In brief , I had the same issue when I started.  It's pretty easy to judge your self like , SHIT I'm thinking I must stop,

Instead just let your mind do whatever it wants , there are no limits , just try not to control the thoughts . Even trying not tocontrol is basically  doing something, so that's the paradox. Whatever is there just accept it , thought, feeling anything , if you fail start again, love the part of you that fails . That's DO NOTHING in a nutshell ?

Hi Carlo!

Take a look at this video.  It's a guided Vipassana style meditation from Sam Harris.  I think of it as a good teaching method for those of us who are just starting out on our mediation path.  This has some very good pointing out instructions for getting to the nitty-gritty of why we're supposed to be meditating in the first place.  I hope you will quickly realize that "free-will" is an illusion and that there is no "you" who is "addicted" to these thoughts.

Enjoy and let me know how you get on!

wow thanks to everyone!

just one more think :

I must focus my attention in everything without controlling ?

or can i let go the Control of attention too ? (that seems like literally do nothing at all :P )

p.s. sorry for my english

in the Do Nothing technique, it is ok to let your mind wander with thoughts. let go of the urge to control your thoughts, dont resist. Just let everything be. Let your mind run without trying to control where it is going. Whenever you find yourself struggling, just watch it happening, and accept the moment. 

Edited by Man in the Mirror

@carlo You're not doing do-nothing properly. Watch the Do Nothing video again and notice that you're specifically told not to try to stop thinking. That is doing something!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

thanks to all for the advice!! 

and @Leo Gura

you also answered me in the video of addictions , and Im so grateful and motivated for your help, thank you very much and I will be watching the video as many times as necessary!