Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shibazz

Considering Vipassana Retreat

5 posts in this topic

I feel scared of ten days of blistering silence and have doubts that it will lead to any lasting meaningful shift. Have you done one? Any advice for someone considering it? Is it Jedi approved?

meditation-level-goatawan_o_1550497.jpg

I just recently completed one back in July. I'd say its worth it if you care about increasing your mindfulness/concentration ability. I honestly didn't get that much insight out of it, but maybe it's because I already have an intensive practice at home. You probably need to do multiple retreats to get any significant change and lasting insights out of it.

My personal recommendation is to rent an Airbnb right after your 10 day retreat and do a psychedelic. That is what me and my friend did. We tripped on 30mg 4-Aco-dmt and were absolutely mind-blown. Doing it right after the retreat definitely exacerbated the trip. I hit levels of consciousness that I didn't think were possibly and have never reached before.

Edited by onacloudynight

Thanks Cloudy! That does sound incredible. I'd prefer to be guided through the psychedelics by experienced people, but sounds awesome.

Looking into the retreat further I can see that having certain expectations of what you get out of it isn't the right approach. I mean its 100 hours of meditation, Vipassana instruction and complete abstaining from all addictions and stimulation for 10 days. So, the value and purpose is clear. Man, it sounds scary but I want to do it. The fine line between excitement and fear.

Don't be scared. It's easier than it sounds. There's a lot of collective support and supportive atmosphere and energy. Newbies who have no meditation experience are able to go through it. 

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

If you are physically and mentally normal, and can sit 1 hour meditating - go for it. 

It's amazing experience, but don't have high expectations. 

I had an insight related to my past behavior on my Vipassana retreat. How evilly I behaved. It helped me to fix something. 

But if we are talking about open-mindedness and mystical experiences, 1 tab of LSD was more beneficial to me than 10 days of Vipassana. And more challenging :)

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x