happysad

Why do Spirituality groups feel so Culty?

23 posts in this topic

Honestly how come most spiritual groups feel so Culty, like these forms do. Don't get me wrong I appreciate reading others insights and hearing about their path but I just can't get past this feeling. Also how do you even know who's genuinely enlightened, especially over the internet. I mean anyone can just be bullshitting themselves and just feeding their own ego. I just feel like so many people are lying to themselves, thinking they have something special when they don't. 

@happysad OMFG 

Bro i'm with you man

I would actually say that spirituality is the biggest bullshit i've ever heard in my life! LOOOL 

from a tier 1 paradigm 

but ultimately yeah it is what it is. it works on this forum, because most of us are aware of self-deception and self-biased. otherwise you would exactly that.. a cult. You wouldn't see me here, if that wasn't the case and i can garuntee you of that. in fact i can go one further and say this website right here, is the least delusion place in the entire planet. Funny what a couple of "www. " can do lol. 

I should probably say IMO just so its not taken as a fact. 

Edited by Aakash

How could it be otherwise?

See my video: Cult Psychology - Part 2.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 minutes ago, happysad said:

Honestly how come most spiritual groups feel so Culty, like these forms do. Don't get me wrong I appreciate reading others insights and hearing about their path but I just can't get past this feeling.

This feeling of "cultishness" is not something objective or inherent in the groups themselves, but rather a projection from yourself. Examine the feeling closely, what do you see?

8 minutes ago, happysad said:

Also how do you even know who's genuinely enlightened, especially over the internet. I mean anyone can just be bullshitting themselves and just feeding their own ego. I just feel like so many people are lying to themselves, thinking they have something special when they don't. 

I could tell you how, but then how would you know that I'm not lying to you or deluding myself? Do you see the problem here? You don't know until you know.

@happysad You must be able to distinguish between Truth and group think. Find what is true for you. There is no other way.

@Leo Gura I'll Have to watch that again, but if I'm being honest the Cult Psychology videos genuinely got me out of what I would call a Spiritual Cult, you prob know the one. So thank you for that. 

@Aakash Thanks for the Reply and I get it. I noticed people really call you on your bullshit here which is great. 

@Truth Addict

10 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:
11 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

I could tell you how, but then how would you know that I'm not lying to you or deluding myself? Do you see the problem here? You don't know until you know.

I can appreciate this and I guess I'm just projecting my own self bias here. 

@happysad aahahahah OMG i'm laughing so much. 

thank you, for the laughter. I appreciate your words, they were beautiful. 

1 minute ago, Aakash said:

@happysad aahahahah OMG i'm laughing so much. 

thank you, for the laughter. I appreciate your words, they were beautiful. 

Im confused at whats so funny but glad I can make you laugh 

Anything can seem like a cult. An old people's bingo group could feel like a cult. The key thing is to watch your judgement and fear to avoid using it as an excuse to not engage. Yeh if the group are brainwashing, killing or torturing others then get out while you can but otherwise jump right in brother. 

Edited by Bill W

@happysad Bro you have given me the most amazing insights, i've ever had in my life. 

I now understand all my friends when we were fighting with other guys and i'm there fighting and thinking to myself why are we fighting its so non-sensical. 

This is why i say to myself, its amazing i grew up in the culture i did and didn't take on any of their beliefs. If i did .... nuts 

my body is telling me to say one thing, my mind is telling me to say one thing and my heart is telling me that its nice. 

For what its worth, just this week i counted 5 new enlightened beings joined this site. So you could say its advanced, just its difficult to deal with the more advanced stuff because people are in different places. 

Edited by Aakash

@Aakash Well Happy I could help you sir :) 

11 minutes ago, Aakash said:

my body is telling me to say one thing, my mind is telling me to say one thing and my heart is telling me that its nice. 

I like this, Pretty much sums up some of my feelings while posting this. I was scared to post this, thinking id be put down for some reason. Thanks for sharing dude. 

It's partly because you have to be creative in language use to talk about spirituality and followers of a specific teacher will use a lot of the same terms, so it can seem creepy and like everyone is parroting. 

As for who is enlightened and who isn't, things aren't always as they seem and projections run amok. It's easy to get lost in a maze of trying to figure out who is who and what's what but always bring it back to your own projections and state of mind/emotion. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 hours ago, happysad said:

Honestly how come most spiritual groups feel so Culty, like these forms do. Don't get me wrong I appreciate reading others insights and hearing about their path but I just can't get past this feeling. Also how do you even know who's genuinely enlightened, especially over the internet. I mean anyone can just be bullshitting themselves and just feeding their own ego. I just feel like so many people are lying to themselves, thinking they have something special when they don't. 

There are some inconvenient truths about spiritual groups like this forum and face to face ones.  

Speaking purely objectively, a portion of people who get attracted to groups like this were not accepted in society for a multitude of reasons. For example they were weird, have outlandish beliefs or had outlandish values compared to common society. A large portion has been psychologically damaged from this experience: usually personality related disorders.

For them to save face, they need a way to cover up these traumas, because just the thought of uncovering them brings them immeasurable pain. They need to find a way to feel what they lack: to feel like they belong, are not weird, don't have problems. One sneaky, clever lie is to tell themselves that they aren't accepted in society because they are 'special', above the rest. This one is especially rampant on this forum, observe and you will see. 

Forums like this, new age groups at large, are a way for them to cover up their traumas, and get what they lack or were rejected with in the past. They forget about society and fully immerse themselves into these little bubbles, putting these bubbles on a pedastool; telling themselves these bubbles are morally superior to their society, more intelligent. They must do this otherwise their egos would have to face the harsh facts that they are covering up psychological traumas. 

Having said that, there are genuine spiritual communities out there, and genuine people in spiritual communities, but you really need to distinguish the healthy from the unhealthy if you want to have a sober, good life. Using spiritual communities as a way of bypassing egoic problems is extremely rampant. Its generally moreso located in green stage, western new age communities, rather than traditional communities like Eastern ones(although they have different sets of problems to avoid). 

Just notice that structure of spiritual communities are generally designed to cover up egoic traumas that a group of people faced in the past, using new aged concepts, moralisation, superiority and other ideas to trick themselves into not building a healthy ego.

EDIT: after reading Akash's comments I just remembered another sneaky ego trick. Having spiritual experiences, then projecting the idea that this spiritual experience is special, above the rest. Getting over excited about this spiritual experience, and then this leads to thinking that you are more special than the rest of society because you had this spiritual insight. Or maybe not thinking you are special, but thinking this community is more special than the rest of society, because you are having these spiritual experiences and all of your friends and family are not.

Like if you want to be healthy, immerse yourself with ordinary society and enjoy it. Don't use this forum and its ideas to escape it. Connect with your parents, family, friends. Don't necessarily adopt their habits, but be the role model to them for how to live an extra-ordinary life. Be compassionate and love them. Be humble, don't show off your spiritual insights to anyone, understand their needs and problems and try to help them in any way you can. Much more boring this way? Can't think your some special spiritually gifted person this way? Good, then you know you're on track.

Edited by electroBeam

@Leo Gura This might be somewhat of a tangential question, but do you have any friends, so to speak? People you hang out with, are close to, support, get advice from, etc. and who aren't just a part of Actualized.org?

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

9 hours ago, electroBeam said:

There are some inconvenient truths about spiritual groups like this forum and face to face ones.  

Speaking purely objectively, a portion of people who get attracted to groups like this were not accepted in society for a multitude of reasons. For example they were weird, have outlandish beliefs or had outlandish values compared to common society. A large portion has been psychologically damaged from this experience: usually personality related disorders.

For them to save face, they need a way to cover up these traumas, because just the thought of uncovering them brings them immeasurable pain. They need to find a way to feel what they lack: to feel like they belong, are not weird, don't have problems. One sneaky, clever lie is to tell themselves that they aren't accepted in society because they are 'special', above the rest. This one is especially rampant on this forum, observe and you will see. 

Forums like this, new age groups at large, are a way for them to cover up their traumas, and get what they lack or were rejected with in the past. They forget about society and fully immerse themselves into these little bubbles, putting these bubbles on a pedastool; telling themselves these bubbles are morally superior to their society, more intelligent. They must do this otherwise their egos would have to face the harsh facts that they are covering up psychological traumas. 

Having said that, there are genuine spiritual communities out there, and genuine people in spiritual communities, but you really need to distinguish the healthy from the unhealthy if you want to have a sober, good life. Using spiritual communities as a way of bypassing egoic problems is extremely rampant. Its generally moreso located in green stage, western new age communities, rather than traditional communities like Eastern ones(although they have different sets of problems to avoid). 

Just notice that structure of spiritual communities are generally designed to cover up egoic traumas that a group of people faced in the past, using new aged concepts, moralisation, superiority and other ideas to trick themselves into not building a healthy ego.

EDIT: after reading Akash's comments I just remembered another sneaky ego trick. Having spiritual experiences, then projecting the idea that this spiritual experience is special, above the rest. Getting over excited about this spiritual experience, and then this leads to thinking that you are more special than the rest of society because you had this spiritual insight. Or maybe not thinking you are special, but thinking this community is more special than the rest of society, because you are having these spiritual experiences and all of your friends and family are not.

Like if you want to be healthy, immerse yourself with ordinary society and enjoy it. Don't use this forum and its ideas to escape it. Connect with your parents, family, friends. Don't necessarily adopt their habits, but be the role model to them for how to live an extra-ordinary life. Be compassionate and love them. Be humble, don't show off your spiritual insights to anyone, understand their needs and problems and try to help them in any way you can. Much more boring this way? Can't think your some special spiritually gifted person this way? Good, then you know you're on track.

Your idea. I m so borred with life at 25. It would not surprise me.

If imagination is not Real. The only way is make it happen.

Ordinary people and mass suck.

Everything that makes me borred suck.

Simply :

Everything that threaten my way of how I want life to be should be erased not accepted.

As a product of the Matrix god. His will is my will.

There is nothing to hold on.

Ordinary people are equal to your own delusion.

There is only you. Shaping.

Or you bow head ' or you shape

Fuck people that threaten my way of thinking.

Or they go to my level or they suffer trying to reach it.

The one who can't they are born to serv me. Just like a dream serv you.

That's why waking up is relative.

For all you know ( your mind )

Hitler and Trump could be aware of everything.

Imagine you surrend all meaning you can still cling to old bs. Like being ordinary.

When someone wake up. Doesn't make him a saint.

A player walking

@Aeris I don't know who took your kitten last night and gave it to the neighbor, it wasn't me.