Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Western Buddha

Too much theoretic info?

7 posts in this topic

I feel  like every day im trying to find solution to my problematic past in 100 different direction and for real im not really getting anywhere. do you think it will be useful to choose couple of techniques and just do them for couple of months without any additional research?

Yes, definitely.

There are phases in this work when you're doing lots of general research but not getting much tangible results. And there are phases where you're practicing a narrow set of techniques and seeing tangible results but not doing much research.

You can naturally cycle between these phases depending on what your life requires.

You'll need to dynamically balance between the two extremes.

Watching a bunch of my videos will fill your head will too much theory and not enough tangible results. And yet, that theory will serve you well in the future when you get stuck or lost.

Things tend to auto-correct themselves in the long-run. Too much theory should naturally drive you to crave results. And vice versa.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Things tend to auto-correct themselves in the long-run.

You want to learn to navigate your life more smoothly than auto correction which is not a very conscious process.

It helps to take conscious control of your life often.

Increasing consciousness and awareness helps.

Edited by CreamCat

Personally, i collected so much theory and world-views it's ridiculous. I am  very open minded and like to always expand, go beyond. But i realized it's just too much. I did a post asking leo about this months ago. I was trying to do practical advance stuff but i was depressed with no friends. Leo told me to go do some friends because spirituallity should not be done in a place of misery. I think he is right. 

If you do not have a fairly decent life when your basic needs are met and you feel ok with yourself (without being depressed and suicidal) , studying complicated material it's completely useless. 

You have to watch some old self improvement videos, or follow very little principles every day that bring you result. 

If you are like me, and love deep topics which also are complicated stuff, start a new hobby that requires you to think. 

For example, i started studying chess. It is perfect for me. It is very complicated, there are tons of ways of reaching the same goal, you can expand in 100 different ways and man, i just love it. 

So i train chess, so i can study something which involves theory, and when it comes to self improvement, i focus on basic actionable principles. 

This is just me tho. 

Yeah that is a very common problem which most people who really love to think deeply face.

I struggled with this myself, and I just stopped reading and researching PD for a month while I introduced a meditation habit and removing wheat from my diet. It made me realize the importance of ACTION.

Of course like Leo said it is all about balance, don't remove theory from your life entirely. Just take a little break.

Also +1 to what @arlin said, personally I used complex drumming exercises to satisfy my overthinking mind. Definitely try to find a hobby that you enjoy :).

Good luck!

7 hours ago, CreamCat said:

You want to learn to navigate your life more smoothly than auto correction which is not a very conscious process.

It helps to take conscious control of your life often.

Increasing consciousness and awareness helps.

that's not what he's implying though, he's saying that taking the actions necessary (such as meditation for example) will yield some sort of result in the future - Trying to navigate your life "consciously' can be distorted through the mind and become neurotic and unsustainable because you're always focused on the upcoming future; therefore an unconscious reactionary mode of life.

at least that's how i interpreted his statements.

I've found that the best way to handle large amounts of information is to connect to and listen to your gut feel. It's really the sum of all your thoughts and feelings, and will lead to the most holistic decisions. It will tell you whether you should study more or take action.

I am myself, heaven and hell.