LucyKid

Stuck on contemplating upon Meaning

18 posts in this topic

Everyday I contemplate upon what is meaning for 50-60 minutes. It seems that I am getting no where. I've done 5 days already.
I am always asking the same questions, reaching practically the same answers.
"Who decides what is meaningful?", "Is life meaningful?", "Is meaning a projection of the mind?", the same questions.
Yesterday I asked the question "Is the path meaningful or just the result?", am I even asking the right questions? Feels like I got mistaken by what "meaning" points to.. 

@LucyKid Those are really good questions about understanding meaning conceptually. What really helped me go deeper is Leo's Actuality video.

Just forget everything and become ACTUAL;

What is meaning Actually?

Do you find any meaning in anything when you're Actual?

Also I find other concepts like purpose and symbols combine with meaning when I question it at some point.

So you're asking "what is meaningful, in relation to me?"
Well,who are you?  Find out what that is, and you will find the answer.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

@LucyKid during your contemplations - not so much thinking (some is needed to get your mind focused), more staying quiet and trying to experience meaning. No answer will ever satisfy you. Go for the experience of meaning.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

9 hours ago, Pouya said:

@LucyKid Those are really good questions about understanding meaning conceptually. What really helped me go deeper is Leo's Actuality video.

Just forget everything and become ACTUAL;

What is meaning Actually?

Do you find any meaning in anything when you're Actual?

Also I find other concepts like purpose and symbols combine with meaning when I question it at some point.

I am trying to be actual, and to experience. How do you experience it? by trying to see what's meaningful to me?
I am doing a short list every time. My dog, knowledge, consciousness, and things that I highly value and are 'meaningful' to me.
I watched leo's video, a few days ago. Since then I had started watching my hand while meditating lol, or more precisely observing 'it'.

9 hours ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

So you're asking "what is meaningful, in relation to me?"
Well,who are you?  Find out what that is, and you will find the answer.

Yes.. I've tried to ask the question is meaningful is subjective, and I had come to the conclusion that it is, and that it the ego's projection, ego's made up story about something that makes it "valuable", "important", "meaningful"..

8 hours ago, okulele said:

@LucyKid during your contemplations - not so much thinking (some is needed to get your mind focused), more staying quiet and trying to experience meaning. No answer will ever satisfy you. Go for the experience of meaning.

How do I experience meaning..? That's tough. lol. 

10 hours ago, LucyKid said:

Everyday I contemplate upon what is meaning for 50-60 minutes. It seems that I am getting no where. I've done 5 days already.
"Who decides what is meaningful?", "Is life meaningful?", "Is meaning a projection of the mind?", the same questions.
Yesterday I asked the question "Is the path meaningful or just the result?", am I even asking the right questions? Feels like I got mistaken by what "meaning" points to.. 

Meaning is your creation. Create whatever you want/need.

2 hours ago, LucyKid said:

How do I experience meaning..? That's tough. lol. 

It's not so tough, it's just unthinkable. What you want to get is what meaning is. What are you pointing to in your experience when you say meaning? There's gotta be something. I know I might not be making much sense, take it as a riddle. Find out!

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

12 hours ago, LucyKid said:

@LucyKid Some people think that if meaning is not objective, there is no meaning. 

Only consciousness can attribute meaning or value to something. Consciousness is pure subjectivity, therefore "objective meaning" is an oxymoron.

What is meaning and value? Whatever YOU decide it is. Do not underestimate this power. It makes sense if you remember that ultimately, you are God. 

Edited by Matt8800

13 hours ago, LucyKid said:

Hi LucyKid, this is perhaps a simplistic answer but let me try to rewind and summarise. You've been contemplating on 'meaning' for some time, and have got a consistent set of answers to your questions. But for some reason you aren't satisfied with your answers, and are also doubting your questions. The missing link seems to be why you aren't happy with your answers. Can you reflect upon your contemplations to find out what's gone wrong?  Does that seem more fruitful than me simply giving you my answers?

Nick.

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!

Meaning - it's what I create/imagine in order to prevent the realization that I am nothing.

17 hours ago, LucyKid said:

Yesterday I asked the question "Is the path meaningful or just the result?"

Each of these questions assumes there is a thing called "meaning".

Imagine not assuming that. If there was absence of meaning, how might your questions be answered? Would the questions even make sense?

From this perspective, "absence of meaning" does not mean "no meaning". Saying there is "no meaning" in life is giving meaning. No meaning is an add-on. . . .For example, all of your life there has been an absence of afnolidge. You have never debated afnolidge or no afnolidge. There was an absence of afnolidge. Similarly, what if there was an absence of meaning? (I am not saying this is ultimately True - its is another approach that may open a door to expansion beyond relative meaning). 

19 hours ago, LucyKid said:

How do you experience it? by trying to see what's meaningful to me?

In order to see what meaning really is you need to see beyond "me".

What's meaningful to you is relative. Instead ask: What IS meaning? What is its essence? When you are really ACTUAL, the thought of "me" vanishes and pure reality remains. That's where you can find what IS meaning.

Basically fully empty your mind from all ideas and start from 0.

21 hours ago, okulele said:

It's not so tough, it's just unthinkable. What you want to get is what meaning is. What are you pointing to in your experience when you say meaning? There's gotta be something. I know I might not be making much sense, take it as a riddle. Find out!

20 hours ago, Matt8800 said:

@LucyKid Some people think that if meaning is not objective, there is no meaning. 

Only consciousness can attribute meaning or value to something. Consciousness is pure subjectivity, therefore "objective meaning" is an oxymoron.

What is meaning and value? Whatever YOU decide it is. Do not underestimate this power. It makes sense if you remember that ultimately, you are God. 

16 hours ago, dorg said:

Meaning - it's what I create/imagine in order to prevent the realization that I am nothing.

15 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Each of these questions assumes there is a thing called "meaning".

Imagine not assuming that. If there was absence of meaning, how might your questions be answered? Would the questions even make sense?

From this perspective, "absence of meaning" does not mean "no meaning". Saying there is "no meaning" in life is giving meaning. No meaning is an add-on. . . .For example, all of your life there has been an absence of afnolidge. You have never debated afnolidge or no afnolidge. There was an absence of afnolidge. Similarly, what if there was an absence of meaning? (I am not saying this is ultimately True - its is another approach that may open a door to expansion beyond relative meaning). 

4 hours ago, Pouya said:

In order to see what meaning really is you need to see beyond "me".

What's meaningful to you is relative. Instead ask: What IS meaning? What is its essence? When you are really ACTUAL, the thought of "me" vanishes and pure reality remains. That's where you can find what IS meaning.

Basically fully empty your mind from all ideas and start from 0.

Guys, yesterday I tried to contemplate again upon what is meaning, through direct experience. I was very still, I sat on my chair with music, and I tried to look around, just to be. To feel, to observe. I didn't find any meaning, it felt as if "meaning" is just a concept, and that it doesn't really exist.
After a few minutes, a new feeling of "everything is meaning" hit me, and that "Just the fact that I am alive is the most meaningful thing there is", but I barely wrote even one page.. I'm trying to be present, it seems like I am getting nowhere.

I am not giving up or complaining or anything, I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if I'm doing it right(?). 
Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is literally the first week ever that I had tried to contemplate? Never done this stuff before. 
I am trying to be actual, to be aware and conscious, that's what I did yesterday. I will do it today again, for an hour, hopefully I'll see some results. 

Edited by LucyKid

@LucyKid Great job there, it's a bit wierd in the first but contemplation is a solid practice ;)

Guys, yesterday I tried to contemplate again upon what is meaning, through direct experience. I was very still, I sat on my chair with music, and I tried to look around, just to be. To feel, to observe. I didn't find any meaning, it felt as if "meaning" is just a concept, and that it doesn't really exist.

Sounds like a breakthrough.

The concept of meaning exists as a concept of meaning. And those concepts are happening Now.

After a few minutes, a new feeling of "everything is meaning" hit me

Sounds like a deeper breakthrough.

Everything is meaning = Nothing is meaning. It is a deep nondual realization.

and that "Just the fact that I am alive is the most meaningful thing there is",

Seems like thought stories are now arising. The mind loves to create thought stories. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware of what is happening Now.

I'm trying to be present, it seems like I am getting nowhere.

This is the next breakthrough. Welcome home to nowhere. It may feel groundless and destabilizing at first, yet it is also very liberating.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if I'm doing it right(?). 

Seems like you are creating a story that there is a "right" and "wrong". That there is some thing or some place called "right" and another thing or place called "wrong". Yet that thing or place doesn't ultimately exist. You are looking for a somewhere in nowhere. That is the source of desire and frustration - trying to get to a somewhere that doesn't exist. What IS is Now. 

Once this is revealed, a new relationship with Reality arises and we can see from a place of clarity how constructs such as "meaning", "experience", "past" and "future" are created.

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

Sounds like a breakthrough.

The concept of meaning exists as a concept of meaning. And those concepts are happening Now.

Sounds like a deeper breakthrough.

Everything is meaning = Nothing is meaning. It is a deep nondual realization.

Seems like thought stories are now arising. The mind loves to create thought stories. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware of what is happening Now.

This is the next breakthrough. Welcome home to nowhere. It may feel groundless and destabilizing at first, yet it is also very liberating.

Seems like you are creating a story that there is a "right" and "wrong". That there is some thing or some place called "right" and another thing or place called "wrong". Yet that thing or place doesn't ultimately exist. You are looking for a somewhere in nowhere. That is the source of desire and frustration - trying to get to a somewhere that doesn't exist. What IS is Now. 

Once this is revealed, a new relationship with Reality arises and we can see from a place of clarity how constructs such as "meaning", "experience", "past" and "future" are created.

Thank you so much bro! I am going to contemplate now for an hour. I'll be as ACTUAL as possible. Thanks a lot! 

On 9/5/2019 at 0:39 AM, LucyKid said:

What’s your goal in all this?  That may better help in guiding you.  What are you waiting to happen with all this stuff. 

Edited by Mu_

9 hours ago, Mu_ said:

What’s your goal in all this?  That may better help in guiding you.  What are you waiting to happen with all this stuff. 

My goal is to learn, and to become wiser, more conscious. I also see this as a really beneficial skill to life itself, to know to contemplate about things, learn different perspectives. Contemplating since like a creativity workout, a really deep investigation of things and complete elimination of dogma.

What am I waiting for? Honestly, nothing, but I want to see results. What kind of results? I don't even know myself, perhaps filling pages and pages of direct experience and insights?