Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
millyy

Should I try psychedelics despite mental illness?

8 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a bipolar type 2 (mixed symptoms) diagnosis, which I’m not sure is valid, but I’m on a mood stabilizer for it. My family has a history of mental illness (can go into more detail if need be). Would trying psychedelics be a bad idea? I’m not concerned about having a “bad trip”. I’m just concerned about having a psychotic reaction. I have never had delusions or hallucinations. I’ve done DXM and LSA with no issues so far.

Edited by millyy

1) Start with a threshold dose

2) Up the dosages very slowly

3) If you encounter any psychotic reactions, immediately stop doing psychedelics

And don't start with 5-MeO-DMT, it's hard to measure very accurately 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

Well, psychedelics to my knowledge and experience are really just a reflection of your subconscious mind so it is very possible for you to have bad trips. However, if you up the dosages slowly like @Enlightenment said you shouldn't have too many problems. Also if you let go of control when and if you have a bad trip you can actually learn a looot of stuff about yourself from it, kind of like forced shadow work. It could help you look your disorder in another light (I say this as someone with a lot of anxiety and it helped me do that.)

Take all of this with a grain of salt though, I am not very experienced with psychedelics.

7 hours ago, millyy said:

I have never had delusions or hallucinations. 

Your whole life is a delusion and a hallucination. Can you handle that?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I just want to say one thing if you do it add a trip sitter. :)

"Your the left eye and i am the right would it not be madness to fight, WE COME ONE." - Faithless

9 hours ago, millyy said:

Would trying psychedelics be a bad idea?

Um, yes.

9 hours ago, millyy said:

I’m just concerned about having a psychotic reaction.

Which is very possible.

Are you aware "anti"-psychotics are often prescribed for both Bipolar 1 and 2 to control hypomania and mania? Are you also aware that patients with Bipolar 2 can become Bipolar 1?

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I would micro-dose mushrooms or cannabis first and see how you go from there. One step at a time :) Sometimes people with mental disorders get cured. It can go both ways which is why best to do micro-dosing and slowly work your way up.

B R E A T H E

On 18.9.2019 at 2:01 PM, millyy said:

Hello. I have a bipolar type 2 (mixed symptoms) diagnosis, which I’m not sure is valid, but I’m on a mood stabilizer for it. My family has a history of mental illness (can go into more detail if need be). Would trying psychedelics be a bad idea? I’m not concerned about having a “bad trip”. I’m just concerned about having a psychotic reaction. I have never had delusions or hallucinations. I’ve done DXM and LSA with no issues so far.

Doing psychedelics might be a bad idea, the keyword here being... "might". If you decide to try it, please start off slow and follow certain guidelines before tripping. Also, I advice that you look into the mix and possible interaction between medications and the potential substance. 

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj