Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sage_Elias

How to overcome insecurities about our body image ?

6 posts in this topic

Been struggling with this for a while. I'm a tall and skinny guy. Also I dont have much motivation to workout and do a full body transformation.

Any advise? Any book recommendations?

You don't look like the kind of guy who should be insecure about his looks. 

And when you get to be 30 plus it is a huge advantage to be naturally skinny guy, because you won't get fat easily. 

Also it will be easy for you to look ripped because of low body fat. 

Plus you have less danger of diseases you tend to get when overweight like diabetes etc. 

At 35 I would love to be a talk naturally skinny guy. 

Plus you got a handsome face. 

Count your blessings bro. 

BTW most people have little motivation to start working out when they are not in the habit. 

What you do is you just go to the gym 3 times a week for 30 minutes and you just play around with the weights. 

When you do that consistently it will get easier and you will slowly start to do more and more. And then you might get bitten by the workout bug and get that motivation. That's how it goes for a lot of people. 

If there’s some sport you enjoy doing, I would pick that up as a habit.

However, these thing are usually more deeply rooted and when our body starts looking better we often find another reason to not accept ourselves.

That’s why I suggest working on the insecurities through therapy, meditation and self-inquiry. Welcome the sensations that arise when you see your body, when you think about it, when you compare it, when someone makes a comment related to body image. Whenever this insecurity gets triggered it’s a good opportunity to do this “exercise”. Practice sending love to the part of you that rejects your body image (it is there for a reason) and after that send love to your body.

This may feel forced at first and the part that rejects your body will probably get triggered and dismiss that love. So if this happens, get to know this part better and ask how it may actually have protected you. Keep doing it, it will take time and commitment. 

Ultimately, through self inquiry you can explore experientally who is the I that doesn’t like my body? 

And don’t forget that it’s normal to feel how you do in a neurotic society. We all have insecurities.

Good luck! 

I love tall, skinny guys 

Maybe contemplate why you feel being tall and skinny is a bad thing

...But what if the opposite is true?