AlphaAbundance

I give zero shits about helping others, what's the solution to this?

18 posts in this topic

@AlphaAbundance Realize that this attitude comes from a place of ego and a false sense of separation from others. We are all One, and helping others generates positive energy that will benefit you and everyone else in the future, even if it doesn’t happen right away.

Because you probably dont love yourself. When you startbto love yourself your heart will open and you then startbto love "others" which is really yourself.

Seeing as you (ego) can't actually create caring or kindness, which are spontaneous feelings outside of self, the best thing I would suggest is to watch and be mindful of whatever your feelings are. Maybe sometime you will need someone else's help: what does that feel like? To receive and never give back. Do you actually not care at all (equanimity) or is there a hint of negative feeling going on, judging by your words - 'zero shits'? 

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!

@AlphaAbundance why do you feel this is a problem that requires a solution? Who told you to fix this? Why do you feel this way?

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

Bodhisattva Prayer for All Humanity

“May I be a guard for those who need protection,
a guide for those on the path,
a boat, a raft, a bridge for those who wish to cross the flood.
May I be a lamp in the darkness,
a resting place for the weary,
a healing medicine for all who are sick,
a vase of plenty, a tree of miracles.
And for the boundless multitudes of living beings,
may I bring sustenance and awakening,
enduring like the earth and sky
until all beings are freed from sorrow
and all are awakened.”

– Shantideva, Indian Buddhist sage 700 A.D.

Contemplate it, really feel into it, until there is no problem :)

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

@Michael Paul i'm sure when I become enlightened I will directly experience that but in the mean time. What do you mean by positive energy? And helping others when it helps myself is seems to be the same as helping myself.

@Fishy Even before enlightenment if I start to love myself, I will start to love others, want to help others? What do you mean by open your heart (Like heart chakra)?

@MuddyBoots Ok will try to remember to do that. I feel guilty thinking I should want to help others, whenever someone helps me I might try to help back thinking "I should" help them.

@TheAvatarState I think its a problem because your life purpose and enlightenment are both about (to an extent) helping others. So how can I have a life purpose of helping others if I don't care about helping them (possibly this is a belief/identity I created). Leo, family, network and everyone else pretty much (Its not like im going around telling people this shit though lmao)

@okulele It seems like he is just describing how he will help others in a poetic way without explaining why

@AlphaAbundance @AlphaAbundance

54 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@Michael Paul

@Fishy Even before enlightenment if I start to love myself, I will start to love others, want to help others? What do you mean by open your heart (Like heart chakra)?

@MuddyBoots Ok will try to remember to do that. I feel guilty thinking I should want to help others, whenever someone helps me I might try to help back thinking "I should" help them.

@TheAvatarState I think its a problem because your life purpose and enlightenment are both about (to an extent) helping others. So how can I have a life purpose of helping others if I don't care about helping them (possibly this is a belief/identity I created). Leo, family, network and everyone else pretty much (Its not like im going around telling people this shit though lmao)

@okulele It seems like he is just describing how he will help others in a poetic way without 

Yes start right now, give yourself love. I recommend reading "whatever arises love that"  by Matt Kahn. Also look up loving kindness meditation. Yes heart chakra. 

50 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

Enlightenment has nothing to do with helping others. Yogi's sitting in a cave for the rest of their life can achieve enlightenment, then not have the desire to tell another soul. 

You don't actually believe you don't give a shit about others. If that was true, you wouldn't be here asking advice. It's just a facáde you've bought into, a defense mechanism. I'd like you to contemplate why this might be. What are you hiding from yourself? What are you in denial about?

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

3 hours ago, AlphaAbundance said:

^^^

@AlphaAbundance I used to be the same way. I had tons of internal strength but no real love or empathy. Raised as a Christian, I remember praying that God would give me a heart.

Ask the Divine/All/Source/Braham, etc to give you a heart full of love. That prayer will be honored.....always, imo.

People usually have lots of strength or love but seldom naturally both. The one we are short on must be sought. Ive found beauty is tied to love. Once love blossoms, the ability to perceive beauty increases and the world is less grey. This is huge. It was critical to finding my way to true happiness.

First, you must find for yourself what love actually is. It is not a feeling because drugs can induce those feelings. It is a choice to serve others and lift them up. It is not a feeling but an intentional state of being and action. Go seek it and you will find it - as I did. It might take many years of development.

Edited by Matt8800

I will give a different point of view. I'd say first take care of yourself before you can take care of others. Fill your cup and eventually it starts oveflowing on itself. Don't try to give away the water of your strength from your cup to the cups of others if you feel like you are losing water from your own cup. If you are not truly ready to give, it will not even be a transaction; It will simply be spilling on the floor and be lost for both. Modern society is full of people pretending to be empathethic and compassionate. A person that is deemed as "nice" can have just as much ego —if not more— than people who seems selfish. It's just ego operating in a different way. Ego is not determined by surface-level selfishness. And in fact, compassion is not empathy. To be soft and warm is not to be compassionate per se. Compassion is seeing what the situation requires, in accordance to your current level of consciousness and energy; It's a sense of deep responsibility for one another, a sense of you having a responsibility to make the situation as much a win-win outcome as much as possible. Empathy is a soft, kind, warm way of relating to one another. It can be helpful in some situations, but in many other situations it can actually be harmful. Compassion is more intelligent, more total than empathy.

I'd encourage you to keep being self-centered, but without necessarily being inconsiderate or indifferent to others, even if it's just an inner attitude you carry and not so much behavourial. Be compassionate, but you don't have to be (or seem) kind and a "nice" person. It simply means feeling a responsibility to stay conscious and to have a sense of (unconditioned) integrity.

I am using a new account named "Nightwise". In in fact intend to stop using this account from now on and use that account instead. So I am not planning on using these two account interchangeably or intermittently. Only "Nightwise" from now on. I am doing so merely because I like the username much more. For some reason, that feels to be important to me. 

@Skanzi I have a crush on you. Sorry for saying that out loud!
Your posts are so good that I could have written them myself. Or not!

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

2 hours ago, AlphaAbundance said:

"I give zero shits about helping others, what's the solution to this?"

I just re-read your question and it occurred to me, it sounds a bit abstract. Which 'others' do you mean? Because, although I'd say I care about people I don't know, I watch the news and feel sorry about people suffering in the latest war or disaster somewhere, I don't really care enough to take the world's problems on my shoulders and take practical action, how can I?. I walk past homeless beggars on the street. I feel compassion and have to walk on by. But, if it's someone closer to my own circle - family, friends, neighbours etc then I'd try to do something. Having a relationship of some sort does make a difference, IMO. 

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!

If you're asking for a solution, then that's one shit that you give, probably regularly.