Average Investor

Need help building a powerful routine

15 posts in this topic

I want to try to build a powerful daily routine. My life is too scattered. Sometimes working too many hours often. I want to set a good routine to build myself a more rounded day with self actualization work. I even took more time to introspect today and it has been great. 

My proposed schedule:

Wake up 6-6:30am (going to take a little work to get there again)

Get business stuff sorted ( A must before 9-10am ) Can cost 0-4 hours depending on day. Typically 30-45 minutes. Working on efficiency to drop times to a minimum. 

Meditate for 1 hour : I mediate in the bath tub typically. I've been on it for over 6 months and almost every day. Maybe you have another suggestion??

Shower:10-15 minutes

Prepare smoothie while working on computer for up to 2 hours. 

30 minute yoga session : I have tried one beginner yoga session on youtube. I really enjoyed it. Working on space to make this a habit. 

Have lunch. Usually pre-made soup. 

2 hours of solid business work. 

2 hours work out session. Bike rides or walking and jogging daily. Upper body work out daily. Sometimes with binural beats, mostly informational stuff, sometimes music. Always out in nature.

Eat dinner (45 minutes cook, prep, eat)

Read 30 minutes or a chapter. Sometimes the chapter takes me awhile lol. 

With all of this I assume I have expended roughly about 11 hours and 15 minutes. I aim for 8 hours of sleep. So this would leave me about 5 hours and 45 minutes. Now of course that is to assume I do it perfectly. But I can aim for something like that. I would need to cut out more distractions. Of course I have to do stuff to maintain the house and what not too.

What kinds of things would you guys recommend I use in the estimated time left over? I have thought about trying a journal. I even spent some extra time just today to just think about stuff instead of work tonight and it was totally worth it. 

What kind of tips do you have for maintaining a schedule? My biggest issue is really just wake up times I feel like. If I can get myself up early I completely crush the day usually. I struggle a bit with falling asleep. I think if I were to remove more work and pc time from night time I would be able to maintain it. 

I want to have a day every week I can not do most of this. Take it and go hiking, work on a car, tinker with audio stuff, play video games, travel a bit, etc. Just do something random. 

Edited by Average Investor

13 hours ago, Average Investor said:

What kind of tips do you have for maintaining a schedule?

Volume vs intensity 

Be subtle in your routine, do not do more than one new thing per week, too much intensity, you'll wear out. Too many things, you'll wear out.

Quality vs quantity

You can become good at many things, but you'll never truly master many.

These should be delicately balanced, you have to really decide where you want to be and set realistic expectations, which still have better outcomes than your current situation.

Really, I emphasize that there is no need to chase the highest quality of life possible at all times. It's exhausting and if you don't get used to tolerating your boredom. You'll be forced in to it either way in old age and life is only as complex as we see it, so if you start expecting that you need to become perfect at all of these things it will only hinder and reverse your progress. This is a deception too.

Your powerful routine, in my opinion could also include solitary meditation without music, since I assume you finding it challanging... because there are only binuraul beats sessions. Also, consistant socialization, since I don't see any room for you to develop your people skills. 

At a final stage, having a child or simply owning a high drive dog would definitely force you to use almost all of your potential, it's selfless and ultimately one of the highest forms of commitment. This is a serious decision, don't assume that a high drive dog will be easy, you'll be worn out every day but very fulfilled. You can't exercise the energy out of a high drive dog, you will hurt their joints or worse... Kill it, train him/her in a sport and first and foremost  become educated before anything. 

Basically what you can best hope for and "accomplish" is a more balanced life, it's exhausting sure... but you will remove inadequacies from their roots and become stronger this way. The answer will always be unattractive imo.

Accomplishments and strengths are always shaped by society as either a direct result as standing against society or conforming in to an indoctrinated idea of what a person should be. Think about it for a moment....

Edited by Deepconcepts

@Deepconcepts Thanks for your your advice and well put together response! 

I was mostly having the issue of working too much, but where I am with my business I should be able to work 6-8 hours a day and be able to reach the goals I want. At least for the time being.  I do have a strong work out routine and I have been working much more on volume. I have been working out for a year now. I guess kind of where I am going is to move out of constant work and a bit more personal development.  

I will give that a shot more with the meditation. I have been in a flow for it today for about 3 hours or so. Had a long drive, but did use the binural beat. 

I did hang out with some people today. I really only have one friend anymore these days and it isn't a super strong relationship, but I went and hung out with his friends and him for a car show today as it was a day I decided to blow of steam. I had followed them up to this place about an hour or so out. We ate there and were going to drive to park I thought. I lost them in the traffic. I figured they drove out on the beach and I just got out of my car and spent like an hour by myself just looking at the cars and stuff. They didn't actually notice until they had read the message asking if they went on the beach. I actually felt better just going and doing that myself. I told them it was fine and I really did consider where they may have went. I just really had no interest in searching for them since I did message him with no reply. 

I cut off two big circles of friends I had this year. I know over 500 people in my town as in I have their numbers in my phone and I could talk to some of these people. Just removed anyone who doesn't respect me, abuses drugs, lives a low quality life, etc. Not hard to remove people it seems. I mean even when I talked to those people today I told them I did not care about it. Even my cousin I told him I don't care if he makes time to talk with me, but I do value it when we do. But we didn't talk for like 4 months. I mostly talk to a member on this forum through messages and sometimes to another friend who is into this type of work over video games if I play them, but I will not play for month or so sometimes. I don't actually go meet these people. 

Really I talk to my mom, which probably isn't always the best idea. But I live with her and could not talk much for days if I am working. Just depends I suppose. I mean I see people while exercising and some business related stuff and I kind of flirt with girls a bit, but I just avoid them once they show too much interest. I have abundance in terms of options. So yeah, I don't know just not really something I feel I want at the moment. I do realize that these are pretty crucial pieces to happiness. I'm pretty happy usually though. 

I mean I have good people skills. People tend to like me. I'm an excellent salesman when needed too. I've just got to a point where I'm tired of people hurting me, so I just don't really care anymore to build a relationship with people. I've found it easier to just make money more and replace any time you may need someone. Like if you need a ride for some reason you can always pay someone. Or whatever. I'm aware to this issue. But I have to be honest I find a good sense of peace in it for the time being. 

When I was in my last business I would spend hours every days with people I became to know very well. And I have not talked to any of them anymore. I realize a lot of it was just survival based, but I have thousands of hours of experience with people. 

I do actually have a german shepard that can jog 6 miles straight with me if needed. It works out with me 3-4 days a week of 6 miles. Usually, 2 jogging and 4 walking right now. Just to get back into a high consistency without the intensity as I have already hit high intensity physically several times this summer. It wants to go more than it is right now, but I do not take it biking when I go for days in between. 

Perfection is not really a goal that is in mind. I just have the time and drive I feel like to attempt to add more. But I could try and lay off the time things as much and just do what I can and not stress it as much. I just feel I get sucked into a time loop if I don't focus on it as much. 

Majorly even just waking up again at the time desired would be mega impactful. I can do it. 

Yeah, it is weird how it all works. I find myself thinking of those ideals often. And analyzing others of what they are doing with them. It's a strange thing to think about.

I will try just one new thing when I am ready. Probably just the wake up time to get it solid for now.  

@Average Investor I read your entire reply, I hope you don't take my reply as too... short and half hearted 

"The universe has no questions and expects nothing of itself, it's been very successful that way" 

I'd love to tell you where I got it from, this is a very common, and probably over told thing... but I hope you really embody this quote and I think that's all there is. You will become whatever you want, whenever you want. 

Message me whenever, I'm glad to talk. As an equal too, I lack in certain aspects in life and would also appreciate your input. :)

Hi man.

Routines and productivity is good. You sound driven. I get the feeling from your posts you are running away from something though - i could be wrong of course, but that’s the feeling i get. 

@Deepconcepts Not the case at all lol. I write quite a bit and pretty fast, so size doesn't matter. Just content.

I think that's a good quote. Just kind of a go with the flow type idea I assume. I did actually wake up at 7:30 toay and got a couple hours of work done with a quick meditation. So it's been a great start of working on a good routine. I spent yesterday mostly just working on a bike and have been giving myself a bit of a break. I have a few big projects to work on. 

Yeah, if you like you can message me what you are working on. I'd love to hear. 

@studentofthegame Hey! I try to be, but sometimes it isn't always the case and it definitely hasn't always been. I am trying to get on the right track to moving into a bigger life purpose and being more independent. It's going to be a lot of work. 

I am sure I am in some way or another. I have been doing a bit of shadow work and good introspection on issues I may have, but it isn't always easy to spot them. Pessimism is one big thing I have been putting time into lately and it has been a big improvement to try and move past thinking that way and being more positive. I am reading authentic happiness and it has been helping with that. 

When I mentioned the friend stuff it's something I am working on. I'd like to have more higher spiral friends that are not just into drugs or drinking. My last relationship was kind of abusive and just pretty low quality. And I've grown up in abusive environments. So just where I am at I have low tolerance anymore for low quality people. I'm sure even at some point I will find an awesome girl that treats me good and some more awesome friends that treat me well too. 

You have 2 hours of workout, 1/2 hr yoga, 1/2 hour reading, 1 hour meditation, and still have 5.5 hours left? Or maybe I read it wrong.  Maybe add more reading and some wandering around outside in nature.  Volunteer a couple hours a week.

@SerpaeTetra I mean to be fair it isn't really going to account for things that come up. I don't feel like I have 5 hours left of the day at the end. Maybe 2 hours of computer time when I relax. The yoga and reading will be newer additions. I do read, but not as consistent as I would like.  But even then usually I just don't sit on the pc for that long. It depends how the day goes. Sometimes I just feel like doing 10 hours of work. So I want to set some limits and try and focus on good quality hours of work. I am working on making this into my day. But a good chunk of these habit I already do. 

I would just concentrate on either the reading or yoga for 1 month.    Do it at roughly the same time each day(ex. after lunch or dinner), and try to give yourself a small reward after you finish.  You can miss a day or so, but not much more than that to make it a true habit.  You can still do the other activity, but don't make it a priority. If you want to be able to have a good routine for the rest of your life, take it slow and do it the right way.  If you push yourself too hard, you will probably fail like most other humans do.  Change is hard, so you have do it the right way.

@SerpaeTetra Yeah, you're right for sure. I am just going to focus on being up early right now. Only 1pm and today has been quite productive. 

15 hours ago, Average Investor said:

@oMarcos To show successful days or what on it? Or just like a list of the schedule? 

@Average InvestorI said calendar, but I wanted to say Schedule. Make one for the 7 days of the week,  and in each day you write things you need to do, like "monday  meditation,tuesday studying, sundays check emails" etc.

I made one for myself, and sometimes I try to hijack the routine but I realize it and stick to the plan once again, it takes some discipline. ..

Just make sure you write the  most relevant things you really need to do to boost yourself up, if there is something irrelevant  but important  that you are wasting to much time on (like watching movies ) write "saturday movies" or  "sundays check Facebook feed" and you make sure that you only waste time on that specifc thing on the day you selected

Edited by oMarcos

@oMarcos I see what you mean! I kind of try to go with the flow and just build a routine from doing a thing so much right now. I have an F it day where anything goes in terms of time stuff, but I usually still work out at least. Sometimes I could go on video games in the week, but I am going to limit it to once a week I think. I usually don't have time for the video games anyway. 

You should try the app taskful that helps me quite a bit. I am a bit more scattered and sometimes I just go on there and see what task I feel like doing. 

Edited by Average Investor