Marks199

Loneliness is a serious public-health problem (How is loneliness curative)

11 posts in this topic

The lonely are not just sadder; they are unhealthier and die younger. What can be done? 

LONDON, says Tony Dennis, a 62-year-old security guard, is a city of “sociable loners”. Residents want to get to know each other but have few ways to do so. Tonight, however, is different. Mr. Dennis and a few dozen other locals are jousting at a monthly quiz put on by the Cares Family, a charity dedicated to curbing loneliness.

The competitors are a deliberate mix of older residents and young professionals new to the area. “Young people are increasingly feeling disconnected too,” argues Alex Smith, the charity’s 35-year-old founder. He hopes that nights like this will foster a sense of belonging. 

Taken from the economist.

True. Humans are naturally social and not doing so can have big implications.

Babies need love and nurture if they want to develop a healthy mind and psyche. Saying adults do not is just illogical. But obviously there are some people that are more social than others.

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

We need connection with others like water and air but that can be transcended as Leo said in his video about loneliness. But I think very few people are ready for that.

@Marks199 Lost in translation. The video title means something like "Awareness is enough". It's not about loneliness.

Still, I once read in a Buddhist book the following words: "Alone in the woods, a man can solve any of his problems".

unborn Truth

I might be in the minority but I'd love to have more alone time. I wish I could hand over a lot of people in my life to someone who needs them more than me. 

there is probably a difference in selfinduced and world induced loneliness - especially in old people or children it`s oftentime something that is not selfinduced but society made.

there are models of adopting a granny or grandpa - you could make dinner where you invite random people you met from different backgrounds just throwing them together. go to a meetup. just share your smiles and help on the streets. loneliness is not always self induced oftentimes people who suffer under selfinduced loneliness overcome it by getting in contact with people who suffer world induced loneliness. on a deeper level of course all lonelyness is in a sense world induced and selfinduced.

Edited by remember

Didn't Leo say that to get rid of loneliness, you have to go into it deeper.

Like a solo retreat or something?

Great for introverts, not so great for extroverts...

@RawJudah yeah thats why I am asking if its so good to be alone. Well in my case which I am in  a limbo mode(stage) I am alone at the moment. Just one stage takes too much sometimes I worry about that, I am still paralized but calmer, I think solitude helped me that's why I am asking. And it takes a lot of time it worrys me.

@Marks199 I think it’s important to have people around you who you care about and who care about you, but you have to get over the deep loneliness and realise that you are alone, always have been and always will be. But that takes a lot of work to get to. Relying on people isn’t all it’s cracked up to be because if they go, your screwed. That’s why it’s important to face it head on. But connect with people more, it’s great for the soul. Just try not to rely on them to be there 24/7. It’s needy and unhealthy. 

@RawJudah Well it's not that's impossible for me to be with people. It's just I don't move and act as I want and sometimes I am just paralyzed but in a way, this loneliness has cured me a lot from neediness. I am calmer just I don't know if its good to be so much alone(if it's healthy). And until when I am going to move as this spirit that I have wants it's just to hard to describe it to you I don't make the moves I want something else is making for me and I don't know until when its gonna control me. I think it's teaching me the lessons I had to learn not to make the same mistake again. I'm in stage limbo.