Ketrumi

Problem defining my purpose

11 posts in this topic

I am 19 years old and I have graduated this year. I studied animation on an art high school and I loved it.

My drive and passion come to these three things: Drawing, Animation and Music (And anything that is closely related to this)

Since I am not student anymore, I should apply for a job. 

And here comes my questions and thoughts:

1.  Do you think I will have enough energy to do all those activities, beside going to a job?
  2.  Is it better to choose one (maybe two) of those passions and stick to them, rather them doing them all?
  3.  Should I focus on some activity which contains all those three things? (Like creating video games for example)
  4. How can I recognize what is the best career path for me?

Maybe the main thing, that I should worry about right now is job and earning some income, but fuuuuck man! 

I am not sure what I should focus on the most right now, but I DO know,

that I would LOVE to be an independent artist. (Whenever it will be music or drawing)

And that's where my confusion comes from, because I can imagine myself being mainly musician, that uses drawings and animations, to spice up his tracks

to be more attractive, but I can also see myself focus on drawing, animation and working more with my hands, than ears.

One thing I know for SURE, that I want to do in life: Being creative, imaginative and provide something new to the art sphere of life.

If I sound like an angsty, wishy washy, daydreaming teenager, that has his own kid dreams,

I left one piece from each of my passions, in this post (1 illustration, 1 animation and 1 section of song, that I am working on)

to prove, that I might have some good starting skills and provide value to the world.

I am aware, that this is not the most conscious post and I might sound like a devil, 

but I can't focus on enlightenment, if my career and purpose is not set yet.

If I sound egoistical and too proud of myself - that is not my intention.

I just wanna prove, that I really want to do art, it makes me happy, I am willing to improve and take criticism.

If those files that I dropped in this Topic are considered as "self-promotion", I can take them down.

doctors assistant.jpg

scena 15 udiv nad kvapkou true.mp4

Wisdom of detachment - drop section.mp3

On 9/1/2019 at 5:54 PM, Ketrumi said:

Why? You are good at drawing. You should spend all your energy to start selling your art, in my opinion. Especially if you still live at home.

Do you think I will have enough energy to do all those activities, beside going to a job?

I tried and did not.

Is it better to choose one (maybe two) of those passions and stick to them, rather them doing them all?

Not maybe two. Just one! You can pivot later if you want.

This reminds me a bit of the life story of the creator of the Big Lez Show. He already felt his life purpose in his heart. No need for distractions of school. He just started creating. If you wanna check that story out, this is a nice interview:

I am aware, that this is not the most conscious post and I might sound like a devil, 

but I can't focus on enlightenment, if my career and purpose is not set yet.

If I sound egoistical and too proud of myself - that is not my intention.

I just wanna prove, that I really want to do art, it makes me happy, I am willing to improve and take criticism.

If those files that I dropped in this Topic are considered as "self-promotion", I can take them down.

Oh my god dude. The level of misplaced guilt is just insane here. Who in your environment is making you feel guilty for wanting to do what makes you happy? Probably some mix of parents, school and society. Really dig deep and get rid of that shit. This is crucial for your mental health. Or do you want to deprive the world of your art, your deepest gift, just so you can be normal and have your current social circle and family approve of you? Toxic path to go down.

Because let me tell you one thing: I used to desperately believe I could do it all. Bit of guitar, bit of sports, some studying, some working, some singing lessons. I am now 26 and have realised that you only get to do one thing well, per phase of your life. The sooner you go through the pain of choosing that one thing, the better. Don't be like me and waste 9 years trying to do multiple passions at once.

What will it be? What is your deepest gift, that you must give to the world? As David Deida would say.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@Ketrumi Find a way :)

You may want to find a job & start promoting your art at the same time, so that you get better known, or you might want to focus on art only. That depends on you possibilities. Just get into the mindset of "doing the work and looking for ways to become an independent artist". 

P.S. You are Slovak, right?  

@Elisabeth

Yes, I am from Slovakia.

Yeah that mindset, that you recommended is quite simple, but true.

Thank you, for your reply. :)

@Elisabeth @Ketrumi hey folks I'm Slovak too, nice to know there are others :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I am 19 years old and I have graduated this year. I studied animation on an art high school and I loved it.

My drive and passion come to these three things: Drawing, Animation and Music (And anything that is closely related to this)

And here comes my questions and thoughts:

1.  Do you think I will have enough energy to do all those activities, beside going to a job?
  2.  Is it better to choose one (maybe two) of those passions and stick to them, rather them doing them all?
  3.  Should I focus on some activity which contains all those three things? (Like creating video games for example)
  4. How can I recognize what is the best career path for me?

Maybe the main thing, that I should worry about right now is job and earning some income, but fuuuuck man! 

I am not sure what I should focus on the most right now, but I DO know,

that I would LOVE to be an independent artist. (Whenever it will be music or drawing)

1. yes

2. not necessarily, they are interrelated, they should be part of your offering skillset

3. it is not necessary, being within narrower niche might be better than mainstream, just be the best you can

4. already word path indicates that it is going to have twists and bumps and hills and  lies 

Start freelancing but don't forget to apply for university ... :P

@Ketrumi Did you finish this school?  uat.sk

Edited by archi

On 7. 10. 2019 at 3:54 PM, archi said:

@Ketrumi Did you finish this school?  uat.sk

Yes I have graduated last year.

I am going to try to get on colledge in next months

@flowboy Thank you very much for the answer! I love your straight up facts <3

(I learned to live with the guilt so much, that I dont even feel it as a guilt anymore, thanks for pointing it out)

On 16-11-2019 at 0:32 PM, Ketrumi said:

@flowboy Thank you very much for the answer! I love your straight up facts <3

(I learned to live with the guilt so much, that I dont even feel it as a guilt anymore, thanks for pointing it out)

?

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/