Raptorsin7

How Stable is No-Self?

33 posts in this topic

For those who have successfully woken up to the truth of no-self through self-inquiry or some other form, is the realization stable whenever you look for it or does it need to be consistently cultivated over time. How will I know when I've broken through or if I am just tricking myself into believing I've achieved something when that's not it.

Needs to be constantly cultivated like you said. There are many levels to this realization and it takes time to integrate into your life. Just because you have that realization in theory or can't find yourself in inquiry conceptually, doesn't mean bad habits will automatically disappear and you will instantly achieve the life you want

I recommend reading "the Unfindable Inquiry" or "living realization" by scott kiloby. They are great, easy to understand, and cheap books you can buy on amazon. Theres lots of practical self-inquiry practices and explains non-duality really well. 

Edited by TrynaBeTurquoise

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

@Raptorsin7 what do you mean by the word no-self pls clarify - are you referring to the sense of i.some say it vanishes some say it doesnt what is your experience ?

Edited by Jkris

It's extremely stable and needs nothing to be maintained. 

But in some rare cases, it can go away with traumatic stress, brain injury, illness or without any particular reason

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

There's no no-self.

There is the [self vs. no-self] paradox, a pendulum that goes back and forth all the time. You either follow its movement, or you stay stuck, then either suffer or die, any of which will ultimately lead to the same conclusion as well, i.e. the other side of the pendulum.

There seem to be two schools of thought here:

1- The realization happens once and there's no going back to being unenlightened (there are obviously different degrees of enlightenment but once you see it, you can't unsee it).

2- The realization is gradual. You can become enlightened and then the realization fades away. It takes a couple of non-dual experiences for the mind to settle into that state of consciousness.

I am not enlightened so I cannot tell you which one is correct. From my research, it seems improbable to have an enlightenment experience fade away. But Leo and many other teachers say otherwise - go figure.

Let's do one thing. You go become enlightened, come back and tell us what happened :).

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

As Albert Einstein said, "The I-self is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one".xD

@cetus56 Meaning the sense of I is realised as an illusion like body but doesnt vanish ?

But if that doesnt vanish how oneness can be realised ????

Pls clarify ???

9 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

is the realization stable whenever you look for it

I think that's a good way to to put it.  The "looking for it" may seem arduous in the beginning. For many years, I traveled all over the country and world looking for it. Now the "looking for it" is much closer and accessible. It's more like a "checking in on it" or "remembering it". It can be found quicker than my misplaced keys. 

6 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I think that's a good way to to put it.  The "looking for it" may seem arduous in the beginning. For many years, I traveled all over the country and world looking for it. Now the "looking for it" is much closer and accessible. It's more like a "checking in on it" or "remembering it". It can be found quicker than my misplaced keys. 

I agree. It can happen with just a shift in awareness. Suddenly the peripheral field of vision is included in awareness in certain ways. We lose startle response.

That is if we're referring to Witness Consciousness.

if someone assaults me, chances are I contract back into ego/personality. 

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

God, holy Spirit and master.

The trinity.

God created the holy Spirit and the master.

Out of the holy Spirit God created soul.

Anything and everything is one form or another of the holy Spirit.

In this world one of the forms r atoms and molecules particles protons neutrons electrons quarks.

All consciousness resides in Soul

In this world a mind is needed to communicate between soul and this world.

An enlightened person is in communication with his soul conscience but still requires a mind to run the body.

and unenlightened person is totally dependent on the mind and can catch glimpses of soul conscience.

a totally enlightened person can never return to the dependent use of the mind only for communicating with soul because he is now with soul conscience as his main awareness unit.

A truly enlightened person has sort of like 2 consciousness simultaneously, the mind staying in the background running things like his body and communicating with this world with his eyes ears nose and mouth and the dominant one the soul conscience that's in control of everything as far as his who he is now.

God created the holy Spirit and out of the holy Spirit he created soul.

The holy spirit is everything along with God and you can be everything but you can never be God all you can experience is everything that can be created out of the holy Spirit which is everything that is created.

Edited by Lowerplanedweller

@Lowerplanedweller Thank you for posting this.

What you call Holy Spirit, Leo seems to call God.
It is easy to confuse the soul with the Holy Spirit.
The passing-through between them is insight.
He has never mentioned the Mystery before (you call it God).

What is the role of the Master?

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

1 hour ago, Jkris said:

Pls clarify

@Jkris It was said as a play on words on Einstein's famous quote "Time is a persistent illusion".  Likewise the sense of self may or may not be a "persistent illusion". 

The master is God's chief executive officer one of his duties is to bring unenlightened souls to enlightenment... master has many duties but that is one of them....

Trying to communicate this concept to the people of his day Jesus said

I can do nothing of my own it is only through the father

Edited by Lowerplanedweller

The Master is the true self 

in Almaas's writing in his Inquiry book Spacecruicer  

Giving the reaching about thr automatic positive thrusts whith will Manifrest, Almaas referred to this as the holy sorirt!i don't know anything about chief exexutives. I'm ok either way

4 minutes ago, Lowerplanedweller said:

There is only one master,

You are soul, a individual particle a awareness unit

@Zigzag Idiot This is in accordance with what Meditations on Tarot teach.
Master is not merely a metaphor. I can't reconcile this. Not with existence of other religions.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@Lowerplanedweller

Just now, Lowerplanedweller said:

There is only one master,

You are soul, a individual particle a awareness unit

You are identical to God. That very same Awareness. 

No SELF is permanent eternal state. 

41 minutes ago, Lowerplanedweller said:

In this world a mind is needed to communicate between soul and this world.

An enlightened person is in communication with his soul conscience but still requires a mind to run the body.

I'm barely hrer 

my light is flickerinh