Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Western Buddha

I'm changing my mind about situations all the time.

8 posts in this topic

Hey, I have a question - I've been meditating for 2 years and lately I have noticed that the way I feel and think about situations is changing all the time.
One day I can think about an event from the past and think it was a disaster and the second day I'm thinking about the same situation and think it was a funny one.
Like I really feel like I don't know what is my point of view on my past and. That's causing me to be indecisive
What's going on? could it be because of meditation?

Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.” 

The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

53 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.” 

The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

its a nice story man what does it have do to with my question?

@Western Buddha I think the point is that you both of your points of view of the past are valid.  It's okay to not know your point of view, because it's all relative. You literally can not make a 'wrong' decision, because 'wrong' is only a perspective which you hold. 

14 hours ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Western Buddha I think the point is that you both of your points of view of the past are valid.  It's okay to not know your point of view, because it's all relative. You literally can not make a 'wrong' decision, because 'wrong' is only a perspective which you hold. 

Yeah i think i get where you are going.

But it making decision making so hard.

@Western Buddha perhaps you are getting too caught up in the ideas that 1) there is a 'you' who makes decisions.. and 2) there are 'decisions'.. 

Are you able to take the perspective that 'thoughts' (and therefor your choices) merely arise into awareness.. the same way a tree grows it's leaves.. it grows them this way and that, but there is no 'tree' inside the tree 'deciding' which way to grow them, yet it still does this. 

Also remember that 'being indecisive' is still 'doing something' which wasn't 'your choice'.. you had no problem 'choosing' to 'be indecisive'? you see?