daniel695

should i focus on changing beliefs?

19 posts in this topic

i bought a course that shows you how to change your beliefs should i focus on that? will that help me get a paradigm shift when i change enough beliefs? the reason i'm hesitant is because Leo says beliefs are surface level stuff something along those lines. i want to do it make the necessary changes....i catch myself of seeking external needs and wants to be recognized( wanting recognition). has anyone here changed enough beliefs and gotten a massive shift in perception and consciousness?

You definitely should!

'Beliefs' is how we human beings operate in the world. You can't not have beliefs, but you can change them. Your beliefs dictate the quality of your life. Don't underestimate the importance of beliefs, they work in the most sneaky of ways.

One of the best belief changers is direct experience. I think this creates a bridge for understanding what Leo talks about.

If you're asking about enlightenment, then you can post your questions in the other sub-forum so you can get more relevant answers.

Edited by Truth Addict

Definitely. Although I'm not sure about 'changing' beliefs as such... how about working your way of being free of beliefs altogether? 

As I can only speak from my own experience I'd say epistemology is one of the most fundamental and crucial topics of this 'work'. 

Just this one field can transform your life.

Good luck :)

i appreciate all the comments and will be working on deconstructing my beliefs. one belief im taking on is i make people comfortable...and im already seeing how it affects my behavior and other peoples.

whats one belief your conscious of positive or negative?

19 hours ago, Rigel said:

Recognize what they are

What are they?

5 hours ago, daniel695 said:

whats one belief your conscious of positive or negative?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

But I think you want me to give you a list of possible beliefs that are causing you to please people?

Here are some:

• I am not enough.
  • I don't smell good.
  • I don't look good enough.
  • I am less than others.
  • Others are better/smarter than me.
  • I can't be a leader.
  • That's how it is, and I have no say in the matter. I am born to be submissive.
  • I don't have enough power/knowledge to influence reality/others.
  • I am a very important person. This one is counter-intuitive, because it makes you super-critical of yourself as you think everyone is watching every single move you do or word you say.

Of course, you can mind-storm a lot more.

Also, research the 'Alpha Male Mindset', that'll give you a taste of how it feels to not be a people-pleaser.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I think I understand your question now. It's a survey kind of question, probably.

I'm currently struggling to remove some of the beliefs I have about females.

Edited by Truth Addict

No matter how much enlightened you become, beliefs will always persist in some degree or another. This is why I think shadow work can become also a very useful tool to change the beliefs of your inner fears, to change the general toxic beliefs of your ego (even though we're "nothing").  But the worldview belief, or the way we percieve reality cognitively is also fundamental to change imo, do you see the world around you dying or flourishing? Even the way you percieve "Truth": is it hopeless and life is meaningless or Truth is magickal and full of possibilities? Belief stands right there in the corner

5 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

What are they?

Beliefs are what they are 

Sailing on the ceiling 

Just now, Rigel said:

Beliefs are what they are 

What does that even mean?

Can you point to them?

5 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

What does that even mean?

Can you point to them?

An attempt of the mind to try and ground reality. 

How could I? As soon as I recognize what they are they are no longer held as beliefs. Before that I don't know that I hold them.

Sailing on the ceiling 

6 hours ago, Rigel said:

An attempt of the mind to try and ground reality.

Well then, what is the mind? Can you point to it?

12 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

Well then, what is the mind? Can you point to it?

It itself is believed. It is an idea, an assomption. Even that is false because it assumes that it is something other than what is - that is : an Idea.

I cannot point to it as I hold it as a gross abstraction of what is. In the same way that I can't stick out my finger and point to science, religion, politics, time, history, racisme and so on. I can put the boundary wherever I want and pretend like it holds up but it is still going to be a gross abstraction and highly dependant on my interpretations and projections. 

Sailing on the ceiling 

@Rigel

Yes, I agree, for the most part.

So, if we were to contrast ideas/abstractions with something else that we can point to, what would that thing be?

Edited by Truth Addict

@Truth Addict

Existence itself doesn't require ideas or abstraction. But then who is pointing what?

Existence is self-evident I guess?

Sailing on the ceiling 

@Rigel

So, existence is matter? Is existence exclusive to the senses?

Edited by Truth Addict

@Truth Addict

What is matter but an idea? We already discarded ideas. Same thing goes for the senses. Can you point to your senses?

Sailing on the ceiling 

@Rigel

That's not what I meant.

I meant that the distinction between concept and direct experience (what you probably are referring to as 'existence' and what you say is self-evident), is a materialistic distinction.

Edited by Truth Addict

7 hours ago, Rigel said:

@Truth Addict

What do you mean by "matter"?

This is not a word I came up with. I don't necessarily agree with how it's used.

In the classical sense, people use this word to create a virtual separation in the one, to make it look like two. The one is the thing that cannot be pointed to, and the two are so, since they are one as well. But let's say that matter means something that people can agree that they share the same experience of, as in tangible objective reality, compared to and contrasted with thought/concept/imagination. So, the former is related to the senses, and the latter is related to the "mind". You know, just classic materialism.

Edited by Truth Addict