Charlotte

Learning how to learn. Fundamental in my opinion. Great course.

18 posts in this topic

Scott H Young's courses are gold. Study less, learn more & Rapid Learner.

Eben Pagan has a great course with Wyatt Woodsmall called Learning something something.

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

Mastery is whole domain of mastery in itself! 

Sailing on the ceiling 

Learning is all about revision, whether be it be memorizing facts or learning a skill.

THE END.

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

3 hours ago, Ibn Sina said:

Learning is all about revision, whether be it be memorizing facts or learning a skill.

THE END.

Many people learned music on their hands & by head, many of them are not able to create anything pure and fresh without ripping off what has always been set for decades, because revision is not pure creation.

In certain domain, memorizing is just dull stupidity.

Especially in an internet era.

If you brain is like a computer, I've never seen a computer running with a memory loaded with tons of shit.

depend your aiming in life.

Are you there for fluidity and efficiency or for an heavy load, maybe more possibility but slowed down by the mess ?

it's all about your goal, that's why intelligence is such a tiny notion of what constitute a whole person.

Who is intelligent, in which domains ?

Surely my ego would say : footballer are negative IQ, but if IQ was measured on our practice of using our foots most people here could probably be considered brain dead. ( cause who is a football here ? leo ? ) ( I m just assuming he is not for this instance )

But if we talk about a technical part of the brain able to handle hard process abstraction ( thoughts ) and we point to that as "high intelligence" surely that's a little thing to considerate ( eventually )

I lost myself but I mean, it's hard to tell what "learning" is.

it's a process that need to be self handled with practice, something to work on and to contemplate for years.

What is the right thing to learn ?

what is a good practice ? that aswell is importants questions.

Edited by Aeris

15 hours ago, Aeris said:

Many people learned music on their hands & by head, many of them are not able to create anything pure and fresh without ripping off what has always been set for decades, because revision is not pure creation.

That doesn't count as learning. Learning means taking in an information from outside source. There is a difference between 'learning' music and 'creating' music. if you are creating music , then that doesn't mean you are 'learning' music. You are confusing the 2.

n certain domain, memorizing is just dull stupidity.

Especially in an internet era.

If you brain is like a computer, I've never seen a computer running with a memory loaded with tons of shit.

Are you there for fluidity and efficiency or for an heavy load, maybe more possibility but slowed down by the mess ?

You are basically confusing learning with creativity. Those are 2 different things. You should properly 'learn' their meanings because apparently you are confusing the 2. 
There is a difference between  'learner' of programming and a great programmer. A great learner is a sponge, a great programmer might have less knowledge, but he develops new ideas. Just because you have learned a lot doesn't mean you can come up with great ideas.

I lost myself but I mean, it's hard to tell what "learning" is

This is why you are confusing learning with creativity because you don't even know what learning is. Read the dictionary. 

Surely my ego would say : footballer are negative IQ, but if IQ was measured on our practice of using our foots most people here could probably be considered brain dead.

Howard Gardner has the theory of multiple intelligence. Footballer might be 'The bodily kinaesthetic' intelligence.
From a Medical/Physiological point of view, a footballer might have a well developed cerebellum , as it is the place for fine movements and motor learning. But also it's very complex. Because in football it's not just about practice, it's not enough to know how to shoot a ball or dribble, but intelligence is also key, specially when it comes to position play and manmarking, great passing, prediction, through ball (Think Andrea Pirlo) etc. I don't know much about football, but I can say that a great footballer will have very high level intelligence, not low intelligence. A football manager will need even more intelligence. 

Edited by Ibn Sina

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

@Ibn Sina learn how to drive a bike, a car an instrument and then tell me again how you did that with your memory, please step by step! it`s good to know how the schoolbus looks but you probably have to get on it to arrive at school.

Edited by remember

22 minutes ago, remember said:

learn how to drive a bike, a car an instrument and then tell me again how you did that with your memory, please step by step! it`s good to know how the schoolbus looks but you probably have to get on it to arrive at school

I didn't say every learning is like storing in cognitive memory (learning a bike is a kind of 'muscle memory', stored in cerebellum). I said ''revision' which when it comes to learning a bike(skill) is practicing over and over again. Don't misunderstand what I am saying.

I did write - "Learning is all about revision, whether be it be memorizing facts or learning a skill."

I just tried to condense all forms of learning into the word 'revision' but this word contains both motor and congnitive activities, my emphasis is on repetition. I should have wrote- repetition.

Basically I mean, revision/practice/repeatition etc.

In Physiology, I have already learned about the types of memory, classification of memory , the mechanism of formation of memory,  sensitization, potentiation, where the memory is stored, what changes in the brain happen in long term and short term memory. 

Edited by Ibn Sina

1 hour ago, Ibn Sina said:

I didn't say every learning is like storing in cognitive memory (learning a bike is a kind of 'muscle memory', stored in cerebellum). I said ''revision' which when it comes to learning a bike(skill) is practicing over and over again. Don't misunderstand what I am saying.

I did write - "Learning is all about revision, whether be it be memorizing facts or learning a skill."

I just tried to condense all forms of learning into the word 'revision' but this word contains both motor and congnitive activities, my emphasis is on repetition. I should have wrote- repetition.

Basically I mean, revision/practice/repeatition etc.

In Physiology, I have already learned about the types of memory, classification of memory , the mechanism of formation of memory,  sensitization, potentiation, where the memory is stored, what changes in the brain happen in long term and short term memory. 

revision repetition is a skill, it`s also a skill to not only memorize it - you are probably under pressure where you learn that but be aware that the theoretical knowledge doesn`t make you understand. the difference between skill and memory try to figure that out. sorry just came from a thread that was called mark my words. and the answer was not correct! if you would read it again you didn`t really answer to the question.

Edited by remember

32 minutes ago, remember said:

revision repetition is a skill

Is breathing a skill? Is puking a skill? Is jumping a skill?

Why do you think repeatition is a skill? It is not. All you have to do is, do it again.  That's it. Don't get confused. 

not only memorize it

What do you mean 'not only memorize?' I did talk about, learning how to ride a bike by practicing, learning conceptual stuffs by 'memorizing it' (includes both hands on practice, and memorizing cognitively). So what do you mean? What more is there?

If by 'not only memorize it' you mean, developing new ideas like Einstein not only learned physics but came up with his own theory, then 'coming up with ideas' doesn't count as 'learning'. It means he has the creativity, intuitive ability, to come up with new ideas. There is  no formula to be learned to create/manufacture great ideas. If there was, then it could be learned by people like you and you would be getting nobel prize. But such things do not happen.

t - you are probably under pressure where you learn

Pressure for what? No one is pressuring me to do anything. 

aware that the theoretical knowledge doesn`t make you understand. the difference between skill and memory try to figure that out.

Who said I had only theoritical knowledge to differentiate memory and skill? I have practical hands on knoweldge and it comes from me doing it, not reading from a book I am a skilled bike rider, I have also learned the skill of playing piano, I have learned many clinical skills like anterior rhinioscopy, posterior rhinoscopy, epigiotomy, Examination of optic nerve, olfactory, occulumotor, trochlear, trigeminal, abducens, facial, vestibulocochlear, glossopharyngeal, vagus, spinal accessory, hypoglossal, learned the skill of General examination like Inspection, palpation , percussion , auscultation, I have learned the skill of percussing the lungs, palpating the liver, spleen, I know the skill of finding  the anterior chamber depth of  the eye, I know the skill of Rinne test, Schwabach test, Absolute bone conduction test, Gille's test, Hemlich manuever, Valsalva manuever 
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

These are all skills which are learned by doing not reading a book. I have learned these skills by doing them on patients or friends.

This is not theoretical knowledge.

if you would read it again you didn`t really answer to the question

How did I not answer the question? You asked - is learning a bike from memory? 
I said it is a different kind of memory which is stored in cerebellum. It  is not theoritical knowledge, theoritical knowledge is stored in the cerebral cortex, premotor area with the help from hippocampus. Knowledge by doing is stored in cerebellum. That is what I answer but apparently you were not able to understand because of your lack of education and knowledge.

Edited by Ibn Sina

@Ibn Sina then how can you say 

22 hours ago, Ibn Sina said:

THE END.

it seems you already reached the end of learning.

do you know what starts at the end of learning?

Edited by remember

55 minutes ago, remember said:

it seems you already reached the end of learning

I have  not reached the end of learning.

I am a life long learner who has interest in Medicine, Physiology, Anatomy, Surgery, Gynecology, Obstretics, Pediatrics, Biochemistry , Pathology, Pharmacology, ENT, Opthalmology along with Politics, Philosophy, Spirituality, History, Chess, Music , Literature, Religion and Writing. 
I learn every single day, 10 hours or more.  I am a life long learner.

Can't you even understand the meaning of the things that I write?

then how can you say 

I said 'THE END', not 'end of learning'. You have misunderstood the meaning (which is not that hard to grasp) and you say 'how can you say' to something which I actually have not said. You should develop the practice of reading more and understanding correctly, if you always get  new meanings  instead of the one intended, then it will be troubling for you in many areas of your life. This is my prescription for your 'ailment'.

do you know what starts at the end of learning?

May be you want the stupid, cliched answer which is 'death' which was told by Benjamin Franklin (a founding father US who also studied the nature of electricity) in one of his cheezy quotes.
I thought of not answering this stupid question but I guessed you would reply with "You have  not answered my question" instead of the bigger issue going on here, I am playing by your rules. 

Edited by Ibn Sina