7thLetter

Why is corn unhealthy for you?

9 posts in this topic

Just looking for a quick answer.

I remember Leo mentioned in his "How to shop for healthy food" video, saying that corn is on the list of foods to avoid. I don't remember what he said but if anyone could remind me that would be appreciated.

If I google it, mainly all I see are the health benefits of corn.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Most corn today is GMO(genetically modified) especially in US and western countries. If you can find heirloom corn like blue/purple, red and older strains of corn(multi-coloured) which are less likely to be GMO or know someone who grows regular yellow corn (organically) for decades then i don't see a problem but other then that, steer clear of gmos, it will mess with your DNA and significantly increase the chance for cancer and other diseases to emerge with GMO/Processed foods and systematically, chemically sprayed produce. Soy also is in the same situation which is why many avoid soy as well.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Corn is better than bacon or chips but there are other, much healthier foods out there. Corn is basically a lot of starch with a little fibre and some minimal nutrients. Also chemical treatment that @pluto mentioned is a huge issue. 

You can only fill so much food into your daily caloric bank so replacing corn with healthier alternatives is not a bad idea. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Charlotte My go-to is lentils, chickpeas, beans, and rice. Sometimes I eat it, but I have never really needed soy and I probably weigh more than you. (probably)

On 9/14/2019 at 10:06 AM, Charlotte said:

@pluto soy is like my go to for protein, should I really avoid? ?

Well it depends where your soy is sourced and how its grown. If its traditionally and organically grown heirloom strains for many years in a clean, pristine location then i don't see it being an issue but it may be hard to come by these days especially in the west as most Soy like Conventional(yellow) Corn are GMO.

You should always go by how you feel, no need to focus much on protein and specific nutrient intake. Nature is infinitely intelligent :)

You'd be surprised how little we need to thrive. A friend of mine only eats 2 - 3 large servings of fruits a day and she is healthy as a walnut and happy as a dolphin.

Your body knows best.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

On 9/12/2019 at 11:02 PM, pluto said:

Most corn today is GMO(genetically modified) especially in US and western countries. If you can find heirloom corn like blue/purple, red and older strains of corn(multi-coloured) which are less likely to be GMO or know someone who grows regular yellow corn (organically) for decades then i don't see a problem but other then that, steer clear of gmos, it will mess with your DNA and significantly increase the chance for cancer and other diseases to emerge with GMO/Processed foods and systematically, chemically sprayed produce. Soy also is in the same situation which is why many avoid soy as well.

@pluto But is this the reason that Leo mentioned about corn in the video? Because I’m sure he didn’t say soy was unhealthy just because its GMO. Aren’t all the other non-organic vegetables GMO as well?

I’ll probably watch the video again when I have the time.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

On 14/09/2019 at 1:06 AM, Charlotte said:

to soy is like my go to for protein, should I really avoid? ?

The current evidence on soy in forms of edamame, tofu, nato and miso is positive. It shows reduction in breast cancer, increase in bone density, reduction in PMS and overally improved quality of life. They are very good alternative for postemenopausal women who don't want to go for HRT.  This is because soy isoflavonoids are weak stimulants of oestrogen receptors and the stronger oestrogens cannot "dock in" while these are present. On the other hand, a soy concentrate (such as soy protein powder) will contain a massive amounts of these which is when a good things starts turning to not-so-good. 

So this is just personal opinion based on few papers I read on isoflavonoids but you are better of with a hemp / pea protein. All soy products are still cool but soy concentrates are not good imo. 

Also alwayas make sure all soy products you consume are organic :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Look at the work of Mark Hayneman, read his books UltraMind Solution and Food, What The Heack To eat...

Lots of insights there!