AlphaAbundance

What is the purpose of running?

24 posts in this topic

Before running, my whole body and mind is sluggish. Like there is some stagnant cells that need to be flushed out.

After running, I feel like a well oiled machine. Everything running smoothly, low chance of break down.

I feel strong, energetic, lighter, healthy. I like the person who I become after running.

To me this is worth a lot. 

To strengthen your cardiac muscle, make your body tissues more efficient at utilizing oxygen, and improve your cell mitochondria (powerhouse of the cell). There are other ways to do this besides running, you could bike, row, hit a heavybag, ect. But running is one of the best forms of steady state cardio.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Mediate/exercise/time in nature/contemplation/self inquiry/connect with the body/runner's high mood elevation, all in one. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

17 hours ago, Knock said:

Before running, my whole body and mind is sluggish. Like there is some stagnant cells that need to be flushed out.

After running, I feel like a well oiled machine. Everything running smoothly, low chance of break down.

I feel strong, energetic, lighter, healthy. I like the person who I become after running.

To me this is worth a lot. 

YES! I LOVE the person I become after running!

1 hour ago, mandyjw said:

Mediate/exercise/time in nature/contemplation/self inquiry/connect with the body/runner's high mood elevation, all in one. 

I can relate to all of these, but self-inquiry? How do you do it?

4 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@TrynaBeTurquoise These improvements to the body like mitochondria, cardiac muscle, etc how do they effect me?

They improve the quality of your overall health and longevity. Your body will be more resilient to stress, your natural energy levels will increase and your cognition will improve too, especially in the short term after running.

Your heart won’t have to work as hard to beat my dude, don’t you care about your poor little heart working overtime to beat extra hard when that energy could be used more efficiently elsewhere? Lol

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

to be "one" in a group (to survive, animal instincts).

it's also related to mid-life crisis (i'm turning 30 in 2 years) running marathons & being more resistant.

CSPRoundup00110.jpg

wp-Jouberts-photo-Riding-a-storm-A-tsaro-lioness-battles-to-control-a-buffalo-cow-on-the-run..jpg

Edited by Soulbass

When I run I try to push myself to my limits.

Basically I discovered that when I run, what makes me stop is not the pain.

But simply the voice inside my head telling me to stop and I use it to sort of train myself to have more self-control.

Other benefits could be that it releases chemicals( not sure which). That make me feel better and have more energy.

I've changed my account password to something I don't remember. 

I do not support actualized.org anymore

goodluck

I just love the experience of it all. Being shirtless with the sun bearing down on me, enjoying the natural landscapes as well as houses and buildings, feeling everything in my body come together to work in harmony, reaching that point where my focus is singular but includes everything. You reach that certain point of pure forward kinetic drive where 10 miles can fly by like it's nothing. I've been sidelined for 7 weeks with a meniscus tear that I picked up during a HM, but I'm so ready to get back to even little 1/4 mile jogs and slowly building back up. 

I run pretty often and relate to all of the reasons everyone's listed. For one, I like just being able to keep my body tuned up and I feel better day-to-day knowing that I am capable of running distances (but this relates to all kind of athletic endeavers [even though this may be egoic]).  Other things that were a "pain" like having to walk stairs at work or something you now know are easily doable.  I also get that "runner's high" and just feel really good and free at certain parts of the run, once I shake off the cobwebs & stiffness I typically have. I think there's just something primal and cool about running, too.

It's a great opportunity to get into music as well, running is one of the few things that I find doesn't require insane concentration to do (but obviously it helps) and I can get into listening to a full album I really want to immerse myself into, whereas I'd probably get distracted and pause it (or at elast tune it out) if I were doing it to chores, video games, training martial arts, etc.

Also it just tends to make me feel good after doing it, there's the two qualities you seem to strive for in meditation and life in general--- relaxation and awareness. I find before a run I feel anxious, stiff and rigid yet I still feel sleepy behind the eyes and "tired" and after a run it's alert instead of tired and relaxed instead of rigid. I'd reckon other forms of cardio might help too, and it depends on the intensity level, obviously really pushing it to the limit can just floor you past making you feel fresh afterwords... I still probably feel great afterwords as long as I re-hydrate and eat something.

Edited by CMacD
typo

Well, I think if I am not wrong it releases toxins from your body. 

Running makes me feel good and makes my body strong and healthy. I like to get exercise and I like how it makes me really fit and full of energy. I like running, it's nice to go outside and go for a run, move around. It's really cool to be able to cover long distances with nothing but a pair of shoes.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

I run because I love it. I run because I need it.

I’ve run nearly everyday since 2005. Before that there was four years of cross country and track, and before that two years of middle school track and field. I didn’t really enjoy it as a kid, and didn’t treat it seriously for a lot of reasons, so I don’t count those years. Just the last decade or so, because my running has been voluntary.

More than that, it’s been my lifeline.

It's an easy workout, as I can just take on my shoes and run out the door. No equipment required. However, it is quite boring. Which is why I prefer doing something enjoyable like BJJ or climbing if I can.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

I don't run and I hate moving.

Funny thing my body is perfectly balanced. I m just without heavy muscle.

Running is useless I would better learn how to create an électric impulse to makes my muscles growth without physical effort.

But I push up tho for not looking like an ant

Id say people like running because:

A/overthinging stops

B/they are addicted to the endorphins

The problem is, the typical cardio running produces oxidative stress so it ages you a lot.

The best bet is HIIT.

28 minutes ago, Moreira said:

Id say people like running because:

A/overthinging stops

had someone tell me they liked to run because it gave them time to think lol

B/they are addicted to the endorphins 

interesting, addiction aye? 

The problem is, the typical cardio running produces oxidative stress so it ages you a lot.

but is there not also a cleansing affect?

The best bet is HIIT.

same I enjoy the all encompassing nature of it. Never been a big fan of simply running to run lol but cool trails change my mind