Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preety_India

Gardnerian shadows

7 posts in this topic

used was fresh beeswax taken by Morven from the hive at mid-day. She had proven
herself extremely skilful in the handling of bees, which she feared not at all. The
creatures seemed to like her.
Holding the wax in his right hand, Thur invoked: "Exabor, Hetabor, Sittacibor
Adonai, Onxo, Zomen, Menor, Asmodiel, Ascobai, Conamas, Papuendos, Osiandos,
Spiacent, Damnath, Eneres, Golades, Telantes, Cophi, Zades! Angels of God be present,
for I invoke ye in my work so that through you it may find virtue. Amen. "
He paused and then exorcised it as follows: "I exorcise thee, O creature of wax,
that, through the holy name of God and his holy angels, thou receive blessing, so that
thou mayst be sanctified and blessed to obtain the virtue which we desire, through the
most holy name, Adonai. Amen. "
So praying, he sprinkled and censed the wax and wrapped it in the white linen
cloth. In a like manner he consecrated strong acid, to be used for engraving upon the
tempered steel of the sword. When this was done and set aside in readiness, Morven took
from the table an ink-horn made of baked earth in the hour and day of Mercury, and gave
it to Thur. With the burin he carved round the base in Hebrew characters these sacred
names. Yod He Vau He, Matatron, lah, lah, lah, Qadosch, Elohim, Zabaoth. Filling it
with ink he exorcised it thus: "I exorcise thee, O creature of ink, by Anaireton, by
Simoulator, and by the name Adonai, by virtue of him through whom all things are made,
that thou be unto me an aid and succour in all things which I wish to perform by Chine
aid." This he sprinkled and censed and laid up with the wax.
Work for that night was over. They cleared away all traces of their occupation and
went to bed.
There now remained the great event, the. creating of the magic sword. This was
an ordinary blade in common use as a small-arm, and he had bought it in London. When
in despair of ever being able to help the Bonders, he had formed the desperate design of
obtaining guidance, through Olaf, as was shown in the opening chapter. That attempt was
more in the nature ofa spiritualistic seance than a true exercise in art magic. Olaf had
proven a good medium through which the needed guidance came. The command he had
received, 'Seek ye the Witch of Wanda, had provided him with the athame and the
white-handled knife, the means to the ends they desired.
The purchase of each article separately constituted no danger, it was the articles in
the aggregate which made the menace. Any knowledgable person, viewing them as a
whole, would know immediately for what purpose they would be used. Rumour had it
that my lord abbot was
98-

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

nterested (in his holy way) in the art. What was known in the town was known almost as
quickly at the abbey, and any gossiping brother could put the abbot on his track. Thur was
convinced that he night as well transcribe his circle, recite his psalms, invoke his angels
and exorcise his instruments in the open market at mid-day as buy the necessary articles
in his own home town, so he had gone to London for them.
He was thinking of these past difficulties as they prepared the triple circle in the
hour and the day of Mercury for the making of the magic sword. Bathed and perfumed in
symbolic accord with the nature of this weapon, both Thur and Morven were as naked as
the drawn sword. After the psalms had been recited Thur took up the cleaned and
polished sword, and with the burin he engraved the name of power Elohim Gibur on the
hilt. In the heat of the brazier he mellowed the consecrated wax, smoothed it upon the
blade and wrote thereon with the burin, Yod He Vau He, Adonai, Eheieh, Yauai. He turned
the blade, smoothed the hither side with wax and inscribed Elohim Gibur. All these
characters were written in Hebrew. Then, using the acid they had formerly consecrated,
he engraved all these characters deep into the tempered blade.
When this labour was done he turned to Morven. She, holding her athame in her
right hand, brought the point down upon the sword's blade and held it there to
communicate increased power, while Thur cried in a strong voice: "I conjure thee, O
sword, by the names Abrahach, Abroath, Abracadabra, Yod He Vau He, that thou serve
me for a strength and a defence in all my magical operations against all my enemies,
visible and invisible. I conjure thee anew by the name Shaderai Almighty, and by the
names Qadosch, Qadosch, Qadosch, Adonai, Elohim, Tzabaoth, Emanuel, Azoth.
Wisdom, Way, Life, Truth, Chief, Speech, Word, Splendour, Light, Sun, Glory, Virtue. By
these names and by the other names, I conjure thee, O sword, that thou servest me for a
protection in all adversities. Amen."
Thur sprinkled it with consecrated water and Morven ceased it. Again Thur spoke
a conjuration: "I conjure thee, O sword of steel, by God almighty, by the virtues of the
heavens, of the stars, of the angels who preside over them, that thou receivest such virtue
that thou mayst obtain without deceit the end that I desire in all things wherein I shall use
thee, through God, the creator of the ages, and emperor of the angels. Amen."
Morven perfumed it with the perfume of art and Thur recited: "By virtue of Dani,
Zumech, Agalmaturod, Gadiel, Pani, Caneloas, Merod, Gamedoi, Baldoi, Metrator,
angels most holy, be present for a guard to this sword."

He wrapped it in clean linen and laid it aside, and they followed with the
consecration of the sickle.
Lights were needed for the great circle, and since nothing might be used which
was unconsecrated, Morven had made a number of wax candles in the hour and day of
Mercury in the waxing moon, each weighing eight ounces. The wicks, required to be
made by hand by a young maid, were her work. For this consecration of light there were
three new psalms. The first, CLI; of which the beginning is:
Praise ye the Lord,
Praise God in his sanctuary.
Praise him in the firmament of his power.
and the last verse:
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord.
Praise ye the Lord.
Then Psalm Clll and Psalm CVIII with its ending:
Whoso is wise will observe these things,
Even they shall understand the loving kindness of the Lord.
Thur then took the burin and on each candle he engraved signs, praying as he did
so: "O Lord God who governest all things by thy mighty power, give unto me, a poor
sinner, understanding and knowledge to do only that which is agreeable to thee. Grant me
power to fear, adore, love, praise and give thanks unto thee with true and sincere faith and
perfect charity. Grant, O Lord, that before I die and descend into the purgatory below that
thy grace may not leave me, O Lord of my soul. Amen. "
Then he said: "O creature which is wax, by virtue of him who is pure truth, by
him who alone hath created all things by his word. That thou cast out from thee every
phantom, perversion and deceit of the enemy and may the virtue, truth and power of God
enter into thee so thou mayst give light and chase far from us all fear and terror. °'
Then he sprinkled and censed them and wrapped them in clean linen and set them
aside. Thur, in the same manner with the help that Morven's power as a witch (for
nowadays we would say as a medium) gave him, consecrated every article, no matter
how small or insignificant, which was to be used within the great circle.
For, to aid that extreme concentration of mind that would be necessary it was
essential that everything he should use should already have the magical will directed into
it, so that on the great night everything should assist to guide his will to that one purpose.
When all was finished, Thur, who had already blessed so many articles that night,
also blessed Morven saying: "Get thee to bed, beloved child. Sleep and may all holy
angels guard and preserve you from harm, both in this life and in the life to come. "

Music magic

Thur and Morven were again in the triple circle in the day and hour of Mercury.
Work that night was making talismans for protection. The brazier was glowing. Upon the
table were consecrated pens and ink, dried frogs' skins, beeswax, herbs and spices, the
sprinkler and consecrated water, the burin and the. white-handled knife. Taking prepared
candies Thur placed and lighted them, exorcising them thus: "I exorcise thee, O creature
of fire, in the name of the sovereign and eternal Lord, by his ineffable name, which is
Yod He Vau He. By the name of power, El: that thou mayst enlighten the hearts of all the
spirits which we shall call unto this circle, so that they may appear before us without
fraud or deceit, through him who hath created all things. Amen. " Followed the reciting of
the three psalms of David already quoted. Then this invocation. "Adonai, most powerful,
El, most strong, Agla, most holy. On, most righteous, Azoth, the beginning and the end.
Thou who hast established all things in thy wisdom. Thou who hast chosen Abraham as
thy faithful servant and who hast promised him that his seed shall in all nations of the
earth be blessed and multiplied as the stars of heaven. Thou, who hast appeared to thy
servant Moses in the midst of the burning bush and hast made him walk dry-foot through
the Red Sea and gavest the law to him on Mount Sinai. Thou, who granted unto Solomon
these pentacles by thy great mercy, for the preservation of both soul and body, we most
humbly implore and supplicate thy holy majesty, that these pentacles may be consecrated
by thy power and prepared in such a manner that they may obtain virtue and strength
against all adverse spirits and creatures, through thee, O most holy Adonai, whose
kingdom empire and principality remaineth and endureth for ever without end. Amen."
Morven was so uplifted by this impressive invocation that she felt power grow
and magnify within her and so knew that what she made would really protect the wearer.
Taking a piece of consecrated wax and warming it in the brazier she deftly moulded it
into a tiny figure, using the warmed white-handled knife to form details. When ready, she
cut off the top of the head. With the knife's point she inscribed magical characters, as
though writing them on the brain itself. These symbols thus becoming part of the wearer's
organism, the knowledge of

protection from danger would become part of his mentality and the instinct for self
protection increased a hundred-fold, with increased ingenuity in evasion and enhanced
perception of threatening danger springing from the very centre of his brain.
She replaced the scalp and carved further characters (emphasising the need for
caution and watchfulness) on it. Altogether she prepared four figures in exactly the same
manner.
While Morven was so occupied Thur wrote kabalistic signs on the frog skins;
when he finished he glanced at Morven. "We need the hairs of one well disposed. I am
well disposed so here is a hair from my head for thee, Morven; but I think for the others
and for me, we shall need yours." So saying he pulled red-gold hairs from her scalp and
softening the waxen heads in the brazier, he pressed a hair into each and one of his own
into the figure for Morven. Then he sprinkled and censed them all, pronouncing the spell
of invisibility. "Melatron, Metakh, Beroth, Noth, Venibbeth, Mach, and all ye. I conjure
thee O figure of wax, by the living God and by the virtue of these characters and words,
that thou holdest the eyes of all beholders and render him who carries thee invisible
whenever he beareth thee with him."
Then each manikin was wrapped in a frog skin as a garment, and carefully laid
away till wanted.
Morven looked at him longingly, wonderingly. "They may help," she said, "at
least they will do no scath, but my heart misgives me."
"Be not so dismal, child, did you not tell me 'twas our own fears made danger real
to us?"
"I did, but I fear that against danger my powers fail, I quail myself as I never did
before."
"Come, child, never despair; you have power, but you must learn to concentrate it.
Remember, 'tis the hardest thing of all to do, to concentrate when a beloved one is in
danger; but it can be done. "
"You think I have power; that gives me hope, Thur."
But all the time she was thinking: "Am I but saving him for the Lady of Keyes
who has so much beauty? And beauty is her power, I too have beauty, but what was the
use of that when he never looks at me?"
She sighed, then started. "Someone is at the door, Thur." Thur cocked his ear: a
scratching noise came from below. "Friends," he said laconically. She hurriedly slipped
on her dress as he went down and soon returned with Jan and Olaf The very presence of
Jan drove her spirits deeper into the mire. Why had he come at this time of all others? She
smiled at him, but he scarcely noticed her.

Olaf greeted her warmly, pressing her hand in both of his. "Why, Morven, how ...
how ... " he broke off shyly.
"We looked for you long ere this," said Thur.
Morven set about getting supper, moving lightly, listening to the talk.
"We dared not," said Olaf. "Even now we are here more by chance than by good
cunning, but mother has gone to a neighbour for the night and someone had to come, so
we risked it."
"What said she at your long absence?" Thur asked.
"What did she not say?" said Jan.
"She will wipe the earth with you, Thur, when she catches you," Olaf warned him.
"Catch me first," said Thur. "What reason did you give for your absence?"
"That we were dutifully returning to the fold with you on a visit to her when one
came after you to summon you to your brother's death bed, and as there were many
robbers and masterless men abroad and not safe for a single man to travel, we went with
you," said Jan. "And she said she knew not that you had a brother, so did not believe it. "
Morven having finished preparing supper slipped out into the garden, but Olaf ran
after her and almost dragged her in, so reluctant was she to face Jan and read the
indifference in his eyes.
"Look, Jan, behold our witch ... this miracle of beauty we knew not of when we
rode through the waters of Wanda by the mere. " Olaf had lost his shyness and found his
tongue.
Jan looked; but his mind's eye could only see the dark, shining beauty in saffron
who entranced him. Morven knew it, though he bowed courteously saying how glad he
was to see her in such good health ... His self-possession hurt her; she knew that had he
been confronted by the bride of Jocelyn he would have become scarlet with tongue-tied
adoration.
She. turned away and spoke to Olaf, saying she knew not what: words coming
from her in little gasps of irrepressible dismay. "Thur, I ... we ... were talking of power. "
"Come to supper, try this pasty," Thur enjoined, cutting liberally.
"Speak no more of power." Jan's vehemence was marred by a full mouth. "Olaf
shall go no more into that accursed triangle, my heart fails when I think I nearly had him
slain."
"So," Thur retorted, "you give up?"
"Give up," said Jan, startled. "Give up!"
Morven watched him. across the table, her lambent eyes seeming to grow to twice
their size.

Jan marked their fire and her parted upper lip lifted from small even teeth. "No,"
he protested. "Go on I must, never will I withdraw while life is in me."
Morven's sigh of relief was audible; her mouth closed,to its normal curve of firm
sweetness with its extreme fullness of lower lip. Jan drank deeply of his ale cup; set it
down with a bang; then emphatically: "But not with my brother, I alone and you with me,
and you with Thur, but not Olaf."
"And Morven?" asked Thur.
"Morven ... ?"
"Were we not bidden to seek her?"
"True," Jan agreed, then went on ungraciously; airing his grievance: "What hope
have we? I thought we would get a powerful old witch, full of malice and evil who could
bewitch Fitz-Urse and his cursed following to death and damnation; but what do we get?
A terrified, starving woman who turns out to be a slip of a wench ... harmless ... useless ...
"
Again, Morven's grey-green eyes dilated; the fire in them flamed, the lip lifted. "I,
useless? Harmless?" She shot a queer, sly glance into the corner where Thur's harp stood.
"At least I can play the harp."
The remark seemed so inconsequent that Jan ignored it and went on: "Aye,
harmless, Morven. If you have malice in your heart and strength in our mind, you keep
them well hid, I have seen naught of them. " "Canst see this?" she cried. In a flash she
was round the table, flinging herself unexpectedly upon him as he sat sprawling
sideways. Perching herself upon his knees, her arms around his neck, she kissed him full
on the lips, then, drawing herself away, her arms still on his shoulders, she scanned him
narrowly beneath her lowered lashes.
"So did Mistress Delilah with her power overthrow the colossus Samson,"
laughed Thur, highly amused.
"Do you mean you would so use Fitz-Urse ... steal into his castle, play the harp,
subdue him so, then open to us? 'Tis a wonderful idea," said Jan wonderingly. He placed
a huge paw on each side of the slender waist to hold her steady on his inexpert knee and
looked at her with kindly interest: "Is that your plan?"
"The gods be good to us. I mean, Christ and all the holy saints," commented Thur.
Olaf guffawed: "Even the high gods and the holy saints can't mend a dolt."
Morven rose slowly; ignoring them superbly. "Yes ... if needs be," she muttered in
a dull tone, "I will do even that to further your ends, Jan."
"My thanks, Morven. "

A silence fell, which all felt in their bones ... save Jan. To break this Olaf cast
about in his mind. "What is all this story about Fitz-Urse, why rode he hither?"
"O, he oft comes here to see the Esquire; 'tis in his lordship after all."
"Have done with all this gossip about Fitz-Urse, his taxes and marketing," cried
Morven. "Him we need not fear, for is he not to be brought low after the manner of
Samson?"
The men nodded puzzled assent, and Morven continued: "Then it is to this that
our minds must be turned, especially as Alice told me (ere she left) that he had gone,
taking his esquire and half his men with him. "
"Here is the very voice of wisdom," Thur admitted admiringly. "Speak on, O
Witch of Wanda, for it would seem that yon comely head of thine bursts with knowledge.
"
"I have discovered that certain members of the witch cult live in the forest
hereabouts, and 'tis said that some be stout lads who shun not a fight. I may have power
to move them to our service, could I but reach them. "
"How many are there?" queried Jan eagerly.
"They may number fifty, I know not for certain," replied Morven.
"But who are they? What are they?" asked Olaf,
"People of the Old Faith are everywhere. By force they are made followers of
Christ (at least externally) but in their hearts they love the old gods, and them they serve,
in divers ways, when the call comes."
"Said I not that she had power?" Thur demanded proudly. "Power to think and
plan wisely in our cause? O Bartzebal, we owe thee much?"
Seeing that she had captured Jan's attention, Morven hastened on: "If, on the
morrow, I donned boys' clothes and rode with you and Olaf, would thy mother give me
shelter for the night? Thus would I meet thy mother, Jan, and with the dawn I would
depart, saying that Thur had bidden me to meet him at a certain hour and place. I have
heard that the people of the witch cult band together at St. Catherine's Hill, and that is but
a league beyond thy mother's farm."
"An you could get us help that way, 'twould be a godsend," said Thur. "But will
they help you?"
"I can but try," she answered.
"Then I will meet you in the forest where the main fork of the Stour crosses the
track. Olaf will show you the place, you must not ride alone into the town, I will bring
your woman's gear with me. What say you, Jan?"
But Jan looked woefully doubtful. "Our mother ..." he hesitated and looked at
Olaf uncomfortably.

"Yes, our lady mother ... " said Olaf rolling his eyes Morven could not help but
laugh.
"You mean she would not welcome me?"
"She will not," Olaf affirmed, and Jan gave a short, gusty laugh. "In effect, our
mother, who would try the patience of every saint in heaven, wore out mine long ago!"
"And mine," echoed Olaf. "One more hearth-storm like the last, and I am off to
the greenwood. Would thy people welcome me there, Morven?"
"Nay, lad, we speak of serious matters," Thur expostulated.
"I did not speak in jest," replied Olaf, who suddenly looked older and more
resolute than his years warranted.
Thur glanced at Morven, who queried: "Does your mother ride?"
"She does not," answered Jan. "Did she so, she would be a wiser woman. "
Morven smiled. "There be more ways than one of dealing with a shrew, so say
that you will ride with me to St. Catherine's Hill (as they call it now, though better is it
known as Kerewiden's Hill) and I will risk the night there. "
"My thanks," said Jan, "But as we came here with farm waggons, we must away
with them, so we start at dawn, " and with that he rose, lifting his empty platter. All
followed his lead in tidying away, and then, as they sat round the fire with the
consciousness of labour done, Thur brought the harp from the corner and brought a stool,
to which he led Morven, saying: "Play and sing to us, child."
Well pleased, she lovingly tuned the instrument, and as she drew her fingers
across the strings, ripples of melody jewels fell from them, followed by a few careless
chords that had in them the sweetness of the sistra shaken by priestesses in the ancient
temples of Isis; sounds which held all magic in them, and then Morven began to sing:
"Beneath a tree she danced alone; 
The crescent moon on high 
Kept watch and shed a silver zone
On mime and sanctity.
Her gestures were of holy shape, 
Her smile all saintliness. 
Her red-gold hair let down to drape
Her form in loveliness.

She swayed, and as her body bent 
She poised, now high, now low, 
As piety and fervour spent 
Her passion's fiery glow.
Her soul was loosed upon a quest
Of ancient, tragic worth.
She proffered all her skill and zest 
To bring a thought to birth.
She came, devoid of wealth and caste
To dance beneath a tree. 
Shunned by the world, a lone outcast,
A happy witch was she.
Before the sound of her voice had died away, there was a loud knocking on the
door. "Open, open, in the name of the law."
Sergeant Byles had been left in charge of the castle and town while the esquire
was away, and was as trustworthy as any of the band of villains gathered round him. In
any case there was not much danger of attack; much of the surrounding country belonged
to the Church and the barons to the south were peaceable men. Strolling robbers were few
and the town's defenses were proof against any attack they could make. So Esquire
Walter's absence made it possible for Byles to put a longcherished scheme into action.
From the moment he had looked into Morven's eyes at the guard house, she had inflamed
his blood; he could neither rest nor sleep because of her. He had tried several times to
contact her in the market or elsewhere, but she never stirred abroad without Dame Alice.
He dare not molest women in the market place; Esquire Walter ruled his men with an iron
hand. No trouble with women in town was his rule, enforced with branding iron and
gibbet. So Byles burned and brooded, now came his time, ready and ripe for his purpose.
He had been drinking, but not heavily, but enough to raise his courage to the height of his
purpose. All day he had brooded over his plan. As night fell he placed trusty men on
guard and set forth with five cronies who would do what he wished.
At the castle he told his second-in-command he was going to patrol the town,
searching for possible outlaws who might filter into it, as Esquire Walter had taken half
the small garrison away with him. To keep up this pretence, he searched half a dozen
houses, earning nothing but sullen

looks and a few mugs of ale. Finally he came to Thur's house and thundered at the door,
calling: "Open, open, in the name of the law."
"But this is the house of Thur, the leech," objected one of his men. "A
well-favoured man and not one to cross. "
"Peace," roared Byles. "Are not my commands enough? Knock I say."
Morven meanwhile had dropped her harp and ran to the staircase, beckoning the
Bonders to follow. Thur lingered only to throw two tankards into the cupboard before he
went into the shop. "Coming, coming," he called, slowly unbarring the door. "What's to
do, Byles?" he demanded.
"Orders, Master Leech. Orders to search."
"For what?"
"No offence, there was some trouble and 'tis said some miscreants have got into
the town."
"Do you suppose I would hide criminals?" Thur's brows gathered in a frown and
he looked menacingly at Byles.
"Not so, good master. No offence, but duty is duty, your house is on the town's
edge, and without your knowledge they might steal inside."
"And I bear the blame since a householder is responsible," Thur grumbled, his
mind tussling on the problem; for Byles had a right to search. "Ah, very well, search an
you must. "
Morven and the Bonders were in Thur's sleeping room; the wall of the end gable
was four feet high, topped by a heavy beam, the wall plate, supporting the roof beams.
Morven pulled out two huge nails and showed that one end of the wall plate was false
and movable. Inside were the magic instruments: parchments and the manikins they had
just made; snatching two, she gave one each to the astonished brothers. "Here, take these,
wear them always, they will protect you from harm. Now, in with you both, creep along,
it runs the whole length of the wall, push the instruments in front of you, 'tis narrow
quarters, but you may lie snug."
One after the other the Bonders crawled and wriggled into the hold; Jan pushing
the instruments before him. When they were safely in, Morven replaced the false end and
the nails that secured it in place, and returned to the room below. She descended the
stairs, a vivid figure, her low-cut green dress slipping from her shoulders and red hair
glowing in the grey stone staircase, lit by two flickering lamps. Slowly she lifted her right
hand and brushed back her hair; a sign agreed between her and Thur that all was safe.
Relieved, Thur turned to stare at Byles, reading in his eyes as they roved over the girl's
face and figure the secret of his visit. In the tense silence Morven sensed the cause of the
disturbance; she was well aware both of Thur's anger and helplessness and his anxiety for
her and

the Bonders' safety. Byles made a gesture, part greeting, part conciliation: "Give you
good even, mistress," he said civilly, passing the tip of his tongue round his lips.
Morven inclined her head in acknowledgment, moved slowly across the room,
and sat down, taking up her harp again. Byles followed her with famished, wolfish eyes.
Thur looked at him as though he would joyfully strangle him, his fingers itching
to squeeze his throat. "Now, Byles," he called in a tone that made Byles jump. "You came
to search? Away with you and search; all is open to you." He stood in the. centre of the
room, while a farce of searching the cupboards and outhouses was carried out. "What,
nothing?" he jibed. "Well, there remains the upper part, so up with you." Revolving in his
mind, meanwhile, all the hideous possibilities. Should they see the magic circles, would
they report them and Morven? He was one unarmed man against six in armour, he was
her only protection; should he attack them, or they turn on him, he would be killed, and
each man could have his will on her in turn; it was more than a possibility that Byles
would carry Morven away, or even kill her, and if so Jan and Olaf would perish
miserably; fastened in their cramped hiding place. There was silence. The six
men-at-arms standing about awkwardly, they had no wish to search upstairs; no criminals
could be there. Morven sat resting her elbow on the harp, gazing into space; the looks of
all were on her. Byles could not speak, his wits had deserted him. He wanted someone
else to provoke the quarrel.
One of the men yawned. "Thirsty work," he commented.
"Aye," another supported him.
"Aye, aye, 'tis thirsty work," added a third.
Thur flung some money on the table. "Get ye to the Lion's Head and drink to a
better search. "
The men grabbed the money and were making for the street when Byles
interposed: "Not so, my orders were to remain and watch, the town be in danger, and this
house most likely to be raided. Orders are orders, Master Leech. "
Thur saw an opportunity. "So," he commented and went to the cupboard
producing tankards and a six-pint pitcher, which he set down on the table with a bang, at
the same time deftly emptying a small packet of powder into it. "The cask is in the
kitchen, draw and drink."
But Byles was watching him narrowly. He snatched the pitcher and upended it.
The powder fell out. "Rare dusty, your pitchers be, Master Leech. Here, wash this ere you
draw the ale," he said to one of his men.
Thur thought quickly, the men were crowding around the ale butt. He called,
"Morven, fetch thy cloak."

"What now, Master Leech?" Byles protested threateningly.
"My niece is in danger. I am taking her to the castle to place her under the
protection of Dame Upmere who hath a kindness for me. Send one of your men with me,
if you fear for my return."
"Not so fast," retorted Byles, sullenly. "My master has ridden with Fitz-Urse
leaving me in command. The young mistress is safe enough here ... we will see she
comes to no harm," Byles leered.
Morven's voice broke the tense silence. "I am in no danger, good uncle. "
Thur, warned, relaxed. He wanted to tell her at a given signal to run from the
house. Surely he could hold the doorway until she got to a neighbour's house, but how to
get his sword was the first problem, and then how to tell her? The men returned with the
pitcher slopping over and set it on the table with a splash; tankards were filled and they
fell to drinking.
"Your health, mistress. Thur, you are a lucky man; such beauty to brighten up
your dark house. "
Morven smiled and drew her fingers across the strings of the harp.
"Canst sing, sweet mistress?"
"Aye, when I have a mind. "
"Canst tell stories, mistress?" one of the men asked. "Of witches, hobgoblins,
werewolves and such ... ?"
"Nay, of witches I know not, 'tis no talk for Christian folk. We speak not of such
in this honest house, sir. Know you of any such?"
"I? The saints forbid," was the hasty disclaimer.
Then came a knock on the door. Thur strode to open it. Whoever the intruder, he
could not well worsen the situation. Two monks stood there, Brothers Stephen and
Hobden. Thur greeted the former with profound thankfulness: "Brother Stephen, you are
indeed welcome, and I give you a good even, Brother Hobden. Stephen, I have a search
party ... Byles came with evil intent after my niece, on pretext of searching the town for
outlaws. He means mischief without a doubt. If you will conduct her to safety I will hold
them in check as long as there is life in me. "
"The saints be good to us!" exclaimed Hobden.
"Is the wench then so squeamish?"
"She is my niece, Brother," said Thur.
"Aye, aye, have it your way," grumbled Hobden, sourly.
When Morven saw the two ecclesiastics enter, she experienced the first pleasure
she had ever known at the sight of a churchman. She acted the part of a young maiden to
perfection; laying aside the harp and rising; standing meekly, with eyes modestly lowered
and hands clasped before her.

Such a picture of delight and desire did she make that Hobden's sourness and
discontent increased. Byles eyed her with his famished
look. When he saw Hobden he grinned with relief, but when he recognized Stephen the
grin changed to a snarl.
Thur said: "Good Brothers, I have been afflicted by the death of my brother and
my niece has come to live with me to cheer my home. Morven dear, draw some fresh ale
for Brothers Stephen and Hobden. "
She smiled and obeyed. There was a silence among that ill-assorted company.
Normally Hobden would have caroused and gossiped with the soldiers, but Stephen was
neither tippler nor libertine, and most of the monks stood in awe of him; not only because
he was the lord abbot's clerk and an open and indulged favourite, but because there was
about him that which commanded respect and fear. He bore himself with dignity and
authority which none dare dispute. He had much learning, and steadily set his face
against all laxity. Hobden sat down heavily and set to serious drinking. Stephen remained
standing, watching Sergeant Byles, revolving in his mind why God made men so.
"Give ye good even, Brother," said Byles sulkily, when he could endure this calm
scrutiny no longer.
"Good even to you, Byles. I did not look to find you here in the esquire's absence,
methinks the townsfolk were better guarded were you at your post. "
Byles turned away, muttering something about strangers and his duty to search.
"Tush, " was the crisp retort, "you know as well as I do what brought you here. " As
though the matter held no further interest he turned away as Morven entered, and relieved
her of the pitcher.
"Thanks, Brother," she breathed, and went to the cupboard for tankards, filled
them with a pretty grace and carried them to the two guests in turn. Byles watched her
slyly, trying in his tangled mind to reconcile this present mien with the malice which had
snapped out at him just before.
She seated herself, and took up her harp and ran her fingers over the strings
caressingly.
"A song, a song," called one of the soldiers, sprawling on his stool.
"Nay," croaked Hobden, resolved upon spoilsport if he could not enjoy himself in
his own way. "Songs are unhallowed things. Give us a holy hymn or sing not at all. " He
hunched himself on his stool, hugging his knees, in a very ugly humour, while Stephen
watched him with a mocking smile.
Morven knew no hymns but feared to admit it. "Do you sing your favourite,
Brother," she murmured submissively, leaning forward to

peer into his sulky face. Whereupon Hobden began to bellow like a cow in labour,
wherein there was neither rhyme nor rhythm, with Morven striving to pick out an
accompaniment. The din was appalling, then stopped, each participant looking accusingly
at the other.
"No hymns, or we go mad," cried Byles, reasonably enough. "Play to us, mistress,
play!"
Morven complied. At first she struck into a popular ballad, beloved of all
jongleurs, then, without stopping, she glided into another less familiar, and again into a
third.
Thur and Stephen talked in undertones until the brother saw his companion
gradually becoming absorbed in the music, as did the men-at-arms. They were silent now;
drinking in the music with open ears, and Stephen, who was tone deaf (and to whom all
tunes sounded alike) did not listen but fell into an equally absorbed contemplation of the
performer.
Thur was amazed at her proficiency; she seemed to make the harp speak. He
recognised that her first tentative playing had gone. With every passing moment she
gained an assurance as of one who, having long been deprived of the means, comes again
to execution and self-expression with joy and exaltation. Imperceptibly she had stolen
away from the ballad and seemed to be improvising: a steady, monotonous beat and yet
incredibly sweet. Thur was struck a new pang by her loveliness; the faint apple-blossom
tints in her face set against the glancing lights of her hair; the grey-green eyes with
golden sparks burning with a strange intensity.
The steady throb went on. All the men were fascinated, watching her hands, her
arms, curved and slender like the necks of swans in the dusk. She had true musician's
hands, capable yet artistic and sensitive, with wide spaced supple fingers, beautiful in
their agility. The music throbbed on, infinitely sweet, yet incredibly exciting, as the beat
increased in tempo.
Thur watched and heard in the same breathless silence that held all save Stephen,
to whom it was of no import, and who sat thinking his own chaotic thoughts, though
watching the performer.
What was happening? Thur asked himself. The flashing pink-tipped fingers
brought to his mind small, white-crested waves lapping over yellow sands. Was that
throbbing undertone, the beating hooves of a distant horse at a gallop? No, it was the
beating of a heart, his own heart beating steadily, pulse for pulse with those vibrating
strings, "but surely faster than a heart should beat. " A thought somewhat terrifying. He
darted a look round and saw with a chill through his spine, the similar

The spirit dantilion 

"Now you are of the brotherhood," said Morven next day. "'Tis best that you seek
Evan. Gull's Egg."
"But where do we start?" asked Jan. "To seek you we bad at least the name
Wanda."
"I think we have a clue," she replied. "It smacks of the sea near Dunbrand, I think.
"
"True rede," said Thur. "Bartzebal dare not speak falsely while he were in the
triangle but we dare not go to Dunbrand and ask for Evan Gull's Egg without some
reason; folk would talk and talk would go straight to Fitz-Urse."
"Nay," she said, "go first to Simon Pipeadder, he is old and I think hath much
knowledge. He will obey you now you are of the brotherhood."
So that night Thur consulted the stars, and finding them favourable the three men
started out the next morning.
Arriving at the outskirts of Jan's farm, Truda the goose girl soon brought old
Simon. At first he was not helpful; "Na na, maister, 'tis turrible risky, and mistress be like
a demon unloosed these days. She ses you brought a devil straight from hell, maister Jan,
and she skeered un away wi' her holy water, tha-at she du, so she beats us all who had
truck wi’ un.”
"Yes, yes, Simon, but how may a castle be stormed unless we come to it?”
Simon shook his head with vigorous obstinacy; "Na, maister, it be turrible risky."
"But you do know Evan Cull's Egg?"
"Aye, maister."
"Well, to take the castle we must fight. We may not fight without risk. Would you
have us cowards?"
"What want you wi' Evan Gull's Egg? He be an outlander and turrible unchancy."
"Would he betray us, think you?"
"Nay, perhaps not; he hates the Normans. But he loves money and he be not o' the
brotherhood. "
"But I am," said Jan, describing a pentacle in the air with his thumb

thrust between his fingers.
"O, maister Jan, maister Jan! Thou hast been spying, thou knowest not the way
into a circle."
"I was taken," said Jan, "with two passwords and I received a third."
"And where was he that led lee into circle? Answer me that," gasped Simon.
"She led me from behind," said Jan.
"O, maister Jan, maister Jan, this is happiness," gasped Simon. "Truly thou art of
the brotherhood, but how far hast gone?"
"I have been through the inverted triangle and through the inverted pentacle," was
the reply.
"O joy, I must ever do as thou sayest, you whom holy Maiden be helping, and
who hast been through pentacle," was the reply. But, turning suspiciously to Thur and
Olaf, "What of these? You should not speak of such,things before outsiders."
"Never fear, Simon. Thur is as I am and Olaf has been through the triangle. "
"Well, well, I must do as thou biddest me, maister, but I like it not and mistress
will sure beat me black and blue when she catches me, I think I derner go back to farm."
"Never mind, go fetch the black mare and send word you are ill and can't come to
work; she may believe it," and old Simon trotted off with a new spring in his gait.
Soon he returned on a powerful black mare, and all four rode steadily till the
forest began to thin and gave way to scattered farms. At the edge of the forest-Simon
drew rein and with an all-embracing sweep of the hand said: "Yonder lies they lands,
maister, as far as the eye can reach and a good bit farder. "
"Aye," muttered the dispossessed, "and what is that beyond? Is that the sea?"
Olaf pointed across the flats to a dark smudge on the skyline. "And that?"
Simon chuckled; "Aye, maister, that be Dunbrand."
The Bonders accepted the fact without comment; the distance was too great for
any details to be seen. "Have you been there since our father's day?"
"Aye, thrice, while castle was building."
"But my grandsire's stronghold?" Jan interposed hastily.
"'Twere gutted by fire, it were an old, ancient place, built they say in good King
Alfred's day, an' folks say 'twere an old Roman castle afore that, and the Bonders came
here from the sea, and lived here free men

afore the Normans ruled the land, and then, well you know how it was, wi' die Fitz-Urses,
an' the fight."
"And only my father escaped?"
"Aye, and me and others you knows of ... I were but thirty then. Lord, it seems but
yesterday."
"I will deal with them ... suitably, so help me God," Jan exclaimed in a burst of
passion.
"Amen to that," said Olaf and Thur together.
"And the castle?"
"Fitz-Urse's building most on it, nigh twenty years it's tuk him, 'tis bare finished
yet. He went to holy land wi' good King Richard, and brought a mort o' queer fashionings
back they say; soft cushions and triflings like that 'as no Christian man has ever seed
afore. "
"How far is it from here?"
"A matter o' three leagues, maister."
They rode on till they came nigh the sea, and a small fishing village lay beneath
them. Simon drew rein and pointed. At first they could see nothing but a jagged line of
clifftop through the haze, then the line broke revealing a great naked rock standing alone
sheer out of the water which surged around its base. Then they picked out a narrow
bridge across the chasm, and what at first appeared to be rugged rocks took the form of
battlements.
Simon pointed; "See that black there, 'tis a gert big cave, wi' water for floor, they
keeps their boats i' it, there be a way fro' there to a ledge where rock overhangs an' there
be another ledge o' top, where tha be a gert big windlass so be as they haul up stores, an' a
postern leads. into castle, an' it was always so but none can get in that way unless they be
hauled up in basket as they do indeed haul up their boat-men; and all the stone for
building did come that way. "
As the castle stood, it looked as if one man could hold it against thousands, so
inapproachable did it seem. They realised also that on the mainland side of the bridge
rose twin towers of a barbican.
"Well," said Thur. "A tough nut to crack, lead us on to Evan Gull's Egg, good
Simon."
"Right, bide ye here, maisters. I go seek un."
"Got un, maister," gasped Simon a little later, pushing an uncouth-looking man.
"'E ses wat do 'ce want wi' 'ee?'
"You are called Evan Gull's Egg?" said Thur.
"Aye, so folks call me" was the surly reply.
"You climb the cliffs for gulls' eggs?"

"Aye."
Thur showed him a groat. "Do you ever get eggs from the castle rock?"
"Na, master, Fitz-Urse loves not any to climb that rock, an' what he dislikes he
shows wi' arrows."
"But you have climbed it?"
Evan gave him a shrewd look but said nothing. Thur showed him a gold besant.
The man's breath caught in his throat but he said nothing:
"I would climb that rock. Is there a way?"
"Master, I ha' a throat and my wife has one and so ha' my three childer. If any go
up that rock, Fitz-Urse will blame it on me and five throats will be slit. He knoweth well
none other could do it."
Thur placed three more pieces by the first.
The man's eyes glistened. "What's your will?" he whispered.
"There is a postern that leads to the great windlass; set me with some of my
friends outside it some dark night."
"That way be right perilous, but I might on a misty, moonlight night; but I must
ha' twenty-five pieces, wi' the king's majesty's head on un. I can climb and fix ropes, so
ye may follow safely, perhaps; but, you understand, you pay me the money, half ere we
start, half when I set ye on the ledge. What ye do then I know not nor care. I'll ha' ma
woman and childer i' ma cobble below and wi' the money I go wi' them, days along the
coast ere I dare put me ashore where I buy me a farm. I dursent live here after. "
"Twenty-five pieces of gold? Impossible," exclaimed Thur,
"So, 'tis impossible I go for less," said Evan; getting up and making as if to go
away.
Thur motioned him to stay. "'Tis a mighty sum, friend, and not easy to come by.
But an I can get it, wilt do truly as you have said and not betray me to the Normans?"
Evan spat; "I love not Fitz-Urse an' his brood, I'd do un an ill-turn an I could wi'
safety. I'll not betray 'ee. But I must ha' what will let me settle in a new country far away.
Send word by Simon here an you want me," and he rose and shambled off.
"Twenty-five pieces of gold, 'tis a king's ransom," gasped Jan. "Hast got it, Thur?"
"Not I, but I might borrow. I have a house, but I know not who might lend. If
good King Richard had not banished all the Jews, 'twould have been easy. I can but try,
for truly I see no other way, and Bartzebal clearly said Evan would allow us up the secret
path."
Old Simon rejoined them, all bandaged up.
"What has happened, man?" gasped Jan.

"'Tis naught, maister. I ha' been ripped by a gert boar. Kit did un wi' his knife and
tied me up, I'll tell mistress. I were 'urt lad and I swooned away like, and only cum to
hours arter. I'll get off a cudgelling an' I'll du no work for days like now. A man wat's been
half-killed like canna work for many days arter."
Jan goggled. "So that's the way of it? I remember something like this happened to
you before, last year, was it false also?"
"Aye, maister, I do be too aged to be cudgelled like ... "
Thur and Olaf were roaring with laughter, so in the end Jan laughed too, and they
all set out for home.
Morven greeted Thur when he reached the house with; "Brother Stephen has been
waiting to see you all day, I fear there is somewhat toward, but tell me how you fared?"
"None too well, none too ill," he replied wearily. "We found Evan Gull's Egg, and
he may help us at a price, but 'tis a heavy one and I see not the way too clearly as yet, but
there will be a way, never fear.
"But what wants Stephen?" (as Brother Stephen rose to greet him as he entered)
"I would speak with you, Thur, alone," and he glanced at Morven,
Thur dismissed her with a nod. "Speak freely, friend, there be none to hear."
Stephen hesitated. "What I have to say must be secret for your sake as well as
mine."
"As the grave," said Thur.
"Thur, I think you have often wondered what I do here. Thou knowest I have my
school in Paris."
Thur nodded.
"Thur, thou hast seen my horoscope, Jupiter is in exaltation with the sun and all
the other signs show the same thing. I can do great things for myself and others, and my
country, in a way that will be ever remembered. Now and in the next month I will have
the opportunity in this little town of St. Clare, and nowhere else. Now, what may all this
mean?
"How can I tell?" said Thur. "I know I have seen it, but perchance there is an error
in the calculations."
"But we checked it by many astrologers ere I came, and they all tell the same tale;
from France and Italy, Spain and Almain, Bohemia and the heathen Moors, all tell the
same and my friend, Lothair di Signi."
Thur nodded. "Lothair sent me to find it. What we must both have, 'tis as
important for him as it is for me, his horoscope shows it too. You

know, he must have what he wants, to gain power."
"How may I help you friend?" asked Thur.
"Thur, I have wondered and watched and waited and I think I see clearly now.
Thou art working high magic, art magic somehow. That girl Morven haunts me, I dream
of her, Thur, you must work magic for me. Let me gain the power and let me begone."
Thur considered. "Magic is an ill word, what would the lord abbot say?"
"He would say: 'Make me young again or thou burnest, "' was the swift response.
"And I, Stephen, say; 'Work for me or the abbot's men raid the house within the hour,
Thur.' Didst think thou couldst do what thou didst two nights agone and not be noticed?"
Thur started. "What did I do?"
"Thur, half the town heard voices calling long after midnight and all. "
"May not a man have a few friends in for a junketing?"
"'Twas not the sound of men junketing. The smoke and smell of incense, thou
perfumed half the town and an hour after midnight, and as for that burst of black smoke
... the watchers saw it and trembled in their shoes saying: 'The foul fiend himself has
come for the leech and his lamen.' Then, when they saw you both, yestermorn, they said,
'Master Thur be sib with the devil himself.' So half the gossips of the town have been to
the abbey. I had hard work to keep the old man quiet. He wanted to raid you right away
and try what the rack would do. But I lied hard, I said, I knew what you were doing and
I'd get you to work for him. He is worth helping, Thur, if thou canst, for the sake of thy
life and limbs, if for no other reason. But, Thur, you must work for me first.
"Thur, call up the spirits for me this night, or the abbot's. men raid thee in half an
hour, two lay brothers wait outside an I come not soon. They take a sealed letter to the
abbot, so think not to stab me and so silence me that way. You must help me, Thur. "
"An I give you what help I may, wilt help me?"
"How?"
"I want money and I want the abbot kept off me for a time. "
"I can keep the abbot quiet all right, for a time, but I have no money, Thur, canst
not make it by magic?"
"Well then keep the abbot quiet. Money I cannot make, I am no master, but a
beginner, I get no more than advice. Wait, I will tell you my tale."
Stephen listened attentively. "I think I begin to, see," he said. "Well call up the
spirits for me. I can keep my mind on my desires. As for money, I think I can help there.
The abbey has much gold in store, they may

not lend; usury is forbidden to churchmen. But, you can sell your house for say, twenty
gold pieces, and buy it back again in three months for say thirty, the abbey oft does things
like that, and it can be arranged that you may live in it for three months or more. If thou
takest the castle, you will get gold to repay. If thou dost not, well, I think you will not
need any house."
Thur made a wry face. "Thy terms are extortionate, but borrowers may not be
choosers."
Stephen rose. "Well, 'tis settled, I will speak to the abbot, telling him 'tis but a
foolish scare about magic and only a matter of you having some friends in and burning
some drugs that had gone bad. Now, what night wilt call the spirits for me?"
Thur pondered. "I must consult the stars and my parchments, but I know thy stars
are well aspected. I will prepare things in the morn ... come tomorrow night."
The next night, being Thursday the seventh of the new moon Stephen knocked,
and was admitted. After greetings, Thur said: "I have searched the parchments, I think
Dantilion is ,the best spirit for your purpose, he is a duke, great and mighty. His office; is
to teach all the arts and sciences unto any, and to declare the secret councils of anyone;
for he knoweth the thoughts of all men and he can change them at his will. Or at least so
the parchments say. This is a favourable night to call him. Morven and I have made the
pentacles to summon him, if your heart fails you not." "I would face the devil himself,"
came the rejoinder, "and, Thur, I have spoken to the abbot, you can have the gold, an you
sign this parchment, selling your house and its contents for twenty-two pieces, and you
may buy it back again for thirty-two any time within the six months. Will that suit you?
'Twas the best terms I could screw out of him." "Aye, borrowers may not help
themselves," grumbled Thur. "Now, come you up," and he led the way to where Morven
waited by a tub of warm water. Stephen who knew something of the theory of the art
magical, watched with a critical and interested eye, as Thur bathed, and then exorcised
the water, then purified himself, then Morven followed suit, and Stephen was in turn
purified. This being done, :exactly as when evoking Bartzebal, then Thur donned his
linen robe and handing one to Stephen prepared to mount to the loft above.
"Halt no robe for Morven?" demanded Stephen. "It is not seemly that a woman
should stand as God made her. in the presence of clad men. It passeth my understanding
whither hath fled her modesty." Stephen voiced his discontent with an austere kind of
grumpiness, as he eyed her with an unyielding disapproval. It was not so much her,
particular

nakedness to which he objected, as the fact that the nakedness was divided; if nakedness
was needful to the rite, well and good, if no, let all be clothed alike. Such was Stephen's
mind; he knew it was the custom that a witch must work naked to attain full power, but to
his surprise, he found himself excessively disliking the fact that this particular witch was
obeying the law.
He knew they were going to raise spirits; probably through the power of God, but
his natural austerity was such that he made a natural cleavage between sex and God. He
did not consider sex as sinful, he had seen too much of it. In the abbeys there was much
wantonness, but he could never admit to himself that things of the spirit had any
connection with the flesh. When Stephen Langton approached his God he wished to put
from him the idea there could be such a thing as sex. He knew some of the practises of
the. art magical by repute, he knew it was said these things were necessary, but he
approached it with some uneasiness. Could not things be so arranged to suit his own
notions? More power exerted somehow, to cover the weakness that would be caused by
the rites being mutilated?
Go through it he must; he was being driven forward by a stronger mind than his
own. He well knew his fate if he returned having failed in his mission especially through
his own weakness. Yet he had a lurking sense that he should not seek to attain his
ambitions this way. Yet he was amazed and impressed by the paraphernalia, the
thoroughness of the purification, the quotations from holy writ, the repeated mention of
the name of God. He expected something slightly adverse, if not diabolical, or at least
something tending that way, but it was so much a religious service that his mind was
raised to a lofty pitch of sublimity only to be brought to earth again at the sight of
Morven.
"We meet to worship God," he proclaimed, "to beseech him to permit us to
perform marvels. Put on thy raiment, woman, when you enter the presence of God."
Thur paused with one foot on the ladder and turned his head to the speaker, the
light of the lantern threw vast shadows on the walls, turning human beings into the
semblance of giants. Troubled and doubtful, Thur turned the lantern so its rays fell on
Stephen's face, in which the magus read hurt and shock. "We must do as the rite bids,
Stephen," he said. "Morven is necessary to me in the art, I cannot work without her. Thou
knowest she is a witch and so must do as ever witches must do, or her power fails. Rid
you of your distractions if you would succeed. Keep thy mind on thine own wishes; for if
you let the sight of Morven, or aught else perplex you, you lose all your power. You must
be used to nudity,

'tis as you well know, the oldest trick of a mischievous spirit to appear thus, attempting to
divert your mind from its object; you must be above such things."
"But," said Stephen, "God is an unescapable fact. Nudity is another, both are
equally right in their appointed spheres, but they do not meet easily in my mind, it
savoureth of impiety, of blasphemy. So therefore do I protest against this blasphemy. "
"Stephen," said Thur, "a moment ago you spoke of this woman as being as God
made her, then how can it be blasphemy? God cannot blaspheme. We must have Morven,
and we must not limit her power. She enters the circle as my disciple and you as a
suppliant of God's grace. We work as God wills, and if God wills, she be as the rite
demands. If he will not vouchsafe to grant our requests, unless the rite be duly performed,
who are you, a mortal, to object?"
Stephen swallowed. "I fear," he said bluntly.
"Fear naught, keep your mind on your high endeavour and on him who sent you
here; he would have no such scruples. Set your mind on naught but your high desires.
Heed not trifles or all will fail. "
"Lead on," Stephen said grimly repressing further words; striving hard to
overcome his detestation of Morven's beauty. Yes he suddenly realised; that was what he
detested. If she was not so lovely, so exquisite!
But as soon as they entered the loft his mind was distracted by the strange signs
on the walls. The wonderful ceremony of forming the great circle: the consecration of the
fire; the lighting of the lights. The incense, which in this case was cedar, rose, cinnamon,
sandal and aloes. Then the long evocation and the repeated call; Come O Dantilion!
Dantilion come! Being exalted above ye in the power of the most high, 1 say unto you,
obey in the name of the mighty ones, Liachadae and Balachinensis, Paumachia and
Apolgiae Sedes, and of the mighty ones Liachadae, and the ministers of the house of
death. I evoke ye and by evoking conjure thee, and being exalted above thee in the power
of the most high, 1 say unto thee 'Obey'. In the name of him who spoke, and it was, him
whom all creatures and beings obey. 1, whom God hath made in the likeness of God who
is the creator according to his living breath. Come ... In the name which is the voice and
wonder of the almighty God, Eo, strong and unspeakable. O thou spirit Dantilion, 1 say
unto thee 'Obey!' In the name of him who speaks and is. And in every one of these names
of God.El, Elohim, Ehyah, Asher, Zabbaoth, Elion, lah, Tetragrammaton, Shaddai, Lord
God most high. In thy strength 1 say 'Obey.' O spirit Dantilion appear to his servant in a
moment before this circle. In the ineffable name Tetragrammaton, Jehovah. Whose
mighty sound

being exalted in power the pillars are divided; the winds of the firmament groan aloud,
the earth moves in earthquake and all things of the house of heaven and earth and the
dwelling places of darkness are in torment and are confounded in thunder. Come forth O
Dantilion! Dantilion come!"
Stephen watched the room fill with the thick smoke of incense.
"Come O Dantilion!"
The smoke writhed and formed shapes which vanished almost as they were
formed. Stephen's heart beat faster, and through his veins surged that occult frenzy of
excitement which accompanies the fixation of will upon desire. Power! To rule kings. To
create a new law so that his beloved England might obey the same law and obtain the
same protection. There should be no more serfs, and men would be free to go, and love
and worship where they willed, and this is the gift of Stephen of Langton.
"Come O Dantilion! Dantilion, come!"
Stephen stirred uneasily; the strain of keeping his mind fixed wearied him; the
smoke of the incense grew denser. The strain began to hurt, but he determined to bear
this. Power he must have; power to rule kings. A charter of liberty; idly he watched
Morven replenishing the incense. A young girl, no, a flower, a blossom of flesh, her
mouth like a rosebud. He shook himself, never must he have such thoughts, he must keep
his mind clear and fixed; it must not waver in the slightest. He shook himself more
angrily; "Power!"
He looked at the billowing smoke and now noticed that it was flowing in a steady
stream outside the circle as if drawn by a strong draught. The room had now vanished
from view, though the inside of the circle was entirely clear of smoke. He could imagine
that there were spirits in that dense cloud; but they were invisible. Would the ceremony
never end? He must not think of such things; he must concentrate. He knew he must keep
his mind fixed, but he felt as though a sword was piercing his brain from the intense
effort of concentration. He dragged back his thoughts with a supreme effort and
concentrated with renewed vigour.
Then the smoke wavered as an elderly man, carrying a big book, came forward
and stopped before him, at the very edge of the circle. For a second Stephen thought it
was a man who had come into the room for some purpose, but there was such a look of
power in his eyes, such a look of terrible beauty in the awesome face, in which was
neither human weakness, pity nor mercy. There was a soul-freezing glitter in his eyes,
and yet they were kindly. Power radiated from him. Behind him, seen through the
billowing smoke, were crowds of faces; men and

women, changing melting and forming anew.
Thur's voice changed from command to the softness of a greeting, but the spirit
ignored him entrely. Looking at Stephen, he said: "A mortal who knows what he wants!
Most interesting. Dabblers in the occult who trouble us for what they know not, and seek
to entangle us in their petty affairs but weary us. If we were to grant all their boons, as
they ask for them, it would almost always bring about the opposite effect to that which
they had intended. But you know what you want. Fools often ask to be made kings,
though kings have no power save what their ministers give to them, but you have the
correct attitude, and so it may be arranged. I notice also that you do not ask for
happiness."
"Happiness!" The thought struck Stephen like a blow, he looked at Morven, but
now her loveliness entranced him, her sinuous grace, her full red mouth; the smooth
sweet line of her arms; her twin breast buds. She saw his changed glance and shook her
head meaningly.
Stephen started. "No. No. No!" his mind shouted. Happiness was not for him. His
was to be a life of power. To rule men and kingdoms. No time for happiness!
He saw Dantilion was laughing. "You have passed the test, friend," he said. "You
want to be a cardinal and an archbishop. It can be arranged, in time. Now learn.
Archbishop Hubert Walter died over a year ago and men think no successor has yet been
appointed. But the monks of Canterbury, secretly at midnight, have elected their
Sub-Prior Reginald and have sent him to Rome for confirmation. But the secret will leak
out, and Lackland in his rage will force others to elect John de Gray and dispatch him to
Rome for confirmation. The pope will profess that both elections are null, and will
demand a new election by representatives of the monks in his presence. So get ye to
Rome swiftly with what you wot of." He paused: "Now, ye have seen how to summon
me, with a will as strong as steel, and a mind as clear as ice. " He looked round
reflectively. "You will need someone; a woman is best, a witch for preference of course; a
nun perhaps; a young boy will sometimes do, to form a medium between the world of
men and ours. Someone who can give out much power; such as this wench.
"Now I go. Remember all I tell thee. 'Tis needless to dismiss me. I go," and he
dissolved into the intense smoke.
"Thou hast mighty powers," gasped Thur, for as the spirit vanished; the smoke
suddenly invaded the circle. Coughing and spluttering they all dived for the ladder, and
rushing to a window flung open the shutter and hung out gasping

Castles and  lands 

The beams of the full moon struggled to pierce the sea mist as Jan, Thur and Olaf
marshalled their men into several small fishing boats. Olaf was sent with ten archers, to
lie outside the barbican, and stop any messengers who might be sent in or out of the
castle, and also (though he did not know it) to ensure that if the attack failed one Bonder
might survive to carry on the line. All the able-bodied men of the brotherhood from the
forest were there, together with Jan's six men and some fishermen, who also belonged to
the witch cult, and who were good cragsmen.
Jan and Thur had no illusions; if they failed there was a very small chance of there
being any survivors. But they had a good chance if they could get in undetected.
They had laid their plans well. Fitz-Urse with his lady and second son, Rual, had
ridden out that day with twenty men-at-arms and a few servants. Rumour had it they
would not return for several days. This meant there would not be more than thirty
fighting men and a score of servants left in the castle, of these. they knew at least six men
would be on guard in the barbican and so unable to aid their fellows in the castle, if they
could only gain control of the drawbridge before the alarm went.
Evan Gull's Egg was in his little cobble, with his wife and children and much
household gear; he got out and slouched over to Thur, saying; "I am here, show me the
gold."
Thur showed him the twenty-five coins then replaced them in a little pouch. "On
top of the rock," he said.
Evan grunted. "'Tis nigh a man's life to seek new homes and companions. "
"'Tis your own wish," Thur replied.
Evan grunted louder than ever. "Come on an you will." He. sulkily shoved the
little cobble off.
The other boats followed him with muffled oars, and were soon in the mouth of
the cave. There was a rough landing place cut in the rock and some mooring rings. Evan
pointed out some boats hauled up on the sand' inside. the cave. "Fitz-Urse's boats," he
growled. Silently they moored their own boats and landed. Evan led them up steps cut in
the rock, to a wide ledge which ran upwards ending in an open space, about twenty feet
wide, and some fifty feet above the sea. The cliff towered up

Actual magick practices 

? Using athame and calling for your will and 

? Using sigil 

?Using spells.  

?Rites and rituals 

?Chants 

? Spells 

? Runes 

? Charms 

? Casting a circle 

? Creating a talisman 

? Rites, Chants, Spells, Runes, Charms, etc.

?Sigils are just symbols. It becomes a rune when drawn on a stone, crystal, gem, block of wood, stick, any material or piece. 

When carved into a pendant to be worn on the body, it becomes a charm or talisman. 

There is a subtle difference between charm and amulet and talisman.  

Amulet is used around the neck as a pendant to provide protection from evil and danger.  You can also have an amulet as s ring on the finger 

Talisman.  - talisman gives specific power to the wearer.  It may be customized specifically for the wearer to help them with something.  Like a talisman for success in work or a sports match or a betting game.  It could be both general or customized.  It is generally for good luck. Like a talisman for wealth.  Talismans are usually pendants. 

In a previous post, we talked about what a talisman is and why you might want to use your talisman to create more magick in your life! In this post, we delve a little deeper and learn how to use a talisman.

Intention is Key

As we discussed before, each tradition can hold different beliefs about how to choose and charge a talisman. Intention is a key element across all methods. To create a talisman, all you need is an item that resonates with your outcome and focused intention. To charge you talisman with your desire, hold or gaze upon it and project your desired outcomes and feelings onto the talisman.

For example, you might use our Pentagram Talisman Cuff to intend safety for yourself wherever you go. As you gaze or hold the talisman, visualize and feel yourself going about your day protected, safe and happy, projecting these postive and secure images and thoughts onto the piece of jewelry. Now, whenever you look at the talisman on your arm, remind yourself of what it's like to feel safe. Because our feelings create our physical reality, this increases the likehood that you will be safe!

The more you use your talisman for its ordained purpose, the stronger it becomes. This is why we are partial to talismans that we can use and see regularly, such as jewelry or something you can place on your altar or bedside table. 

What Intentions Should I Set?

A talisman can be used to create any sort of change but in our experience, it works best when you use it to cultivate self-empowering intentions. These can include intentions for:

Emotional Healing

Prosperity

Creativity 

Self-Confidence and Self-Love

Blessings and Support from the Universe 

Great Relationships 

New Opportunities 

Vitality

Good Health

...and many others! Remember, positive intentions create positive change!

Recharging and Re-Programming Your Talisman

As time goes on and your talisman gets a regular workout, you may want to re-charge it. Simply feel gratitude for everything the talisman has created for you, repeat the same ritual described above and visualize the talisman working stronger than ever for you.

You may also decide to re-program your talisman for another intention or outcome. To do so, simply picture clear white light washing over the talisman, eliminating anything that no longer serves you. Feel the talisman as a blank slate, and then program it with your new intentions! 

Talismans are truly a great and effective tool to help direct and focus your thoughts and awareness on your desired outcome. Happy magicking with talismans! 

What is a Talisman?

If you're new to the practice of magick, you may not think you're familiar with a talisman. But have you ever worn a necklace for good luck? Or rubbed a rabbit's foot before you headed into a job interview? Well, you've used a talisman before! Of course, this analogy reduces magick into more of a superstition, but so often superstitions are born from a strand of truth.

In its simplest form, a talisman can be defined as an object you have chosen to, whether directly or indirectly, direct energy into or imbue with a specific intention.  

For us, we take the practice of using talismans one step further by using everyday objects such as a piece of jewelry to charge with an intention or emotion we wish to experience in reality. Every time we look at the talisman, we train our hearts and minds to recall our original intention or desire. Overtime, this repetitive behavior programs our intentions into our subconscious through the use of a talisman, greatly increasing the likelihood of our desires coming true!

As with all matters of magick, talismans are seen throughout a number of different traditions. Each has its own beliefs about how to create a talisman. Some parallel one another and others are starkly different. Even non-magickal traditions and religions hold their own talismans, though they don't call it by that name. Think of intricate crosses and coins engraved with the portraits of saints.  Or the four-leaved clover as a symbol of luck in modern culture.

One belief that many traditions share is that the person intended to use talisman should be the one to charge it with their own intentions.

A talisman can be anything. A family heirloom or childhood toy. It can be a found key or foreign coin. A piece of clothing, a simple bracelet, or even a tattoo.

What is important is that the object resonates with your intention. For example, you probably wouldn't choose a knife talisman to bring good luck or improvement to your relationships as it's difficult to feel harmonious feelings of love and support by looking at a knife! Something that invokes congenial feelings such as a rose quartz or The Lovers Card in the tarot would make it much easier to direct and focus your intention for better relationships into! 

Using a talisman is one of the simplest and effective forms of magick you can practice. Try it and we'd love to hear about your experiences with talismans in the comments below! 

Talismans are usually pendants or cuffs or bracelets or arm bands or arm rings. 

But they can be any object. 

Charms 

Charms are any symbolic object or medals that are supposed to bring good luck and take away bad juju.  Charm can be a toy, a button,  a coin or a Saint medal hanging on the window of a car,  it can be a tree of life artifact on your table, many people use vaastu charms artifacts for example an arowana fish charm sitting on the table is used for wealth and prosperity.  It can be used as a pendant, bracelet, box full of charms, in short charm can be almost anything, even a piece of wood, the best part about charm is that it's not customized for a person so anybody can use it and obtain the same benefits.  

The St. Christopher medal is a charm that protects travelers, as St. Christopher is the patron saint of travelers. A series of failures on the US Navy's Vanguard rocket project in the 1960s was blamed on the absence of a St. Christopher medal. One was placed on the next rocket, and it performed perfectly.

A four-leaf clover has always been considered a lucky charm. This old Irish rhyme that explains why:

One leaf is for fame, 
And one leaf is for wealth, 
And one is for a faithful lover, 
And one to bring you glorious health, 
Are all in the four-leaved clover.

A number of lucky charms have religious significance. Fish have come to symbolize the Christian church, possibly because of the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand. However, the Greek word for fish forms an acronym of the initial letters of "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour" in Greek, and this is a more likely explanation. A fish charm attracts wealth and abundance.

The ankh is an ancient Egyptian symbol for everlasting life, and is sometimes known as the cross of life. It provides good luck. It also wards off illness and disease, which means that it can be used as an amulet as well as a charm.

Charm bracelets allow people to wear a number of charms at the same time. Many people have a collection of objects that they use as charms, either singly or together. They do not need to be visible, and can be worn under clothing or carried in a purse, if desired.

Next is something rarely used or only in certain religions.  Similar to a charm it's called taabiz.  It's very different from amulets and talismans.  But it operates like a talisman or amulet.    It's a small box which contains a paper folded or an engraved written prayer text or spell. A small paper inserted into the container or tiny box worn around the neck. 

Examples of taabiz 

images - 2019-09-04T210050.280.jpeg

images - 2019-09-04T205937.722.jpeg

images - 2019-09-04T210012.805.jpeg

Edited by Preety_India

Actual magick practices 

? Using athame and calling for your will and 

? Using sigil 

?Using spells.  

?Rites and rituals 

?Chants 

? Spells 

? Runes 

? Charms 

? Casting a circle 

? Creating a talisman 

? Rites, Chants, Spells, Runes, Charms, etc.

?Sigils are just symbols. It becomes a rune when drawn on a stone, crystal, gem, block of wood, stick, any material or piece. 

When carved into a pendant to be worn on the body, it becomes a charm or talisman. 

What are chants and spells. 

Spells are a little different than prayers.  

Prayers are more in the form of asking whereas spells are more in the form of declaration like exhortation, like so and so will happen or I command it to happen with the help of a divine deity summoned in the spell.  

Chants are simple general or specific(your own created chant) mantras for example "may God bless me" that can be repeated every day as often as possible for remembrance or reminding. 

Types of magic 

Ceremonial magick.. Using athame to draw a circle and then consecrating or purifying objects or persons using sword or ceremonial athame or wand. 

Symbolic magick - using symbols, runes, sigils, talismans etc. Carving of symbols and invoking their meanings   these symbols represent your wishes and emotions.  

Spell, chant magick.  Using spells and chanting, praying, dancing around fires while chanting, singing, sabbat rituals, moonlight dancing, saying mantras while burning herbs into cauldron or fire. 

Drawing a symbol on a wall or a board or farm stand or keeping a charm object on the table is the simplest way of practicing magick.  Magick has 2 parts -Magick and manifestation

Edited by Preety_India

Runes

One of Sweden’s great mysteries surrounds a monolith called the Björketorp Runestone (DR 360 U)(Pronounced Bee-york-kuh-torp). The nearly 14 foot (4.2 meters) stone is located in Blekinge, Sweden, and forms a stone circle with two other blank menhirs, with several other solitary stones in the surrounding regions. It is covered in a Proto-Norse language of Runes which contain a foreboding warning about the stone. One side of the stone reads:

“I, master of the runes, conceal here runes of power. Incessantly (plagued by) maleficence, (doomed to) insidious death (is) he who breaks this (monument).”

The runes on the other side of the stone translate to “Prophecy of Destruction” or “Prediction of Perdition”, which may be in reference to a warning pertaining to the stone’s destruction. In other words– my words– Don’t attempt to destroy this stone or you will surely die

Some scholars have suggested that it is an ancient border marker between the Swedes and the Danes. It has also been thought to have been a fertility shrine or a shrine honoring the Norse god, Odin (All Father). Probably the most predominant theory surrounding the purpose of the monolith is that it was a burial marker, either for a real grave or as a memorial, which necessitated the use of a prophetic warning to prevent the stone’s removal; An archaeological investigation of the area conducted in 1914 did not reveal the presence of any human remains, so the purpose of the stone is still under speculation. Even though the purpose of the stone is unknown, the stone’s mysterious curse seems to be real… at least according to local legend.

When the stone was thought to be an impediment to the land, which a local man desired to cultivate, its removal was attempted. On a day of calm weather and with no winds, the local man piled wood around the stone, so he could heat the stone and then crack it by pouring cool water over the stone’s surface. As the man set fire to the wood surrounding the stone, a gust of wind blew the flames away from the stone and towards the man, setting his hair on fire, and extinguishing the blaze around the Björketorp Runestone. The man, unable to quench the flames, died in terrible, flaming agony.

Whether you believe the story of the curse or not, the stone’s cryptic message and the local legend surrounding it still gives one pause– Why is the Björketorp Runestone still standing after over 14 centuries?

Edited by Preety_India