Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ampresus

Starting a meditation club in high school, help would suffice

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Mods, I have no clue in which sub-forum this fits in.

Recently I noticed that someone has started a debate club in school. ''Clubs'' aren't a thing in my school, so this came as a shock to me. Long before last year ended, I had the idea of starting a meditation club in high school.

Now I won't be joining the debate club for the simple reason that... well... debates. Creating my own club however would be actually great. I could promote it by saying stuff like ''are you also so stressed out because of school?'' and ''do you want to just, not be worried for a few minutes?''. I could recommend bringing comfy leggings.

I would start off by giving an explanation of the basics of meditation. Explaining them the Do-Nothing method and stuff like that. Then we could finally start. 10 minutes is what I intended to begin with. During the meditation, I would walk around and randomly tick on people's shoulders, telling them they are ''thinking too much, focus on your breath'' (considering I bet most of them have never done this before, I think we can all agree that they won't succeed for 2 seconds). I am still wondering if I should put on some ambient sounds during the meditation (maybe some type of trippy music, but I think that is too much for the first time).

Later, after I have ordered the Kriya yoga book and have started implementing that stuff in my own daily life, I could teach it to my club. I was also thinking about teaching shamanic breathing.

Remember: these are kids ranging from 12 years old to 18. I have no clue if this would be smart to do.

Your thoughts?

Meditation by itself would not be enough to make teens interested. 

Call it a Wellness Group instead and incorporate all kinds of wellness practices: cooking healthy meals, yoga/exercise, hiking trips, have discussions on mental disorders that young people face like depression, anxiety, anger, have guest speakers like psychologists come in and speak about wellness, ect.

So yea...diversify it and people would be more interested.

Meditation is awsome but its gonna be a bit boring if its the only thing you do...especially for young people.

I'd echo the post above me and agree that a more multi-faceted personal development club with some spiritual elements would be a better fit for your high school. Hardcore spiritual techniques of the type you're referring to are best done in solitude anyway.