Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt23

B12 and vegetarianism?

7 posts in this topic

I've heard that B12 vitamins are important if one is doing a vegetarian diet.

Has anyone done a lot of research about this?

Is it valid?

What's been your experience?

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I do not eat meat and also supplement it with high doses. Since it does not occur in plant foods, it is definitely necessary to have no deficiency symptoms.

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

B12 is the result of becterial activity in the soil and given how we grow and clean our food you might want to take a supplement

Sailing on the ceiling 

Studies show those who eat meat and animal products are equally and sometimes more deficient because its a gut/circulation/absorption issue more than it is anything else. I suggest consuming organically grown food in rich soil especially root vegetables and mushrooms and seaweeds/sea vegetables and keeping strong herbs/spices like garlic, onion and anything high in mustard oil to a minimum as these are lethal to the gut flora when consumed daily and especially in their raw state.

In a healthy body, B12 circulates efficiently. Supplements are just to be on the safe side but you must remember there are thousands of small villages around the world that live purely plant based and never use a single supplement and thrive and live long healthy lives.

So it really depends It depends on where you live, how rich and healthy your soil, food and water supply is and what foods you consume. Fermented foods and fermented vegetables and yoghurt are also a good option.

Some plant foods rich in B12: Aloe vera, Root vegetables and Mushrooms(lightly washed), Shilajit, Moringa, Spirulina/Chlorella, Kelp/Nori and other Edible Seaweeds, Coconut water and Hemp seeds may also have traces. There are more but these are just at the top of my head.

Don't buy into the nonsense that we don't absorb B12 from plants. The meat, dairy and pharmaceutical industries fund those studies.

B12, Iron, Protein are distractions because there is no profit in healthy people.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@pluto 

3 hours ago, pluto said:

Don't buy into the nonsense that we absorb B12 from plants. The meat, dairy and pharmaceutical industries fund those studies.

Do you mean to say "Don't buy into the nonsense that we absorb B12 from meat?"  If not, why would the meat and dairy industries fund those studies since it would give people incentive to eat more plants, not meat or dairy?

Thanks for the info and opinions.  

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

@pluto 

Do you mean to say "Don't buy into the nonsense that we absorb B12 from meat?"  If not, why would the meat and dairy industries fund those studies since it would give people incentive to eat more plants, not meat or dairy?

Thanks for the info and opinions.  

Sorry i meant to say "don't absorb" in that sentence as in they try to mislead people saying "you can't absorb B12 from plant-based foods" blah blah blah..

I will fix now thanks :) and what a beautiful profile picture, what flower is that?

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Ah haha makes sense