Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Superfluo

Good resources for learning

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody!

I want to learn nutrition and health in a detailed and holistic way, Stage Yellow-Turquoise, and I found these:

Do you think the papers and articles in these sites are too complex, deep and narrow? I'm studying, so I don't have much time to learn advanced notions of chemistry, biology, ecc., I've only studied the basics.

Have you found better resources? Do you have any book recommendation? I've read The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Jonny Bowden, but IMO it's still at surface level (btw it's a great book and gives valuable info). 

Thank you!

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

You say you want to lear in DETAILED way yet have no time to study which is already setting up a big boundary.  Depending on how deep you want to go it is helpful to understand the physiology first by obtaining a decent book of human anatomy. No need to learn every single muscle and bone just understand the differant organ systems and what they do, what enzymes they secrete etc. 

it may also useful to understand common disease associated with those systems and understand the mechanisms of these pathologies. But if you don't want to work with people then this can probably be skipped. 

To understand nutrition, you also need to understand some biochemistry as that is basically what eating healthy comes down to. Enzymatic reactions and breaking down food matter into simples forms of glucose, fatty acids and amino acids. Learning about what all the micro and micronutrients do, how they break down and affect our biochemistry is the fundamental part of nutrition yet details don't need to be learned if your goal is to "be healthy and eat healthy". 

PUBMED is the most legit source of medical studies however I'd not recommend that to be your starting point as the sheer amount and complexity of research papers will easily discourage you. rather start with basic books and if something is not clear enough, find a research paper to learn about deeper mechanisms. 

Hope that helps. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

13 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

No need to learn every single muscle and bone just understand the differant organ systems and what they do, what enzymes they secrete etc.

Learning about what all the micro and micronutrients do, how they break down and affect our biochemistry is the fundamental part of nutrition yet details don't need to be learned if your goal is to "be healthy and eat healthy". 

Yeah, I meant this when I wrote I'd like to learn in a detailed way, but not too deep. My bad, I was not clear.

15 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

But if you don't want to work with people then this can probably be skipped.

What do you mean?

rather start with basic books and if something is not clear enough, find a research paper to learn about deeper mechanisms.

In the meanwhile I found this: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/recommendations/2017/08/05/textbooks/

What do you think?

Thank you for your answer!

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

2 hours ago, Superfluo said:
2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

But if you don't want to work with people then this can probably be skipped.

What do you mean?

I mean such as becoming holistic therapist, nutritionist etc. Helping people recover from disease and get well. 

2 hours ago, Superfluo said:

In the meanwhile I found this: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/recommendations/2017/08/05/textbooks/

What do you think?

Looks good. Chris is an amazing source of nutritional knowledge. I am not familiar with those particular books but the ones for beginner are probably a good way to start depending on your budget of course. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

5 hours ago, Michael569 said:

I mean such as becoming holistic therapist, nutritionist etc. Helping people recover from disease and get well. 

No, I'm not planning that:D

Thank you!