Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bejapuskas

Teaching kids how fear works

7 posts in this topic

I watched the latest video about fear and I found it interesting when Leo talked about this teaching kids about fear - do you actually think it could work this way, that they could go straight into complete emotional mastery, or do you think most people have to go through this whole spiral dynamics spectrum of cognitive development? Would those kids even understand what's being said to them? (given that they weren't as indoctrinated with limiting beliefs when they first attended school) It's kind of hard to believe it could actually work this way you know, it's a big claim. A video on developmental psychology would be really nice.

I think no matter how sophisticated our maps become, the only way that we can learn something is through going through the process of trial and error. Experience is essential for learning.

Babies watch adults walking, but they can't do it until they endure hundreds of attempts and falls.

Edited by Truth Addict

Sounds like a big project, since most adults aren't gonna be communicating this and it is not realistic to think that these kids would only meet high-consciousness individuals. What would it actually be like if you only met these people, hm... Maybe a person like this wouldn't even be able to feel compassion, because they wouldn't know suffering.

@bejapuskas only if you don`t induce fear - if fear arises you can teach them about letting go of that fear or how to maybe face it in a soft way. if you overdo it you are only inducing fear that might be not there in the first place. there is a lot of fear that will come up during the process of growing up already, i wouldn`t overstretch their learning ability by teaching them fear. there are a lot of other methods to teach them a healthy relationship to their surrounding, explanations about dynamics can help if they ask questions. there are a lot of great children books that have fear as content to solve fear in a creative way. children live in a magical world, they need to coap with reality, their fears are often of purple nature. i would not experiment on it heavily as they could also develop trauma if you do it on an existential level especially if you are a parent better coap with your own fears first, they learn more by you being a good example.

Edited by remember

@bejapuskas I am a parent, and also a being that dwells far to much in the land of fear. I adore Leo's videos, it's hard to say which has been most valuable to me, (they all help transfomation in different ways)... But, this video is up near the top! As I handle/ expose the illusions of my own fear, this will teach my daughter. I can also help guide and illuminate truth underneath the fear for her (like the snake thats actually a rope when seen in the light) simply by bringing that light of mindfulness in, as a tool for her... So far, that is all I have discovered. Let me know if you think of anything else. We have both witnessed or experienced abuse which makes the potential for fear/ triggers more abundant, and unfortunately like the tigers that really chase, humans living in suffering can be vicious too: they lurk in plain sight, and in sheeps clothing... That is the hardest for me to handle and to teach... To eliminate fear, while still guarding against/ not being affected by the barrage of emotional/ verbal/ physical attacks that come at times.... To send love to bullies and lost souls that lash out (like tiger claws) to our hearts... To somehow create a shield of love that is impenetrable to these "attacks"... *and* to see the attacks as "the rope" (the underlying pain body), rather than the apparent serpent and it's bite, visible on the surface... Let me know if you have any ideas here too :)

@Epiphany_Inspired I am sorry to reply so late :) Thanks for your beautiful answer. I think I better understand now what Leo means by this nondual perspective on fear, when there is one, there cannot be fear, fear is only when there is two, fear cannot exist by itself. When there is only Love, there is no need to care about the attackers' intentions, right? You don't need to debate and justify, because Love stands by itself and creates itself, it is its own explanation, yet it doesn't need any, because it is the only One there is.

But also it is understandable that not everyone is aware of this and especially with kids, it can be sometimes hard, because if you don't control a naughty kid, he will make you mad very quickly xD Trust me, I tried being a friend to them rather than an authority and it was a big mistake... (I am a leader of a scout group) I guess a loving solution either has to be implied earlier or it is just something completely different... I think that trying to radically apply mystical insights on parenting is a crazy idea, it is complex and counter-intuitive.

Love really isn't just the sweatness of emotion

Edited by bejapuskas